Fried Chicken for Pandora

jmcquown

Guest
Robb Dabb's, don't know what happened to him but he was a poster on another
food ng, knows how to make American (southern) Fried Chicken! Here's his
recipe:

2-1/2 lbs. cut up chicken
1/2 c. seasoned flour
2 Tablespoons salt (that is not a typo)
1/4 c. butter
1/2 c. vegetable shortening or lard

In a shallow bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper. In a large, heavy
skillet [cast iron preferred] combine equal portions of butter and
shortening or lard. When butter and shortening are melted, fat should be
1/4 inch deep. Heat until a drop of water sizzles when flipped into the hot
fat. Dredge chicken pieces in seasoned flour and place in the skillet.
Take care not to crowd the pieces. Brown until the chicken is the colour of
honey oak on one side. Then turn and brown the other side. Brown the meaty
pieces first. Allow 20-30 minutes to brown the chicken on both sides.
Cover. Cook on LOW heat 30 minutes or until chicken is tender. For crispy
chicken, remove cover and increase heat in the last 10 minutes of cooking.
Turn chicken as needed to prevent over-browning.

Jill
--
I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

"jmcquown" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:D[email protected]...
> Robb Dabb's, don't know what happened to him but he was a poster on
> another
> food ng, knows how to make American (southern) Fried Chicken! Here's his
> recipe:
>
> 2-1/2 lbs. cut up chicken
> 1/2 c. seasoned flour
> 2 Tablespoons salt (that is not a typo)
> 1/4 c. butter
> 1/2 c. vegetable shortening or lard
>
> In a shallow bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper. In a large, heavy
> skillet [cast iron preferred] combine equal portions of butter and
> shortening or lard. When butter and shortening are melted, fat should be
> 1/4 inch deep. Heat until a drop of water sizzles when flipped into the
> hot
> fat. Dredge chicken pieces in seasoned flour and place in the skillet.
> Take care not to crowd the pieces. Brown until the chicken is the colour
> of
> honey oak on one side. Then turn and brown the other side. Brown the
> meaty
> pieces first. Allow 20-30 minutes to brown the chicken on both sides.
> Cover. Cook on LOW heat 30 minutes or until chicken is tender. For crispy
> chicken, remove cover and increase heat in the last 10 minutes of cooking.
> Turn chicken as needed to prevent over-browning.

Thank you Jill! This is a very simple recipe! I print also this!
But I want ask you: What is "vegetable shortening"? Is it like margarine?
Thank you very much for your recipe!
Can you send me a photo of a fried chicken?
Cheers
Pandora

"Pandora" <[email protected]> said:

> Can you send me a photo of a fried chicken?

Go here (you can use this link to find pictures of anything!):
http://www.google.com/imghp?hl=en&tab=wi&q=
And type "fried chicken" into the box.

Here are some of the results I got:
http://www.tonidunlap.com/butter_chicken.jpg
http://www.lovelesscafe.com/photos/Fried-chicken-dinner.jpg
http://lesleycooks.tripod.com/maindishes/Dougs_fried_chicken.jpg

This is the type Hag makes (the deep-fried recipe):
http://todaysseniorsnetwork.com/spicy fried chicken.jpg

COOL! Here is a chicken leg (drumstick) that looks like a chicken face!
http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/mcchick.jpg

Carol

"Damsel" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> "Pandora" <[email protected]> said:
>
>> Can you send me a photo of a fried chicken?

> Go here (you can use this link to find pictures of anything!):
> http://www.google.com/imghp?hl=en&tab=wi&q=
> And type "fried chicken" into the box.
>
> Here are some of the results I got:
> http://www.tonidunlap.com/butter_chicken.jpg
> http://www.lovelesscafe.com/photos/Fried-chicken-dinner.jpg
> http://lesleycooks.tripod.com/maindishes/Dougs_fried_chicken.jpg
>
> This is the type Hag makes (the deep-fried recipe):
> http://todaysseniorsnetwork.com/spicy fried chicken.jpg
>
> COOL! Here is a chicken leg (drumstick) that looks like a chicken face!
> http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/mcchick.jpg

I don't believe that this is a leg: it is a chicken's head!!!!!!
In the first link there are very beautiful photos. The chicken seems very
crispy and brown to the right point! The hag's one seems less cooked!
Anyway. Now I have a hole in the stomach :))))))))))))))))))
Carol I don't know how thank you!
THank you very much for the photos and recipes and ....your kindness!!!!
Ciao
Pandora

> Carol

Excuse me, Carol! I've forgotten to ask you a thing: what i Kosher salt?
Thanks
Pandora

"Pandora" <[email protected]> said:

> Excuse me, Carol! I've forgotten to ask you a thing: what i Kosher salt?

