From $24.95 to $1.00

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by roadhouse, Jul 24, 2010.

1. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

Positively False at the 99 cents store, by Floyd Landis. I just picked it up and the although i know it's a complete lie in the end, the first chapter with all the insight as to conversations between himself and Zabriskie and Hincapie, Hincapie begging him to not fly off the front, on stage 17 of the '06 tour and his dropping the entire peleton from start to finish was good. He's actually a good author in other words.

Anyone else read it? Thoughts?

Tags:

2. genedan

genedan New Member

Keep in mind that Loren Mooney is the ghostwriter and wrote the book. Floyd just told Mooney what to write.

How long has the internet been around? A few decades or so? We can upload/download entire books in fractions of a second and the publishing industry still insists on printing masses of these archaic tomes?

3. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

folks, i present to you the ps2 generation..

i know Floyd mouthed the words off to Mooney, it practically states that on the cover and contents and everywhere else but have you read it? internet or not? insight?

4. Ted B

Ted B New Member

Perhaps you should consider making a donation to the "Floyd Fairness Fund", which was organized by Floyd to aid cyclists like himself, who have been unfairly accused of doping. ;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRIbmhqSiME]YouTube - Floyd Fairness Fund[/ame]

But seriously, at $0.99 per copy, it's worth a look.

5. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

i can't seem to put the book down now but he's contradicted himself and his parents/family so, so many times whom he adores already what with his parents being Mennonites and all, caring and truthful people and all that and i'm starting to feel sorry for the guy...but apart from that the insight into his first days of racing are good and might i add what a bad ass! (before all of this Postal nightmare stuff)

and for those contradicting or making fun of his wearing a t-shirt in that race he did a few days ago i'll let you in that he used to race in sweat pants as a teen (very poor kid/family) and in near freezing temperatures and the likes so for him to get out and race was the biggest thing for him, not this looks, and, well, you'll have to read the book but being timed by his first coach up some elevation he unofficially beat a pro by some minutes the first time up after riding all day and then by some many more minutes the next time, again timed by his coach but this time he was rested. and he won , starting minutes behind the experienced group but passing them all, his first race ever and then some. The guy truly is a powerhouse of absurd proportions.

i guess i just like reading about pros and riding, get's me all wanting to ride across the world.

6. Ted B

Ted B New Member

Despite all his recent confessions (true or false), Floyd continues to deny the 2006 test results, which apparently seem to come from one test and not the others. We've seen and heard so many contradictions at this point that it's fatiguing.

If I'd read anything on Floyd, I'd like to see an objective account of the 2006 testing procedure, timeline, and results. I'm finding it difficult to make sense out why he'd confess to some things and not others.

Anyway, carry on ...

7. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

Aye aye, skipper.

his first year with a coach, the same Arnie guy who timed him up the mountain and who introduced him to road racing tactics, drew up a practice training chart for Floyd, wanting him to ride 25,000 miles in one year, many more thousands of miles than pro peleton riders train, Floyd not having a clue at the time that that amount was off the beaten path even for world class pro's, of which he made 24,000 of those 25,000 miles.

say what? :eek:

8. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

some fun facts since we have the time what with the tour just rolling. when Floyd's first pro team, a fully registered with the UCI team named Mercury was out of money and closing shop, Floyd officially asked the UCI for money from its bank guarantee fund, a bank account set up to pay riders in the event their own team can not, for exactly this occasion to which the UCI stalled and stalled and when Floyd finally had his lawyer send them a letter after many many months of non payment, the UCI took it as a threat stating, "Such an aggressive approach might perhaps work in the U.S.A. but it does not in Europe and definitely not with me ( Hein Verbruggen, president, UCI)...I have given order to our legal department to take the tone of your approach into account when it comes to following up on your request."

Some years later and with Postal, in the middle of his first Tour Floyd was asked on camera about the Team Mercury and riders being paid to which he told the truth ( whatever that means, i guess), that he had tried to follow the UCI's rules concerning the bank guarantee but he never got paid.

Within hours Lance and Johan were on his case saying that he must retract that statement to which he didn't want to and refused to..at first. A Postal management personel found a rule stating that riders are not supposed to comment on actions by the UCI and so he did retract that statement.

