Frogmore Stew

Jmcquown

Guest
With spring coming (hopefully soon) my thoughts turn to things like this dish.

Frogmore Stew

In a large pot, boil 1 pound link pork sausage (if you can get Frogmore sausage, go for it!), 3 lbs.
new potatoes covered with water and beer. Add 1 large chopped onion and bell pepper, 3 chopped ribs
of celery, 2 Tbs. Old Bay or similar seasoning, salt & pepper. Boil for 10 minutes. Add 6 fresh blue
crabs, 6 ears corn on the cob cut into pieces and boil 10 minutes. Add 3 lbs. fresh shrimp, unpeeled
but deveined. Boil for 3 minutes. Remove the pot from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Drain. Serve
this up with a bucket in the middle of the table for tossing in the crab/shrimp shells and corn
cobs. This makes a great picnic sort of dish. Serve with additional seafood seasoning and Tabasco
sauce on the side. Don't forget the beer and the checked oilskin tablecloth!

Jill

>Frogmore Stew
>
>In a large pot, boil 1 pound link pork sausage (if you can get Frogmore sausage, go for it!), 3
>lbs. new potatoes covered with water and beer. Add 1 large chopped onion and bell pepper, 3 chopped
>ribs of celery, 2 Tbs. Old Bay or similar seasoning, salt & pepper. Boil for 10 minutes. Add 6
>fresh blue crabs, 6 ears corn on the cob cut into pieces and boil 10 minutes. Add 3 lbs. fresh
>shrimp, unpeeled but deveined. Boil for 3 minutes. Remove the pot from heat and let stand 5
>minutes. Drain. Serve this up with a bucket in the middle of the table for tossing in the
>crab/shrimp shells and corn cobs. This makes a great picnic sort of dish. Serve with additional
>seafood seasoning and Tabasco sauce on the side. Don't forget the beer and the checked oilskin
>tablecloth!

Jill, what is Frogmore Sausage and where do you get it ? Is it a regional sausage ??

Thanks, Rosie

"jmcquown" wrote ...
> With spring coming (hopefully soon) my thoughts turn to things like
this
> dish.
>
> Frogmore Stew

Ah, yes. The Steamer. Best ever

RMiller wrote:
>> Frogmore Stew
>>
>> In a large pot, boil 1 pound link pork sausage (if you can get Frogmore sausage, go for it!), 3
>> lbs. new potatoes covered with water and beer. Add 1 large chopped onion and bell pepper, 3
>> chopped ribs of celery, 2 Tbs. Old Bay or similar seasoning, salt & pepper. Boil for 10 minutes.
>> Add 6 fresh blue crabs, 6 ears corn on the cob cut into pieces and boil 10 minutes. Add 3 lbs.
>> fresh shrimp, unpeeled but deveined. Boil for 3 minutes. Remove the pot from heat and let stand 5
>> minutes. Drain. Serve this up with a bucket in the middle of the table for tossing in the
>> crab/shrimp shells and corn cobs. This makes a great picnic sort of dish. Serve with additional
>> seafood seasoning and Tabasco sauce on the side. Don't forget the beer and the checked oilskin
>> tablecloth!
>

> Jill, what is Frogmore Sausage and where do you get it ? Is it a regional sausage ??
>
> Thanks, Rosie

Yes, it's made regionally. Where my parents live, used to be called 'Frogmore'. Then the hoity-toity
folks decided that didn't sound so good so they renamed it after the original Spanish name, St.
Helena. Use a Cajun sausage like Andouille or Charice instead. If all else fails, use Kielbasa or
some other Polish sausage.

Jill

CaptCook wrote:
> "jmcquown" wrote ...
>> With spring coming (hopefully soon) my thoughts turn to things like this dish.
>>
>> Frogmore Stew
>
> Ah, yes. The Steamer. Best ever

Ever been to Steamy's? on Ladies Island.

"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in news:AYMXb.1$fE4.0
@bignews5.bellsouth.net:

> CaptCook wrote:
>> "jmcquown" wrote ...
>>> With spring coming (hopefully soon) my thoughts turn to things like this dish.
>>>
>>> Frogmore Stew
>>
>> Ah, yes. The Steamer. Best ever
>
> Ever been to Steamy's? on Ladies Island.

Many times! Had a place on Fripp Island. Frogmore stew is the best. Ever been to Johnsons Creek?

--
StocksRus®

StocksRus® wrote:
> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in news:AYMXb.1$fE4.0 @bignews5.bellsouth.net:
>
>> CaptCook wrote:
>>> "jmcquown" wrote ...

