fried clams

J

John D. Misrahi

Anyone have a good recipe? What should I coat them in? Egg and milk? Then bread crumbs? or
flour? cornmeal?

john

John D. Misrahi wrote:
> Anyone have a good recipe? What should I coat them in? Egg and milk? Then bread crumbs? or flour?
> cornmeal?
>
> john

I'd dip them in an egg wash (beaten egg and water or milk) and then roll them in seasoned flour.
Cornmeal doesn't sound good (to me) for fried clams.

Jill

"John D. Misrahi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anyone have a good recipe? What should I coat them in? Egg and milk? Then bread crumbs? or flour?
> cornmeal?
>
> john
>
Be REALLY careful not to over cook them when frying. The result is fried tire tread.

"John D. Misrahi" wrote:
>
> cornmeal?
>
> john

Peter Hunt's Cape Cod Cookbook says:

Shuck and dry clams. Dip in beaten egg and roll in fine, dry crumbs. Fry in deep hot fat till golden
brown. Drain on brown paper or paper towels. Serve with quartered lemon or catsup. (I suggest tartar
sauce or cocktail sauce instead!)

Clsam fritters

1 c sifted flour 1 tsp. baking powder 1 quart chopped clams 1 beaten egg fat or oil for frying

Mix flour and baking powder. Mix in egg and clams. Drop tablespoonsful into hot fat in a deep
skillet, fry till brown.

***** Farmer Boston Cooking School Cookbook says:

Dip clams in seasoned flour or fritter batter, fry in deep fat heated to 375deg.

Fritter batter: Sift together: 1 cup flour 1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

Beat till fluffy: 2 eggs

Add:
2/3 cup milk 1 tsp. oil dash of lemon juice

Mix with flour only enough to dampen; add clams and fry by tablespoonsful.

gloria p

John D. Misrahi wrote:

> cornmeal?

Rule for coating foods to be fried is: If it's wet, dry it; if it's dry, wet it.

Clams are wet. Dredge them in seasoned flour, egg wash, crumbs or flour. All stages of coating
should be seasoned lightly. Can't go wrong with Old Bay or similar.

But you have to have the right sorts of clams. Big ones will be exceedingly tough. Tiny ones will be
coated more heavily than you're likely to like.

The procedure I use is to toss the clams in a bag with seasoned flour and drop the coated pieces
into a large-hole sieve to get the excess flour off. Drop a few into seasoned egg wash and scoop up
with a slotted spoon. Drop into final flour coat. Scoop up with hands, shake off excess flour and
drop into hot oil (about 350F) for a short time, depending on size. No more than about 2 minutes.
Serve with lemon wedges and/or some sharp cocktail sauce or tartar sauce.

Also good piled into a real-bread roll with shred lettuce and tartar sauce.

Pastorio

In article <[email protected]>,
"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

> John D. Misrahi wrote:
> > Anyone have a good recipe? What should I coat them in? Egg and milk? Then bread crumbs? or
> > flour? cornmeal?
> >
> > john
>
> I'd dip them in an egg wash (beaten egg and water or milk) and then roll them in seasoned flour.
> Cornmeal doesn't sound good (to me) for fried clams.
>
> Jill
>
>

Spiced cracker crumbs... :-d

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&include=0&userid=katra

il Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:17:39 -0500, "Bob (this one)" ha scritto:

>
> Rule for coating foods to be fried is: If it's wet, dry it; if it's dry, wet it.
>
> Clams are wet. Dredge them in seasoned flour, egg wash, crumbs or flour. All stages of coating
> should be seasoned lightly. Can't go wrong with Old Bay or similar.
>
> But you have to have the right sorts of clams. Big ones will be exceedingly tough. Tiny ones will
> be coated more heavily than you're likely to like.
>
> The procedure I use is to toss the clams in a bag with seasoned flour and drop the coated pieces
> into a large-hole sieve to get the excess flour off. Drop a few into seasoned egg wash and scoop
> up with a slotted spoon. Drop into final flour coat. Scoop up with hands, shake off excess flour
> and drop into hot oil (about 350F) for a short time, depending on size. No more than about 2
> minutes. Serve with lemon wedges and/or some sharp cocktail sauce or tartar sauce.
>
> Also good piled into a real-bread roll with shred lettuce and tartar sauce.
>
> Pastorio

