Fritlach (Ashkenazic Sweet Fritters)

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Old Magic1, Feb 21, 2005.

  1. Old Magic1

    Old Magic1 Guest

    > From: "LARRY GOLTZ" <[email protected]>
    > My mother in used to make a flat fried...very thin, very crispy flat
    > bread...fried with cinnamon and sugar on top....in a fry pan called
    > "Fritlach". Have been trying to fid the recipe for years. if anyone has

    an

    From: "Sephardic Favors: Jewish Cooking of the Mediterranean,"
    by Joyce Goldstein/Chronicle Books

    2 cups all-purpose flour
    4 tsp double-acting baking powder
    3/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
    1/2 tsp grated nutmeg (optional)
    2 large eggs
    2/3 cup milk, water, flat beer or 1/3 cup milk and 1/3 cup beer
    1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar
    2 Tbsp vegetable oil or melted butter, margarine or vegetable shortening
    1 tsp vanilla extract, or 2 Tbsp brandy
    Vegetable, sunflower or peanut oil for deep-frying
    Confectioners' sugar for dusting

    Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and spices, if using.
    Combine the eggs, milk, sugar, oil, and vanilla.
    Stir into the flour mixture to make a loose batter.
    Cover and let stand for about 1 hour.
    Heat at least 1 inch of oil over medium heat to 375° F.
    Drop the batter by teaspoonfuls or tablespoonfuls into the oil and fry,
    turning once, until puffed and golden brown on all sides, about 1 1/2
    minutes per side.
    Remove with a wire mesh skimmer or tongs and drain on a wire rack.
    You can keep the fritlach warm in a 250-degree oven while preparing the
    fremaining fritters.
    Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.

    Variation:

    Omit the baking powder. Increase the eggs to 4. Separate the eggs and
    combine the yolks with the milk, sugar, oil, and vanilla. Beat the egg
    whites until stiff but not dry and fold into the batter. Makes: about 30
    small or 24 medium fritters

    --
    Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia D. Hill at [email protected].
    Archives: http://www.cdkitchen.com/rfr/ http://recipes.alastra.com/