Friendly Bike Shop in Parramatta?

stonely0

New Member
Aug 16, 2004
i'm from Singapore and will be in Paramatta on the 28 Dec 2004 till June 2005. I'm an amaeture road bike cyclist in Singapore and participate in informal group rides weekly with at least 80km (distance) per ride session. Since i'll be putting up in Paramatta for 6 months i'll be bringing my bike with me. I have a few question below and hope that you can help me out...

1) Is there an active cycling club in Parramatta? Any entries requirement?

2) Does cyclist in Parramatta organize formal/informal group rides (Peleton)

3) Can you kindly provide me with details on where and when it will be safe for me to cycle in Paramatta for my daily ride/trianing routine?

4) finally, can i know where in Paramatta will i be able to send my bike for service should i need to and also any place that sells decent spare parts for road bike?

Thanks for your time and help.

have a nice day.

Allan

Hi,if you are to stay in the Parramatta's main centre and being a serious cyclist,then you are in with best of luck, as it is one of the prime cycling capital city.As there are 3 main bike shops there all within the walking distance of each others.As to which is the best shop to go to,I would think it is really up to each own experience as they all seem to be real friendly.I have been to each of them,and hard to pick which is the best out of the lot as they all serve me real well.

This is the main cycling club for Parramatta, check out the training section which have all the infos about the training bunch schedule:
http://www.parramatta.cycling.org.au/

Also I found on Saturday Morning,there are few different bunch rides all leaving from one of these bike shops.

And there is the Parramatta park which has the best off road cycling track there with lot of cyclist training there.

This site has lots of info regards to Parramatta itself:
http://www.parracity.nsw.gov.au/neighbourhood/TAG.html

And this map show you where the Parramatta Park is,which is on the top left corner of the map:
http://www.ltl.com.au/Maps/webmaps/parramatta/m-parra1.htm

This is all I can find at the mo,hopefully others which put in more for you,hope it helps.

giantbike said:
As there are 3 main bike shops there all within the walking distance of each others.
Hi thanks for the quick reply. I need some solid information on the exact location of the 3 bike shops. I'll be putting up in an apartment further down Smith streets after the Parramatta River somewhere near the big Drive In Mac Donalds. Just 15min walks to Westfield and the Parramatta Train Station. Am i any way near the bike shops? May i know the exact location? Does the shop provide parts & services to both MTB and Road bike?

Also, I've got a road bike and a MTB, thinking of bringing my road bike, is the road biking community huge in Parramatta?

cheers

stonely0 said:
Hi thanks for the quick reply. I need some solid information on the exact location of the 3 bike shops. I'll be putting up in an apartment further down Smith streets after the Parramatta River somewhere near the big Drive In Mac Donalds. Just 15min walks to Westfield and the Parramatta Train Station. Am i any way near the bike shops? May i know the exact location? Does the shop provide parts & services to both MTB and Road bike?

Also, I've got a road bike and a MTB, thinking of bringing my road bike, is the road biking community huge in Parramatta?

cheers
There are two bike shops right across the road from the MaccaDs you are talking about. Corner of Church St and Victoria Road.
One is
http://www.thebikebarn.com.au/location.htm
and the other one (don't remember the name) is only 2 shops away.

"stonely0" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> giantbike Wrote:
> > As there are 3 main bike shops there all within the walking distance of
> > each others.

> Hi thanks for the quick reply. I need some solid information on the
> exact location of the 3 bike shops.I'll be putting up in an apartment
> further down Smith streets after the Parramatta River somewhere near
> the big Drive In Mac Donalds. Just 15min walks to Westfield and the
> Parramatta Train Station. Am i any way near the bike shops? May i know
> the exact location? Does the shop provide parts & services to both MTB
> and Road bike?

You'll be within walking distance to them
http://www.blackmanbicycles.com.au/
http://thebikebarn.com.au/
Universe Cycles

They all carry a range of Roda & Mtb bits

> Also, I've got a road bike and a MTB, thinking of bringing my road
> bike, is the road biking community huge in Parramatta?
>
> cheers
>

> --
> stonely0

Parbs

stonely0 said:
Hi thanks for the quick reply. I need some solid information on the exact location of the 3 bike shops. I'll be putting up in an apartment further down Smith streets after the Parramatta River somewhere near the big Drive In Mac Donalds. Just 15min walks to Westfield and the Parramatta Train Station. Am i any way near the bike shops? May i know the exact location? Does the shop provide parts & services to both MTB and Road bike?

Also, I've got a road bike and a MTB, thinking of bringing my road bike, is the road biking community huge in Parramatta?

cheers

Bike Shops in Parramatta

Blackman Bicycles 382 Church St
SE corner Church St & Victoria Rd (Diagonally Opposite Jaycar & Macas)

Bike Barn Parramatta Corner Sorrell St & Victoria Rd
http://thebikebarn.com.au/location.htm

Universe Cycles Corner Church Street & Fennell St

Mike

stonely0 said:
Hi thanks for the quick reply. I need some solid information on the exact location of the 3 bike shops. I'll be putting up in an apartment further down Smith streets after the Parramatta River somewhere near the big Drive In Mac Donalds. Just 15min walks to Westfield and the Parramatta Train Station. Am i any way near the bike shops? May i know the exact location? Does the shop provide parts & services to both MTB and Road bike?

Also, I've got a road bike and a MTB, thinking of bringing my road bike, is the road biking community huge in Parramatta?

cheers

I have attached the map of the locations for the bikeshops and the offroad track relates to where you are staying.By the sound of it,you should be within 5 mins walk from these shops and some 10 mins max to the bike track.An excellent location I believe you have here.The Macca that you refer to is on the opposite corner from the Blackman bike shop.Hope you get a clearer picture now.

parrinfo.jpg

giantbike said:
I have attached the map of the locations for the bikeshops and the offroad track relates to where you are staying.By the sound of it,you should be within 5 mins walk from these shops and some 10 mins max to the bike track.An excellent location I believe you have here.The Macca that you refer to is on the opposite corner from the Blackman bike shop.Hope you get a clearer picture now.
Thanks guys u bunch are a great help to me :) now i'm convince that there are really good bike support here in Parramatta... I think MTB is more suitable from the way i look at it. Are u guys all MTBer? How abt the Road bike scene in Parramatta? Where does the Roadie usually ride their steed?

"stonely0" wrote in message ...

> Thanks guys u bunch are a great help to me :) now i'm convince that
> there are really good bike support here in Parramatta... I think MTB is
> more suitable from the way i look at it. Are u guys all MTBer? How abt
> the Road bike scene in Parramatta? Where does the Roadie usually ride
> their steed?
>

> --
> stonely0

I'm a MTBer so I'm not much use on the parra road bike scene. As mentioned before, Parramatta park has a nice road loop, and you
wont be too far from Homebush which has some great roads and relatively free of traffic. I also see small groups heading on the M4
which strikes me as very boring.

Now if you bring your MTB...

Parbs

Probably too late for you but check out www.bikenorth.org.au for rides.
They cater for all types of riders and have rides all over Sydney incl Parramatta.