From a guy for the gals...

I've been on clipless since Look got their pedal out to the masses -- 18 years ago. I fall a lot less since leaving cages behind because of the instantaneous release.

I wonder if the question as to why is more easily solved by who got the person into riding in the first place. My riding friends who got into biking on their own rode with cages far longer than those who started riding with friends who already used clipless. Also, if you're on a budget and just getting into serious biking, the cost of the pedal and shoe can be really significant -- and many newbies just don't understand the advantages of the system.

that is the most stupidest exuse i've ever heard to do a survey...Someone doesn't need a lady partner just to ride with. OMG get a life boys..just ride on your own and who cares about who is using clipless pedals or not? aye yae yae....:mad:

cyclistfreak89 said:
that is the most stupidest exuse i've ever heard to do a survey...Someone doesn't need a lady partner just to ride with. OMG get a life boys..just ride on your own and who cares about who is using clipless pedals or not? aye yae yae....:mad:
Actually I have noted the same thing those guys did.
Im 21 and I used to be big on big flats. That changed when I got a set of clips and about that time I had a missed bunny hop on my bf's bike gash my shin about 3 inches. I find more security in having the platform clips like the 545s or the like.
On the positive... the scar makes for some tomboy points:rolleyes:

this is pretty interesting; definitely not something I'd ever given some thought to. I bought my bike last june and felt like a COMPLETE DORK riding with the stock clip pedals until I had the money to buy both the clipless pedals and shoes. (i'm a poor college student) I never thought twice about it... I also never really thought twice about there being so many more men then women cycling. In my area, Rochester, NY, I'd estimate that it's about 3 men for every woman, but I started out with my friend Beth and I usually ride with her and other riders that she knows so I haven't had the "being surrounded by men" situation come up yet. (can't wait! ;) )

i use clipless pedals, and after a slightly embaressing moment at a set of traffic lights where i tried to stop and unclip without success! :eek: i love them, more girls should use them... i think that maybe we girls get a little scared of the whole falling off and looking stupid to start off with.. to be honest once you have fallen off once it doesnt really matter cos it makes cycling so much more effective. there are loads of girls who ride in London with clipless pedals so come to old blighty and take a look!
C :)

TheDL said:
Ok...call this quirky, odd, dumb, whatever but my friend and I (guys) have a question for the gals out there...mainly the 20-somethings because that's how old we are. My buddy's single and he's gotten in to cycling recently and his tastes are little 'eccentric' at times, but he's posed this criterion. He want's to meet a girl who cycles and uses clipless pedals. He's 23 yrs old.

Ok, so we were at the Portland Bridge Pedal today (~17,000) cyclists turn out for the event so we thought'd we'd do some casual surveying. We did not see ANY females in our age group using clipless pedals! So we're wondering, what gives? It seemed plenty of women 35 yrs and up were using clipless?

Could ya'll fill us in :confused:

Thanks!

I am not sure about the rest of the ladies on this forum, but I believe that there is a shoe for every occasion (cycling NOT excluded). I am 23 and have had clipless since beginning to ride. I would not wear heels out hiking, neither hiking boots out dancing, nor cycling shoes to go running. You need a pair for each occasion. If anything, this should be the PERFECT excuse to drop a few $$$`s on a new pair of shoes WITHOUT the significant other giving a hassle.

Example discussion:
Me `I am going to buy $200 shoes for cycling`
SO `OH MY GOD, WE CAN EAT FOR A WEEK ON THAT!`
Me `Yes, but dont you want a killer bod lying next to you at night?`
SO `okay, what color are you getting?`

Case closed.
It would be very much the same if they were Monolos and a mini skirt...Very much different if they were yet another pair of birkenstocks.

e
:D

ejglows said:
I am not sure about the rest of the ladies on this forum, but I believe that there is a shoe for every occasion (cycling NOT excluded). I am 23 and have had clipless since beginning to ride. I would not wear heels out hiking, neither hiking boots out dancing, nor cycling shoes to go running. You need a pair for each occasion. If anything, this should be the PERFECT excuse to drop a few $$$`s on a new pair of shoes WITHOUT the significant other giving a hassle.

Example discussion:
Me `I am going to buy $200 shoes for cycling`
SO `OH MY GOD, WE CAN EAT FOR A WEEK ON THAT!`
Me `Yes, but dont you want a killer bod lying next to you at night?`
SO `okay, what color are you getting?`

:D

Love it! :D

34, clipless for more than 10 years, can probably run a sub 12-second 100 metres in them to chase evil car door-opening freaks if I had to :).