Kosher salt is large-grained salt. Larger than table salt. Maybe you
could use sea salt?

Carol

Pandora wrote:
> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:D[email protected]...
>> Robb Dabb's, don't know what happened to him but he was a poster on
>> another
>> food ng, knows how to make American (southern) Fried Chicken!
>> Here's his recipe:
>>
>> 2-1/2 lbs. cut up chicken
>> 1/2 c. seasoned flour
>> 2 Tablespoons salt (that is not a typo)
>> 1/4 c. butter
>> 1/2 c. vegetable shortening or lard
>>

> But I want ask you: What is "vegetable shortening"? Is it like
> margarine? Thank you very much for your recipe!
> Can you send me a photo of a fried chicken?
> Cheers
> Pandora

Vegetable shortening is a white, whipped but solid animal fat substitute.
Can you get lard (rendered beef fat)? If not, use cooking oil instead (but
not olive oil, the taste will be too strong for fried chicken) along with
the butter. It would be healthier than lard but not as authentic.

I see Damsel already got you some photos of pieces of fried chicken.

Jill

"jmcquown" <[email protected]> said:

> Vegetable shortening is a white, whipped but solid animal fat substitute.
> Can you get lard (rendered beef fat)? If not, use cooking oil instead (but
> not olive oil, the taste will be too strong for fried chicken) along with
> the butter. It would be healthier than lard but not as authentic.
>
> I see Damsel already got you some photos of pieces of fried chicken.

Yeah, well, I got up to use the bathroom and stumbled across a family
emergency in progress on Yahoo messenger. Now I'm awake, and have nothing
to do but post pictures of dead chickens. :)

Carol

"Damsel" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> "Pandora" <[email protected]> said:
>
>> > COOL! Here is a chicken leg (drumstick) that looks like a chicken
>> > face!
>> > http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/mcchick.jpg

>> I don't believe that this is a leg: it is a chicken's head!!!!!!

> OMG, you're right! Give that one to Ariane. She likes chicken feet.
> Maybe she'd like a head, too. :)

Who is Ariane? Is a dog? because I had a dog named "Chicco" which loved
chicken feets and chicken heads!!!!
:)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Cheers Carol!!!!

"Damsel" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> "Pandora" <[email protected]> said:
>
>> Excuse me, Carol! I've forgotten to ask you a thing: what i Kosher salt?

> Kosher salt is large-grained salt. Larger than table salt. Maybe you
> could use sea salt?

Why don't you call it coarse salt? Is the same thing or Kosher is a sort of
"coarse and seasoned salt"?
Thanks
Pandora

"Damsel" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> said:
>
>> Vegetable shortening is a white, whipped but solid animal fat substitute.
>> Can you get lard (rendered beef fat)? If not, use cooking oil instead
>> (but
>> not olive oil, the taste will be too strong for fried chicken) along with
>> the butter. It would be healthier than lard but not as authentic.
>>
>> I see Damsel already got you some photos of pieces of fried chicken.

> Yeah, well, I got up to use the bathroom and stumbled across a family
> emergency in progress on Yahoo messenger. Now I'm awake, and have nothing
> to do but post pictures of dead chickens. :)

A fortune that you like alive wingeds :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!
Pandora

"Pandora" <[email protected]> said:

> "Damsel" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:[email protected]...

> >> I don't believe that this is a leg: it is a chicken's head!!!!!!

> > OMG, you're right! Give that one to Ariane. She likes chicken feet.
> > Maybe she'd like a head, too. :)

> Who is Ariane? Is a dog? because I had a dog named "Chicco" which loved
> chicken feets and chicken heads!!!!
> :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
> Cheers Carol!!!!

No, no, no. Ariane is a poster in RFC. She has very adventurous tastes.
She's definitely not a dog!

