Fried Chicken for Pandora

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by jmcquown, Jul 13, 2005.

  1. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    "Vilco" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email protected]
    > Mi e' parso che Pandora abbia scritto:
    >
    >> But I want ask you: What is "vegetable shortening"? Is it
    >> like margarine? Thank you very much for your recipe!

    > Usually "shortening" stays for "strutto". In this case, I don't know what
    > we could find in Italy to use as "vegetable shortening", but maybe you can
    > use standard strutto.

    Thank you Vilco, your advices are always pleasant to me :)
    Pandora

  2. AlleyGator

    AlleyGator Guest

    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

    That sounds easy and good, Jill. I am reminded, though, of just how
    mentally arrogant (or ignorant) I am when I assume the whole world
    "thinks American". It's interesting to me that fried chicken is not
    necessarily a well-known dish around the world. I hope Pandora enjoys
    it immensely.

    --
    The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
    At least now I have an excuse.

  3. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    AlleyGator wrote:
    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > That sounds easy and good, Jill. I am reminded, though, of just how
    > mentally arrogant (or ignorant) I am when I assume the whole world
    > "thinks American". It's interesting to me that fried chicken is not
    > necessarily a well-known dish around the world. I hope Pandora enjoys
    > it immensely.

    Might not be common in Italy but the Chinese have been wok-frying chicken
    for thousands of years. I hope she enjoys it, too.

    Jill

  4. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "AlleyGator" <[email protected]> wrote

    > That sounds easy and good, Jill. I am reminded, though, of just how
    > mentally arrogant (or ignorant) I am when I assume the whole world
    > "thinks American". It's interesting to me that fried chicken is not
    > necessarily a well-known dish around the world. I hope Pandora enjoys
    > it immensely.

    Giada (Everyday Italian) made fried chicken from Italy just the other day.
    It involved lemon, which I don't think I would like. She said they call it
    (surprise) Pollo Frito (sp) ... fried chicken. So, someone in Italy has
    heard of fried chicken.

    nancy

  5. LynneA

    LynneA Guest

    news:D[email protected]
    > Robb Dabb's, don't know what happened to him but he was a poster on
    > another
    > food ng, knows how to make American (southern) Fried Chicken! Here's his
    > recipe:
    >
    > 2-1/2 lbs. cut up chicken
    > 1/2 c. seasoned flour
    > 2 Tablespoons salt (that is not a typo)
    > 1/4 c. butter
    > 1/2 c. vegetable shortening or lard
    >
    > In a shallow bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper. In a large, heavy
    > skillet [cast iron preferred] combine equal portions of butter and
    > shortening or lard. When butter and shortening are melted, fat should be
    > 1/4 inch deep. Heat until a drop of water sizzles when flipped into the
    > hot
    > fat. Dredge chicken pieces in seasoned flour and place in the skillet.
    > Take care not to crowd the pieces. Brown until the chicken is the colour
    > of
    > honey oak on one side. Then turn and brown the other side. Brown the
    > meaty
    > pieces first. Allow 20-30 minutes to brown the chicken on both sides.
    > Cover. Cook on LOW heat 30 minutes or until chicken is tender. For crispy
    > chicken, remove cover and increase heat in the last 10 minutes of cooking.
    > Turn chicken as needed to prevent over-browning.
    >
    > Jill
    > --
    > I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

    This is toooo funny! At some point in the past, I found this version
    *somewhere*, and have been using it ever since. I'm a true Southern gal,
    but my dear aunt passed away while I was still a youngun-no one EVER made
    fried chicken that good, but with this recipe, I come pretty darned close!

    Lynne A
    [email protected]

  6. sf

    sf Guest

    On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:55:08 GMT, Vilco wrote:

    > Mi e' parso che Pandora abbia scritto:
    >
    > > But I want ask you: What is "vegetable shortening"? Is it
    > > like margarine? Thank you very much for your recipe!

    > Usually "shortening" stays for "strutto". In this case, I don't
    > know what we could find in Italy to use as "vegetable
    > shortening", but maybe you can use standard strutto.

    http://www.milioni.com/fats/inglese/dati/8.htm
    It looks like strutto is the equivalent of our lard.

    You don't have whipped vegetable shortening in Italy? It resembles
    lard in appearance, but it's not an animal by-product.
    http://www.crisco.com/about/faqs.asp

  7. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    news:D[email protected]
    > Robb Dabb's, don't know what happened to him but he was a poster on another
    > food ng, knows how to make American (southern) Fried Chicken! Here's his
    > recipe:
    >
    > 2-1/2 lbs. cut up chicken
    > 1/2 c. seasoned flour
    > 2 Tablespoons salt (that is not a typo)
    > 1/4 c. butter
    > 1/2 c. vegetable shortening or lard
    >
    > In a shallow bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper. In a large, heavy
    > skillet [cast iron preferred] combine equal portions of butter and
    > shortening or lard. When butter and shortening are melted, fat should be
    > 1/4 inch deep. Heat until a drop of water sizzles when flipped into the hot
    > fat. Dredge chicken pieces in seasoned flour and place in the skillet.
    > Take care not to crowd the pieces. Brown until the chicken is the colour of
    > honey oak on one side. Then turn and brown the other side. Brown the meaty
    > pieces first. Allow 20-30 minutes to brown the chicken on both sides.
    > Cover. Cook on LOW heat 30 minutes or until chicken is tender. For crispy
    > chicken, remove cover and increase heat in the last 10 minutes of cooking.
    > Turn chicken as needed to prevent over-browning.
    >
    > Jill
    > --
    > I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

    And when you're all done with the chicken drain off all but 2 or 3 tablespoons
    of the fat leaving all of the "browned bits" that have fallen off the chicken.
    Add 2 tablespoons of flour and make a roux - begin adding either chicken stock
    or milk to make a medium thick gravy. Adjust the salt and pepper if necessary
    you can also fry a little poultry seasoning with the roux.

