From 0 to around the bay

tortoise

Aug 2, 2004
Hi
I'm a runner who recently bought a bike for a bit of cross training, and am now keen to do the round the bay in a day in October. I was wondering if in people's opinions 2.5 months is long enough training to go from no cycling to 200km+ in a day??
My fitnesss is pretty good (I run about 30kms a week at the moment) and I will be continuing to run and will be doing the Melbourne half marathon the weekend before the round the bay

Am I being realistic in my ambitions??

I think you would be OK to do it physically.
You might get saddle sore though.
If you have time, get up early one Sat or Sun morning & ride from St Kilda to Frankston to gauge yourself. Allow 4hrs.

tortoise said:
Hi
I'm a runner who recently bought a bike for a bit of cross training, and am now keen to do the round the bay in a day in October. I was wondering if in people's opinions 2.5 months is long enough training to go from no cycling to 200km+ in a day??
My fitnesss is pretty good (I run about 30kms a week at the moment) and I will be continuing to run and will be doing the Melbourne half marathon the weekend before the round the bay

Am I being realistic in my ambitions??

start riding now (2/3 times per week) and you should be fine

The general rule of thumb is: if you can do 3/4 the distance, you should manage the full event no probs. The event is 210km and St Kilda to Frankston return is about 85km, not even half. I would aim to get from St Kilda to Safety Beach return (about 130km) at least once, say two weeks before RTB.

Three other suggestions:
#1 - PLAN, PLAN, PLAN your training. You've got plenty of time to prepare - if you use it wisely.
#2 - Work out what your food/hydration requirements should be. You don't need a 2 litre Cambelbak and a dozen museli bars, but don't set sail with a lone water bottle either!
#3 - Take at least 2 spare tubes, there were plenty of punctures last year...

I'd say 'Good luck' but 'success is a matter of choice, not chance.'

Stanners