Friels' zone 5a and LT

cshong88

Nov 6, 2005
Okay, so I tested myself on a 30 minute TT on a trainer and the last 20 minutes of my TT was 186 bpm...it seems a bit high for me, and actually, on most of my rides, I hit 183 and the intensity is already very high...getting to 186 from here is very slow for me. So could you guys first help me interpret these results:

first ten minutes: avg. 178 bpm, ended at 184 bpm
last 20 minutes: avg. 186 bpm, ended at 190 bpm

I had a caffienated GU gel about 15 minutes before starting TT, but I don't think it has veyr much caffeine.
I also did a hard TT effort the day before, but I was not that tired from it...felt fine the day of the Friel test (and if it did affect my HR, my HR would be lower, not higher, right?)

So, I'm thinking that zone 5a which Friel sets for me, 186-189 is way too high. It takes a lot of effort for me to reach 189, and sometimes I might not even reach it. Even getting to 183 is difficult for me sometimes.

I was under the impression that Zone 5a was still AEROBIC. Yet, Friel sets the bottom of 5a as your LT HR...wouldn't this mean that the rest of 5a is anaerobic? I definitely know that over 186 for me is anaerobic. So, I'm wondering if I should set 5a to 183-186 (that might even be a bit high for, I'll see...).

I'm 17 years old by the way, and it seems that my HR is always on the low side because I am tired...I try to get enough sleep but almost always during the week, I'm tired from HW and staying up...so my last question is:

The majority of my rides now are in Z2...my Z2 is around 152-163, but on many days, staying in 152-163 feels like it is too hard of an effort for a long aerobic ride...is there supposed to be a slight burning still when riding Z2? And is the breathing supposed to be at least noticeably labored? (although not fast, just louder...)

Thanks.

-Chris

cshong88 said:
Okay, so I tested myself on a 30 minute TT on a trainer and the last 20 minutes of my TT was 186 bpm...it seems a bit high for me, and actually, on most of my rides, I hit 183 and the intensity is already very high...getting to 186 from here is very slow for me. So could you guys first help me interpret these results:

I had a caffienated GU gel about 15 minutes before starting TT, but I don't think it has veyr much caffeine.
I also did a hard TT effort the day before, but I was not that tired from it...felt fine the day of the Friel test (and if it did affect my HR, my HR would be lower, not higher, right?)

So, I'm thinking that zone 5a which Friel sets for me, 186-189 is way too high. It takes a lot of effort for me to reach 189, and sometimes I might not even reach it. Even getting to 183 is difficult for me sometimes.

I was under the impression that Zone 5a was still AEROBIC. Yet, Friel sets the bottom of 5a as your LT HR...wouldn't this mean that the rest of 5a is anaerobic? I definitely know that over 186 for me is anaerobic. So, I'm wondering if I should set 5a to 183-186 (that might even be a bit high for, I'll see...).

I'm 17 years old by the way, and it seems that my HR is always on the low side because I am tired...I try to get enough sleep but almost always during the week, I'm tired from HW and staying up...so my last question is:

The majority of my rides now are in Z2...my Z2 is around 152-163, but on many days, staying in 152-163 feels like it is too hard of an effort for a long aerobic ride...is there supposed to be a slight burning still when riding Z2? And is the breathing supposed to be at least noticeably labored? (although not fast, just louder...)

Thanks.

-Chris
Lactate threshold is a concept that is nice and handy. But it is also one that is difficult to target precisely.

If I am not mistaken, Z5a (Friel) is what some call functional threshold zone. That would be lactate threshold as at 2 mmol/L. That corresponds to an intensity you could hold for twice the amount of time that you tried.

The 30min test, you probably did it at constant power. At first it felt easy. But the last 15 minutes, you got into the "hurt box". Your lactate level was probably higher than 2 mmol. Probably more in the neighborhood of 4 or 5 mmol, maybe more. But don't worry, that was still a valuable workout:)

Even if that effort is still considered to be aerobic, the truth is more that it is dominantely aerobic. Anaerobic metabolism is also pretty much involve.

Note that performing a nice 40 TT requires some practice. It's a pacing exercice. Make some of your threshold sets pacing exercises as well, and test it often.

For initial testing purposes, RPE (perceived exertion) and HR zones may be useful guides. That way, you don't have to guess what should be the power level chosen in advance for a 60 minute effort. The average power output readout, then become the starting point.

cshong88 said:

Thanks.

-Chris
Sounds like a classic example of the problems with using heart rate, which is why I don't. Your heart rate was probably elevated due to the tt the day before.

cshong88 said:
I also did a hard TT effort the day before, -Chris

If I remember correctly Friels says in his books that the test should be done at the end of the rest week. Doing a hard time trail the before a the test is not a good idea, or least not accordian to Friel.