>>> Ah, yes. The Steamer. Best ever
>>
>> Ever been to Steamy's? on Ladies Island.
>
> Many times! Had a place on Fripp Island. Frogmore stew is the best. Ever been to Johnsons Creek?

Nope, can't say I've heard of it.

[email protected] (PENMART01) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> [...]
> link sausage used in Frogmore Stew came to this area no earlier than the 1940s as a result of
> immigration (before then Beaufortonians used only patty-type sausage). Mr. Spieler believes that
> the recipe was the invention of local shrimpers who used whatever food items they had on hand to
> make a stew.
>
> Sarah Rutledge's 1847 Charleston cookbook, The Carolina Housewife, had no recipes like the present-
> day mix of shrimp, corn and sausage. In a 1991 telephone interview, Emory Campbell, executive
> director of Penn Center on St. Helena Island, does not remember anything like the present-day
> Frogmore Stew when he was growing up – although boiled shrimp has always been a part of Sea
> Island daily life. Another St. Helena Island native, Agnes Sherman, could not recall any
> traditional recipe similar to what she preferred to call "Lowcountry Stew" (because Frogmore is
> only one of several St. Helena Island communities).
>

> The Steamer Restaurant Photograph by Dennis Adams (August 13, 2002) Richard Gay of Gay Seafood
> Company claimed to have invented Frogmore Stew. On National Guard duty in Beaufort about 40 years
> ago, he was preparing a cookout of leftovers for his fellow guardsmen. He brought the recipe home
> with him, and it soon became popular in this area. According to Gay, the Steamer Restaurant on
> Lady's Island was the first establishment to offer Frogmore Stew commercially, almost 20 years
> ago. Gay campaigned to have Frogmore Stew declared the official seafood dish of South Carolina,
> but the recipe remains an "unofficial" delight.
>
> (Above information based on 1991 telephone interviews with persons named and on The Carolina
> Housewife by Sarah Rutlege)
>
> Frogmore Stew Recipe:
>
> Here is a Frogmore Stew recipe, based on the South Carolina Wildlife Cookbook version, which
> serves 30 people.
>
> INGREDIENTS:
>
> 10 pounds smoked beef sausage in long links 2 dozen ears shucked, cleaned corn
> 1/2 bushel crabs 15 pounds shrimp, headed 2 small boxes of seafood seasoning (which brand is best
> has been a matter of friendly controversy)
>
> INSTRUCTIONS: Use a big, 20-gallon pot filled to about half full with water. The best thing is to
> clean the crabs before you put them in the pot. You can use the whole crab, too, but it takes up
> more room in the pot and is messier to eat. Cut sausages in one-inch sections. Bring water to a
> boil put sausage and seasoning bags in water and let boil for about 10 minutes or so. Put the corn
> in and bring back to a boil. Then put the crabs in and bring back to a boil. Finally, add the
> shrimp, and when the water comes back to a boil, pour off water. Serves 30 people.
> ---
>
> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon
> ```````````` "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

I used to go to Gay's every afternoon to get the days catch. What a place. Had a shitty "Shrimp
Shack" across the street.Crab musta been a seasonal thing cause I don't remember any crab in
Frogmore stew. Steamers, and the marina on Fripp would put a bucket in the middle of the table for
the scaps of the stew. Man, 40 beers and some Frogmore stew brings back fond memories.

--
StocksRus®

PENMART01 wrote:
>> "jmcquown" wrote:
> http://www.co.beaufort.sc.us/bftlib/frogmore.htm
>
> Frogmore Stew (also known as "Lowcountry Stew" and "Beaufort Boil")
>
> In a 1991 telephone interview, Emory Campbell, executive director of Penn Center on St. Helena
> Island, does not remember anything like the present-day Frogmore Stew when he was growing up

Funny... the Penn Center has been there longer than Mr. Campbell, and is in fact a museum devoted to
the presense of the west indies black slave poplulation. It is also one of the oldest black school
houses in the United States. Ask Mr. Campbell if he understands "gullah".

> The Steamer Restaurant Photograph by Dennis Adams (August 13, 2002) Richard Gay of Gay Seafood
> Company claimed to have invented Frogmore Stew. On National Guard duty in Beaufort about 40 years
> ago, he was preparing a cookout of leftovers for his fellow guardsmen. He brought the recipe home
> with him

Brought it home with him from *where*? Yeah, he got it from the native islanders.

Jill