I've got a 21-year-old friend who uses clipless; heck, she got ME to get a set of clipless pedals, but sorry guys, I won't let you near her. :p

I've been using clipless since I started riding. Well, almost since I started. When I first jumped back on a bike (at age 19 for transport - first time since childhood) I used flats and then toestraps for the 12km trip to uni. But it wasn't long before I 'graduated' to clipless at my dad's suggestion. Actually, he pretty much just changed the pedals over one day, and before I left he said, "oh, you'll need to wear these shoes today [handing me a set of old cycling shoes] 'cos I changed your pedals." But hey, I like learning from the deep end.

Having said that, I didn't have too much trouble learning to clip in and out which was good. I started out on Shimano SPDs (even on my road bike) because they were easier to start off with (you only really need to push down and they're in, and they're double sided) but now I use them just on my mountain bike and use Looks on my road and track bike. I'll most likely change to trad toe straps for track (what the sprinters use) where you have to stop and tighten your shoes before you start riding around and then stop again to undo before you get off.

All the girls I ride with (way off here in faraway Australia ;) ) use clipless for both road and mtb. So we are out there!

TheDL said:
Ok...call this quirky, odd, dumb, whatever but my friend and I (guys) have a question for the gals out there...mainly the 20-somethings because that's how old we are. My buddy's single and he's gotten in to cycling recently and his tastes are little 'eccentric' at times, but he's posed this criterion. He want's to meet a girl who cycles and uses clipless pedals. He's 23 yrs old.

Ok, so we were at the Portland Bridge Pedal today (~17,000) cyclists turn out for the event so we thought'd we'd do some casual surveying. We did not see ANY females in our age group using clipless pedals! So we're wondering, what gives? It seemed plenty of women 35 yrs and up were using clipless?

Could ya'll fill us in :confused:

Thanks!
Thats because us old bags are more seasoned and it doesn't take us as long to get hip to things. tee hee

Maybe people my age haven't seen the light yet eh? Being 20, I hardly see any women my age cycling at all...let alone using clipless pedals. I bike for my University. We have 28,000 students, and only 8 women on the cycling team. Only 2 of us are under 30.

I, however, use Speedplay Zeros. Love 'em.

Faferoni said:
Maybe people my age haven't seen the light yet eh? Being 20, I hardly see any women my age cycling at all...let alone using clipless pedals. I bike for my University. We have 28,000 students, and only 8 women on the cycling team. Only 2 of us are under 30.

I, however, use Speedplay Zeros. Love 'em.
Write an article for the school paper indicating all of the perks of cycling. I bet you'll have more cyclists on campus in no time!
I also have Speedplay Zeros, they're awesome!

I'm 29, i ride clipless, and without a male present (to the earlier comment). I don't do it for the performance but because on longer distance rides in other shoes my foot would move and cramp. I love my CP's and wouldn't ride without them. But Where are all the chicks, I ride and never see women and if i do they're with guys.

I hear ya. I love my SPD for everything mainly because I got a nasty gash from slipping off the flats(would have been 3 stitches if I did them). Not to mention its so much nicer to pull on the pedals for long hills.
Yeah there seems to be a shortage of unattached biker chicks. In my wed night trail group there are 2 chicks who are free but ironically they are same age(late 20s) and names. :confused:
There seems to be a generational gap of sorts, at least in my view, being 21.

jessmcph said:
I'm 29, i ride clipless, and without a male present (to the earlier comment). I don't do it for the performance but because on longer distance rides in other shoes my foot would move and cramp. I love my CP's and wouldn't ride without them. But Where are all the chicks, I ride and never see women and if i do they're with guys.
The "chicks" are in the hen house. The women are cycling and doing various other things. A word of caution, if you wish to meet any women cyclists try treating them with respect.

Since I got into riding, I've been using clipless pedals :) There's no other way! I'm 21, from Ontario Canada. I started off riding mountain bikes, clipped in. Then swapped over to road riding. I just need that power of being clipped in! That's quite a cute thread you have going there. I'm in a happy, committed relationship in that department but my input on the importance of clipless pedals is still important! He's a cyclist too, it's the way to go!

great thread here...
i'm 17, and i ride clipless.
not as many women get into cycling as a competive sport, nor at as young of an age, hence fewer number of girls riding clipless... but if you look you shall find. convience is a major factor. and the fear of injury, because, remember the first time you tried clipless pedals? and probably fell over?
thanks guys, this really gave me a good laugh.:D

Just bought my bike and had to take off the "cage" from the pedals as it just wasn't working for me (a lot of start/stop when riding around the city). Once I put a few miles on the bike and am sure i am coordinated enough,I am going to invest in clipless. BTW: hitting 30 in september (ouch!)