    Serve the gravy on the side with biscuits and honey.

    ( no lunch today walked over to a new Costco across the street, after 15 minutes
    in line said to hell with this) Can you tell I have a appetite?

    Dimitri

  8. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    Pandora wrote:

    ><snip recipe>
    >
    > Thank you Jill! This is a very simple recipe! I print also this!
    > But I want ask you: What is "vegetable shortening"? Is it like margarine?
    > Thank you very much for your recipe!
    > Can you send me a photo of a fried chicken?
    > Cheers
    > Pandora

    Vegetable shortening may translate like 'di grasso solido'. It's
    vegetable oil that has been treated chemically to become solid like lard
    or butter.

  9. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    "sf" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email protected]
    > On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:55:08 GMT, Vilco wrote:
    >
    >> Mi e' parso che Pandora abbia scritto:
    >>
    >> > But I want ask you: What is "vegetable shortening"? Is it
    >> > like margarine? Thank you very much for your recipe!

    >> Usually "shortening" stays for "strutto". In this case, I don't
    >> know what we could find in Italy to use as "vegetable
    >> shortening", but maybe you can use standard strutto.

    > http://www.milioni.com/fats/inglese/dati/8.htm
    > It looks like strutto is the equivalent of our lard.
    >
    > You don't have whipped vegetable shortening in Italy? It resembles
    > lard in appearance, but it's not an animal by-product.
    > http://www.crisco.com/about/faqs.asp

    I will use Strutto. Thank you very much!
    Pandora

  10. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    "Arri London" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email protected]

    > Pandora wrote:
    >>
    >><snip recipe>
    >>
    >> Thank you Jill! This is a very simple recipe! I print also this!
    >> But I want ask you: What is "vegetable shortening"? Is it like margarine?
    >> Thank you very much for your recipe!
    >> Can you send me a photo of a fried chicken?
    >> Cheers
    >> Pandora

    > Vegetable shortening may translate like 'di grasso solido'. It's
    > vegetable oil that has been treated chemically to become solid like lard
    > or butter.

    Thank you! I will use strutto. I don't like chemical treatments.
    Ciao
    Pandora

  11. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    Pandora wrote:

    > "Arri London" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > news:[email protected]
    > >

    > > Pandora wrote:
    > >>
    > >><snip recipe>
    > >>
    > >> Thank you Jill! This is a very simple recipe! I print also this!
    > >> But I want ask you: What is "vegetable shortening"? Is it like margarine?
    > >> Thank you very much for your recipe!
    > >> Can you send me a photo of a fried chicken?
    > >> Cheers
    > >> Pandora

    > > Vegetable shortening may translate like 'di grasso solido'. It's
    > > vegetable oil that has been treated chemically to become solid like lard
    > > or butter.

    > Thank you! I will use strutto. I don't like chemical treatments.
    > Ciao
    > Pandora

    LOL no I don't like chemical treatments either!

  12. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    "Arri London" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email protected]

    > Pandora wrote:
    >>
    >> "Arri London" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >> news:[email protected]

    >> > Vegetable shortening may translate like 'di grasso solido'. It's
    >> > vegetable oil that has been treated chemically to become solid like
    >> > lard
    >> > or butter.

    >> Thank you! I will use strutto. I don't like chemical treatments.
    >> Ciao
    >> Pandora

    > LOL no I don't like chemical treatments either!

    LOL AGAIN! I enjoy this!
    Ciao
    Pandora

  13. Lewzephyr

    Lewzephyr Guest

    On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:57:16 GMT, I needed a babel fish to understand
    "Pandora" <[email protected]> :
    >It is a bad thing for chickens because this animal feed itself on chicken's
    >blood like vampires! First cut with their theeth the head and then sucks
    >their blood! :((((((( (poor chickens!!!!).
    >Here is a photo:how do you call this animal? I found ""beech-marten" on
    >vocabulary, we call it "Faìna".
    >http://tinypic.com/8vvyvq.jpg
    >
    >Cheers
    >Pandora.

    Looks similar to a ferret or a mongoose...
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is
    indistinguishable from magic."
    - Arthur C. Clarke

  14. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    "Lewzephyr" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email protected]
    > On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:57:16 GMT, I needed a babel fish to understand
    > "Pandora" <[email protected]> :
    >>It is a bad thing for chickens because this animal feed itself on
    >>chicken's
    >>blood like vampires! First cut with their theeth the head and then sucks
    >>their blood! :((((((( (poor chickens!!!!).
    >>Here is a photo:how do you call this animal? I found ""beech-marten" on
    >>vocabulary, we call it "Faìna".
    >>http://tinypic.com/8vvyvq.jpg
    >>
    >>Cheers
    >>Pandora.
    >>

    > Looks similar to a ferret or a mongoose...

    Or like a mink!
    Pandora