Carol

"Pandora" <[email protected]> said:

> "Damsel" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Pandora" <[email protected]> said:
> >
> >> Excuse me, Carol! I've forgotten to ask you a thing: what i Kosher salt?

> > Kosher salt is large-grained salt. Larger than table salt. Maybe you
> > could use sea salt?

> Why don't you call it coarse salt? Is the same thing or Kosher is a sort of
> "coarse and seasoned salt"?

Kosher salt doesn't contain any seasoning. Just use coarse salt when a
recipe asks for Kosher. :)

Carol

"Damsel" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> "Pandora" <[email protected]> said:
>
>> "Damsel" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > OMG, you're right! Give that one to Ariane. She likes chicken feet.
>> > Maybe she'd like a head, too. :)

>> Who is Ariane? Is a dog? because I had a dog named "Chicco" which loved
>> chicken feets and chicken heads!!!!
>> :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
>> Cheers Carol!!!!

> No, no, no. Ariane is a poster in RFC. She has very adventurous tastes.
> She's definitely not a dog!

Ohhhhh! But if she isn't a dog and likes feet and heads perhaps she could be
beech-marten :)))) (without offence for the poster, of course!!!)
Cheers
Pandora

"Damsel" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> "Pandora" <[email protected]> said:
>

>> "Damsel" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > Kosher salt is large-grained salt. Larger than table salt. Maybe you
>> > could use sea salt?

>> Why don't you call it coarse salt? Is the same thing or Kosher is a sort
>> of
>> "coarse and seasoned salt"?

> Kosher salt doesn't contain any seasoning. Just use coarse salt when a
> recipe asks for Kosher. :)

Ok, thank you! Now I go to shopping!
Pandora!

"Pandora" <[email protected]> said:

> "Damsel" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Pandora" <[email protected]> said:
> >
> >> "Damsel" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
> >> news:[email protected]...

> >> Who is Ariane? Is a dog? because I had a dog named "Chicco" which loved
> >> chicken feets and chicken heads!!!!
> >> :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
> >> Cheers Carol!!!!

> > No, no, no. Ariane is a poster in RFC. She has very adventurous tastes.
> > She's definitely not a dog!

> Ohhhhh! But if she isn't a dog and likes feet and heads perhaps she could be
> beech-marten :)))) (without offence for the poster, of course!!!)

I'm almost scared to ask. What is a "beech-marten," and is being one a
good thing, or a bad thing?

Carol

Damsel <[email protected]> said:

> "Pandora" <[email protected]> said:
>
> > "Damsel" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
> > news:[email protected]...

> > > No, no, no. Ariane is a poster in RFC. She has very adventurous tastes.
> > > She's definitely not a dog!

> > Ohhhhh! But if she isn't a dog and likes feet and heads perhaps she could be
> > beech-marten :)))) (without offence for the poster, of course!!!)

> I'm almost scared to ask. What is a "beech-marten," and is being one a
> good thing, or a bad thing?

Google to the rescue ...

Well, at least they're cute! And very intelligent.
http://www.valmalenco.it/en/fauna/faina.htm

Mi e' parso che Pandora abbia scritto:

> But I want ask you: What is "vegetable shortening"? Is it
> like margarine? Thank you very much for your recipe!

Usually "shortening" stays for "strutto". In this case, I don't
know what we could find in Italy to use as "vegetable
shortening", but maybe you can use standard strutto.
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'

"Damsel" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> "Pandora" <[email protected]> said:
>
>> "Damsel" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > No, no, no. Ariane is a poster in RFC. She has very adventurous
>> > tastes.
>> > She's definitely not a dog!

>> Ohhhhh! But if she isn't a dog and likes feet and heads perhaps she could
>> be
>> beech-marten :)))) (without offence for the poster, of course!!!)

> I'm almost scared to ask. What is a "beech-marten," and is being one a
> good thing, or a bad thing?

It is a bad thing for chickens because this animal feed itself on chicken's
blood like vampires! First cut with their theeth the head and then sucks
their blood! :((((((( (poor chickens!!!!).
Here is a photo:how do you call this animal? I found ""beech-marten" on
vocabulary, we call it "Faìna".
http://tinypic.com/8vvyvq.jpg

Cheers
Pandora.