Three years later he was finally paid.

9. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

Landis first turned down a team invitation to ride with Lance through Tailwind Sports to remain with Mercury but after the following year, when it was clear Mercury had dried up, went to Team Postal.

After a few years with Postal, Landis learned that some other riders were making up to double what he was ( he was in the $250,000 a year range) and yet the Johan would not give a TT bike to train on even though Lance had a private jet, Johan saying that Hincapie took eigth in a TT without a private training TT bike to which Landis replied, "Eigth is not good enough for me." He never received a bike to take home.

I guess we know what kind of bikes they were selling.

Phonak offered Landis $450,000 for a two year deal where Postal made an offer for a three year deal for much less than that which the offer was made only after everyone else had already signed back on. He refused to ride with team Postal again even after being asked what he wanted to stay, I'm guessing as in salary, saying, "I just don't want to ride for your team any longer.", signed with Phonak whom an insider from that team tipped off Lance that Landis was talking to team owner about signing on before Postal made him his offer to resign with them to which Lance told Landis to not talk to them any longer which he obliged that wish for a little while but eventually left, instantly had a TT bike shipped to his home from Phonak (BMC) and ended up beating Lance badly in the Tour of Georgia.

fun.

10. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

Lance, after learning that Landis was talking to Phonak, had made it seem to Rhis, Phonak team owner, as if Landis had resigned with Postal so the offer was almost never made. Had it not been for Rhis texting Landis and telling him congratulations on his re-signing with Postal, Landis might have not ever have found that out and might not have signed the Phonak deal, of which those numbers were verbally agreed upon some weeks before, and might not have ridden professionally again much sooner than latter.

11. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

And what's wrong with printed books?

12. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

he had a lot of people working on his case, from the lead man at the UCLA lab to which the UCI and WADA usually go to FIRST before going public with high profile cases such as Landis' to make certain that they are on a solid ground which they did not do in Landis' case, that lead scientist quitting UCLA specifically to fight for Floyd and finding out instantly that the results were bogus on many levels. I doubt many of those facts , nor the facts that are printed on the net, those of which were from WADA and the tests (results) which Paul, the scientist from UCLA now on Floyd's side , called the WIKI DEFENSE..
    The Wiki Defense : Columbia Journalism Review..
    were all lies. too many people and too many noted innaccuracies by USADA, WADA and UCI and too much corruption all around.
    no doubt Floyd doped with Lance but that is the case in question, to bring down the UCI and WADA, you have to bring down Lance Armstrong who is not his real target, i don't believe it to be, and I can side with Floyd 's argument that if Lance can dope and win seven times then why can't he get away with it just once? that's the thing, The Fairness Fund was there to fight the UCI and Floyd went to seemingly great lenghts to do so, going straight to the US Congress who funds via taxpayers money 60% of WADA, the governing body of UCI, and who had no idea that the way the system was set up was so unjust for the athlete. Once you are determined guilty, that's it, no if and or butts about it and lights out, goodbye and that is what Lance doesn't want to happen. How could he? if all of the tests results are questionable as Landis was trying and is trying to prove that that is the case with himself ( btw, he did not have a high testosterone count, he had a very low epitestosterone count, making his T/E ration 11 to 1 and seem high, his scientist found added substances that were not on protocol for testing and pages of other mistakes as well) , then he could easily be brought down and that is what Landis is doing.

Again, I don't believe that Lance is Floyd's main target, but he has to go through him to make the system right. All of you who say that the system needs cleaning but are saying that Lance has nothing to do with it, think again.

13. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

Landis posted all of the results on the net, his defense team hoping that people would come forward and offer assistance to which four (4) NASA scientists came forward, all also siting many mistakes with the results and offering assistance to which the UCI, acting i thier high and mighty way, only wanting to win and disregarded requests for more info from inside their own lab.

Btw, the UCI let go two other people, one pro cyclist and one other athlete, back into their respective fields without suspension who were fighting the UCI on their own personal positive test results, and this is heresay, because all their money and efforts were spent on fighting Floyd.

French Lab, American rider, go figure. had the exact same samples been tested outside of France through WADA, same protocol and procedures, Landis would have been found innocent in both Switzerland and here in the USA...at least according to his book.

FUN!!