From Centreville to Fairfax, VA: Anyone know of a route?

StartTday

Jul 12, 2005
Does anyone know of a route or path that runs off of 29 (Lee Hwy) in VA from Centreville to Fairfax?

I just moved to Centreville and have never lived close enough to work that I can commute by bike. I'm looking forward to doing it but there seems to be no shoulder or anything on Lee Hwy.

There are a lot of connecting neighborhoods but some seem to be broken by other major highways.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks...

Hi --

I'm over in Fairfax and commute to DC. Looked on the Bike Map for the area and did not see any from Centreville to Fairfax. I go into Vienna and get on the W&OD but that doesn't help you. Below is a link with a lot of info about the area. Just move here myself back in July.

www.bikewashington.org/

Good Luck, John

I used to live on Fort Belvoir and rode everywhere out there, but unfortunately many roads are "you-take-your-life-into-your-own-hands" types of roads. heavy traffic, no shoulders.
but i did live to tell the tale, so there's that.

by the by, an afternoon commute on your bike is not complete without your 'walkman' on and tuned to 106.7.
okay, there's my shameless plug for the Don and Mike Show... :cool:
(shoot, for that matter the Junks will keep you entertained in the morning after Howard is gone right?)

(no need for anyone out there to lecture me on the perils of listening to radio or music on a bike...even with ear buds in, I have been riding so many years I can actually feel the cars behind me before I hear them. Besides, the ones to look out for are the blithering idiots in their minivans who don't actually scan for all the traffic before they pull out RIGHT in front of you, because they will never see a cyclist until they hit one)

I just did a google-map search of the area, and if you could commute south of hwy 29, I might try Braddock Rd or if that is too insane nowadays, perhaps a more indirect route using rte. 654, 123 (ox rd.) and up past or through George Mason Univ.

It almost appears that with the google map search you might find side streets connecting all the county, state, and us hwys even.

another website that might help could be:
http://www.waba.org/

Thanks for the replies...
I wouldnt mind riding 29, but I just dont trust morning commuters.
An indirect route might be best for me, as long as I can ride it'll help me keep in shape during the winter months.

Oh yeah, DON AND MIKE RULE!

StartTday said:
Thanks for the replies...
I wouldnt mind riding 29, but I just dont trust morning commuters.
An indirect route might be best for me, as long as I can ride it'll help me keep in shape during the winter months.

Oh yeah, DON AND MIKE RULE!
damn straight don and mike rule!!!

all right!

i havent missed a single show since moving away from the DC area in 2002....a little internet help from my friends took care of that easily.

anyway, if the winter is mild up there and the streets stay fairly clean you can ride thru the winter. i was able to do it one mild winter a few years back.
not so in alaska, although i did get in one last long ride on halloween day up there. cold as ESS though. but no matter, with xc skiing up there taking up my next 6 months of activity, so i stay happy there.
:cool:

Stay off 29. Lots for traffic, narrow lanes, construction and no shoulder for most of it.

Braddock road has a decent path on the south side. I've taken it from Old Centreville Road to Burke Station Road. Relatively smooth, relatively safe and not much used on weekends (may be different on weekdays when school is open.)

For getting from Centreville to Braddock - Union Mill

For getting from Braddock into Fairfax - Shriley Gate for the west end, 123 to Univeristy for the center of town, or Burke Station for the east end.

If you need to get to Vienna and the W&OD, use Burke Station to Little River Turnpike, right to Pickett, left to Fairfax Circle, Fairfax connector trail to Courthouse Rd, right at Locust to the community center.