From 1950's Raleigh to...?

Hagalaz

Aug 18, 2009
So, I commute about 5 miles to work and 5 miles back every day. I'm riding an ancient bike I pulled out of a dumpster; a 1950's Raleigh ladies Robinhood. Recently, the seat has broken, and the rear tire has spouted a HUGE leak. Now, while I realize both of these problems are completely fixable...I'm really really really looking forward to getting a bike with more than just 3 speeds, some form of shocks, with a lighter frame, and pedals that don't leave dents and bruises on my beautiful legs. Something that doesn't wake up the whole neighborhood when I come pedaling home at 12:30am wouldn't be all that horrid either.

The bike that I am considering is the ladies Specialized Globe Vienna. I'm not sure which rendition it is, as I've discovered online that there are several. It is priced at $399.99 at a local family run bike shop (Wheel Away Cycle Center) and I felt that the sales man who showed it to me really had my best interests in mind, and not a pricey bike sale. At my age, $400 is a lot of money. The thing rode like I was on air, and the maneuverability rocked my socks. However, I was searching online for reviews, and it sounds like some of the common complaints with the Globe Vienna series are clunky gears and uncomfortable seats. The seat problem seems easy enough to remedy, and as my commute just involves dodging crazy drivers on the street, in the bike-lane, and on the sidewalk (Yes, dodging crazy drivers ON THE SIDEWALK. I swear they all want to kill me.) it seems gears shouldn't be too much of a bother untill I start taking it on trails, if I ever get the time.

I'm wondering if anyone has any good input on the Specialized Globe Vienna, and if anyone has a good recommendation for me.

What I'm Looking For

-Price range; free-$400
-More than 3 speeds
-Quiet
-Commuters bike (lightweight/moderately fast)
-Comfortable (Not like one of those retarded looking posture bikes, just not like a racing bike either. More like right in between.)
-Shocks
-Reliable and long-lived (Something thats gonna last me for years)
-Capable of getting me from point A to point B

P.S. I'm 5'8" and 200lbs, if that affects anything as far as certain recommendations.

The Specialized Globe Vienna appears to be a Hybrid which does not have an unnecessary front suspension fork -- I love Hybrid frames/bikes ...

$400 is a good price, particularly, if it is one that comes with fenders, etc. ... I presume it is such a good price because it is an end-of-the-year clearance ... you should take advantage of the pricing.

You do NOT want a suspension front fork ... the larger tire size should provide enough cushioning for most road conditions. If not, then you need to learn how to ride with a little more skill OR get slightly larger 700x42 tires (which will probably fit, but may not).

The frame will last unless you crash the bike OR it gets run over by a car OR some other catastrophe ...

If parts need to be replaced in the course of time, equivalent parts will be readily available.

Your alternative is to spend $100-to-$200 having the Raleigh frame updated -- a square taper BB spindle & a "new" crank with a larger chainring will allow you go to faster (San Jose is mostly flat, isn't it?) ... plus, make the necessary SMALL repairs/replacements that you have cited ...

What kind of "trails" do you think you want to ride on?

You would just need to take the fenders off & put larger tires & tubes on the wheels that will fit to ride on most fire trails ... e.g., the SMALLEST 29er tires (29x1.9 --> 700x48) should fit in the frame without any problems AFTER you take the fenders off ...

WHO KNOWS? Without the fenders you may be able to fit an even FATTER/larger tire!?!

I was really thinking about just selling my old bike off after getting the new one. San Jose is full of trendy little teeny-boppers who would pay way more than the bike is worth just to have bragging rights for having an 'authentic cruiser'. I think if I post on CL I'll find some eager buyers; it's got all the original decals and a license dating back to 1959, and even the little plastic bubble holder for the tire pump. I don't really wanna rip it apart. I did just have to send it in to get the back tire replaced. I tried patching the tube last night, and failed as two of the larger punctures and rips were around the nozzle. I just didn't have the time or patience to fix it this morning before work.

I did try another bike today while I was at the bike shop (Hyland Family Bikes, this time). It was the Raleigh Venture, and the Venture 3.0. I did find some reviews online comparing it to the Trek 3900. I loved the ride on both the regular, and the 3.0, but I think I preferred the 3.0, as it offers shocks and less of a retarded feeling posture. I really don't like the upright posture bikes. It makes me feel like Mary Poppins, and the last thing I wanna feel like when I'm trying to keep up with traffic, sweating like a pig, is a waifish British nanny. The mens frame was more comofrtable for me. I suppose I'm rather broad fora woman, and my torso is rather long, because the womens frame also made me feel pretty cramped. This offers another dillemma for me, as I prefer womens frames because when I reach a light, I usually just hop off carelessly. I don't know how you fellas do it, but an aluminum pole to the coochie is just not my idea of a fun time. Overall, though, the Venture and the Venture 3.0 felt pretty nice to me, and at $299.99 for the Venture, and $369.99 for the 3.0, I'm tempted to go with them. I think I might have to pay a visit to the first bike store I went to again, before I make my mind up.

Has anyone got any imput on the Venture/3.0 or the Trek 3900 it was compared to?

The Globe did not come with fenders, but I'm under the impression it wouldn't be too pricey to set that up.

I hear you on the shocks/suspension, and I've managed to survive so far without them. I suppose my reasoning for wanting them was simply because I'm so sick of my bike rattling like a can full of rusty nails when I come off or take a curb (I try to avoid them for the most part, but when you're getting run off the road, it's tricky business) San Jose has a few gradual slopes to it's roadways, but it's nothing like San Francisco.

The trails I would like to take my bike on sometime are mostly paved with a lot of steep uphills and downhills and are shared with pedestrians. No vehicles to worry about, though.