Frogs- Stainless or Chromoly?

res09c5t

Guest
Hi,
I've got a set of Frogs I'm selling and am trying to tell if they are
stainless or chromoly. They "look" stainless but have strong magnetic
attraction and I didn't think stainless had the magnetic attraction. Am I
right about the magnet and are they chromoly?

Also, how long has Speedplay made the Frogs in chromoly? I didn't know they
even did till recently- seems like the only place I could find them online
was in England and then I saw a pair in our LBS. It's probably just
something I missed.

Thanks!
Lyle

res09c5t wrote:
> Hi,
> I've got a set of Frogs I'm selling and am trying to tell if they are
> stainless or chromoly. They "look" stainless but have strong magnetic
> attraction and I didn't think stainless had the magnetic attraction. Am I
> right about the magnet and are they chromoly?
>
> Also, how long has Speedplay made the Frogs in chromoly? I didn't know they
> even did till recently- seems like the only place I could find them online
> was in England and then I saw a pair in our LBS. It's probably just
> something I missed.
>
> Thanks!
> Lyle

Chrom moly spindle is black, stainless is silver-

Thanks. That is way easier than what I was trying to do.

res09c5t wrote:
> Hi,
> I've got a set of Frogs I'm selling and am trying to tell if they are
> stainless or chromoly. They "look" stainless but have strong magnetic
> attraction and I didn't think stainless had the magnetic attraction. Am I
> right about the magnet and are they chromoly?...

Some stainless steels may become magnetic with cold-working.

--
Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
> res09c5t wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I've got a set of Frogs I'm selling and am trying to tell if they are
>> stainless or chromoly. They "look" stainless but have strong magnetic
>> attraction and I didn't think stainless had the magnetic attraction. Am I
>> right about the magnet and are they chromoly?...

> Some stainless steels may become magnetic with cold-working.

ferritics are magnetic - it's the austenitics that are not.