What is the ratio of water to egg in an eggwash? I've never heard of it before. Is it suitable for
zucchini flowers? I'm looking for a light batter coating. One that doesn't pickup too much oil when
cooking. It'll have to be homemade batter, I'm unlikely to have US products down here.

--
Cheers, Loki [ Brevity is the soul of wit. W.Shakespeare ]

Loki wrote:

> il Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:17:39 -0500, "Bob (this one)" ha scritto:
>
>
>>Rule for coating foods to be fried is: If it's wet, dry it; if it's dry, wet it.
>>
>>Clams are wet. Dredge them in seasoned flour, egg wash, crumbs or flour. All stages of coating
>>should be seasoned lightly. Can't go wrong with Old Bay or similar.
>>
>>But you have to have the right sorts of clams. Big ones will be exceedingly tough. Tiny ones will
>>be coated more heavily than you're likely to like.
>>
>>The procedure I use is to toss the clams in a bag with seasoned flour and drop the coated pieces
>>into a large-hole sieve to get the excess flour off. Drop a few into seasoned egg wash and scoop
>>up with a slotted spoon. Drop into final flour coat. Scoop up with hands, shake off excess flour
>>and drop into hot oil (about 350F) for a short time, depending on size. No more than about 2
>>minutes. Serve with lemon wedges and/or some sharp cocktail sauce or tartar sauce.
>>
>>Also good piled into a real-bread roll with shred lettuce and tartar sauce.
>>
>>Pastorio
>
> What is the ratio of water to egg in an eggwash? I've never heard of it before.

An eggwash can be any of several different things starting with just whipped eggs. Beyond that, dry
seasonings and/or other liquids (water, milk, wine, cream, orange juice concentrate or whatever) can
be added. The purpose is to moisten the surface and add a bit of sticking power to it. Helps to hold
on the dry stuff. It's *not* a batter.

> Is it suitable for zucchini flowers? I'm looking for a light batter coating. One that doesn't
> pickup too much oil when cooking. It'll have to be homemade batter, I'm unlikely to have US
> products down here.

Here's an article I wrote a few years ago about just that.
<http://www.epicurus.com/features/members/food/rose.html>

Pastorio

il Mon, 16 Feb 2004 23:38:20 -0500, "Bob (this one)" ha scritto:

> Loki wrote:
>
> > il Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:17:39 -0500, "Bob (this one)" ha scritto:

> An eggwash can be any of several different things starting with just whipped eggs. Beyond that,
> dry seasonings and/or other liquids (water, milk, wine, cream, orange juice concentrate or
> whatever) can be added. The purpose is to moisten the surface and add a bit of sticking power to
> it. Helps to hold on the dry stuff. It's *not* a batter.

I kinda knew that ;-) It was just my mind leaping to a related topic...
>
> > Is it suitable for zucchini flowers? I'm looking for a
> > light batter coating. One that doesn't pickup too much oil when cooking. It'll have to be
> > homemade batter, I'm unlikely to have US products down here.
>
> Here's an article I wrote a few years ago about just that.
> <http://www.epicurus.com/features/members/food/rose.html>
>
> Pastorio

Hmmm, dunno about all that beer... Doesn't seem very italian to me. I had been meaning to use
tempura batter but have never got around to it. Deep fryiing always seems greasier when I do it,
rather than when I get to scoff someone else's efforts. :)

--
Cheers, Loki [ Brevity is the soul of wit. W.Shakespeare ]