Friends And Hobbies

OGRICHBOI

Feb 16, 2015
How many of you guys on here are currently in highschool or college? I feel like a good number of users on here are a bit older, and some may have groups or clubs that they ride with. For anyone in highschool, do any of your school friends actively cycle with you? I remember in highschool I was known as the bike rider, which had both its ups and downs.

Any experiences riding with friends? Usually in the younger generations, cycling is not the most desired sport.

Reactions: Assesocovisse
I'm the person in my group of friends people roll their eyes at.

"Hey, let's go to this restaurant."
"Yea!"
"Yea!"
"That sounds awesome. How about we ride bikes there?"
"Boooooo!"

I guess people are just used to getting in a car & going. Any other effort seems pointless. I'm a different person.

I can feel your pain. I'm currently in college and if i mention cycling, suddenly i'll feel left out. But that doesn't stop me from cycling. Cycling became something I do alone just to relax myself and I don't share much about it.

I do believe that cycling is great. I am also in college and yes, I usually cycle alone. Most of my friends prefer their cars.

I do believe that cycling is great. I am also in college and yes, I usually cycle alone. Most of my friends prefer their cars.

Yea I'm still in high school. I totally know what you mean by "The biker dude". So many people are getting addicted to their cars and such that they forget to even go biking. Luckily for me, I'm addicted to biking rather than being addicted to my car.

I wish I was in college is been a long time since I've been able to enjoy myself to that degree. Lately I've been looking back on my college days and thinking to myself well maybe if I was able to ignite that flame again I would have the passion to ride which is something that I haven't had for quite some time.

College here. The majority of my friends have no problem laying (sitting on a good day) on the couch for a whoe weekend playing Call of Duty. I myself don't include my friends in cycling or my weight training as they probably wouldn't be into it and they'd just slow me down anyways.

I used to go out cycling with friends on weekends. It is usually fun. We use to chat on our way and that was encouraging. It is because you feel tired when cycling alone.

I had friends that would cycle with me in high school and college. But now that I have a family of my own, and they've gone their own way, we don't have much time for it together. I like to cycle with my family though when we get the chance.

The young ones I know are into playing video and or online games. They are less active and would rather stay home and play like there is no tomorrow. I was thinking of engaging them into some fun activities and make them be physically active and have a taste of what it is like playing outdoors.

Did not have a bike club at all but I have neighbors in the past who were my bike group. We rode through the suburbs and occasionally to the city when we had a lot of free time. They were my friends and we usually bike in the afternoon after school and sometimes have races. Nowadays, we meet up and still bike around but it is more of a hang out thing and we talk about life and serious stuff. There is still the occasional goofing around, and I really missed it. Some are not able to make it to the meet ups anymore because of busy schedules, but if ever any of us are free, we always make it to a point to be able to meet up.

I'm 38 years old and have been cycling for a long time, but the OP is right, the younger generation aren't interested anymore and while cycling will never die as such, I think as a hobby or a pastime it will, and it will be solely seen as a cheap means of transportation and that's a shame in my opinion.

Well I don't keep much friends and the few I have aren't really outdoor people so we haven't been on any adventures like that.

I like to cycle alone most of the time although I have a group of friends who are all very active (although mostly not cyclists) and we organize a trip to a nearby mountain where there is a camping area at the top and we have a nice bbq there. It's hard riding up, but really fun going down. If you have good brakes, that is.

I only started to ride my bike in my old town, because two of my best friend did and i didn't wanted to be left out. Best decision ever.

I can see nowadays that not many youngsters are interested in any sports, let alone cycling. :unsure: Kids nowadays are more into blogging, facebooking, instagraming, gaming, and to put it plainly sitting on their ass.
I am not in high school for a long time now, but I do remember, we used to have some groups of kids who would meet on a regular bases and just go for a ride. We would gather in the school yard with our bikes, and cycle either around the city or do some hill/mountain cycling. We would cycle to the hill, and make some picnic there, and cycle back home. It was a very nice way to just connect social life, some fitness, the love for nature, and getting some fresh air riding your bike, in one place. ^_^
We even had something similar while I was at the Uni. Those were fun fun times. :)

You are right that younger people are not so eager to ride a bike but nowadays I am in college and there is a bunch of cycling enthusiasts in my class. We have even planned a road trip in the near future.

I just recently graduated from college and I was actually part of a cycling club in my university and me and my friends would usually bike around the campus every day.