From Dover to Portsmouth

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Yan Roosens, Apr 9, 2006.

  1. Yan Roosens

    Yan Roosens Guest

    Hello from Belgium!

    This summer, we (my wife, our 7 years old son and me) have to go from
    Dover to Portsmouth.
    We have time, so why not walk a couple of days? We will have all our
    equipment since we are on the road to Spain where we will walk for 3
    weeks (we will take the boat from Portsmouth to Bilbao)
    We would like to know if there is a footpath long the shore, like the GR
    34 in Bretagne?
    And, if you had to walk for a couple of days in this area, which part of
    the journey from Dover to Portsmouth would you choose?

    Thank you for taking time to read me,
    Yan

    A six days hiking in the Vosges: http://users.skynet.be/fa035702/vosges/

    Tags:

  2. Tom Crispin

    Tom Crispin Guest

    On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 12:56:39 +0200, Yan Roosens
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hello from Belgium!
    >

    >This summer, we (my wife, our 7 years old son and me) have to go from
    >Dover to Portsmouth.
    >We have time, so why not walk a couple of days? We will have all our
    >equipment since we are on the road to Spain where we will walk for 3
    >weeks (we will take the boat from Portsmouth to Bilbao)
    >We would like to know if there is a footpath long the shore, like the GR
    >34 in Bretagne?
    >And, if you had to walk for a couple of days in this area, which part of
    >the journey from Dover to Portsmouth would you choose?

    There is a coastal path, some of it called the Wayfarer's Way, but
    most of it is boring, and nothing compared to the beautiful GR34 - for
    that you need to travel a very long way west into Cornwall. The South
    Downs' Way is far more interesting and beautiful, and extends from
    Eastbourne (60 Km south west of Dover) to Winchester (30 Km north of
    Portsmouth).

    http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/Southdowns/sites.asp?PageId=26

    It is a minimum of 5 days to walk the entire 160 Km route with a young
    child.

    Others will no doubt have their own views, but I think the most
    beautiful sections are just north of Chichester, Cocking, Harting and
    Butser. Devil's Dyke and Ditchling Beacon, further east, are worth a
    visit too.

    Kingley Vale, not shown on the interactive map, has a very fine trail
    for children.

  3. Jim Ford

    Jim Ford Guest

    Yan Roosens wrote:

    > This summer, we (my wife, our 7 years old son and me) have to go from
    > Dover to Portsmouth.

    If you didn't know already, when you get to Portsmouth visit the
    Historic Ships Dockyard:

    http://www.flagship.org.uk/index2.htm

    It's well worth a visit and I'm sure your son will love HMS Victory!

    http://www.hms-victory.com/

    Jim Ford

  4. Yan Roosens

    Yan Roosens Guest

    Hello Jim,

    Jim Ford wrote:

    > If you didn't know already, when you get to Portsmouth visit the
    > Historic Ships Dockyard:
    >
    > http://www.flagship.org.uk/index2.htm
    >
    > It's well worth a visit and I'm sure your son will love HMS Victory!
    >
    > http://www.hms-victory.com/
    >
    > Jim Ford

    Looks great. Thank you for the links.
    Indeed, my son seems to be very interested...

    Yan

  5. Yan Roosens

    Yan Roosens Guest

    Hello Tom,

    Tom Crispin wrote:

    > The South
    > Downs' Way is far more interesting and beautiful, and extends from
    > Eastbourne (60 Km south west of Dover) to Winchester (30 Km north of
    > Portsmouth).
    >
    > http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/Southdowns/sites.asp?PageId=26
    >
    > It is a minimum of 5 days to walk the entire 160 Km route with a young
    > child.

    I think we will walk on the South Down's Way when coming back from Spain, so
    we most likely take the time to walk the 160 km if the weather is fine.
    Thank you for the link.

    Yan

  6. Coastwalker

    Coastwalker Guest

    "Yan Roosens" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hello Jim,
    >
    > Jim Ford wrote:
    >
    >> If you didn't know already, when you get to Portsmouth visit the
    >> Historic Ships Dockyard:
    >>
    >> http://www.flagship.org.uk/index2.htm
    >>
    >> It's well worth a visit and I'm sure your son will love HMS Victory!
    >>
    >> http://www.hms-victory.com/
    >>
    >> Jim Ford

    > Looks great. Thank you for the links.
    > Indeed, my son seems to be very interested...
    >
    > Yan

    Hi Yan

    I have walked the coast from Portsmouth as far as Peacehaven in the last
    couple of years. It is possible to walk along the coast even though there is
    not a named path. I can' t think of any part that was particularly boring,
    but found the stretch from Selsey and Wittering quite hard going. Going
    through Worthing or Bognor Regis would give you a taste of a typical British
    seaside resort if you fancy that or the nature reserve at Pagham is
    interesting if you like birds. Bosham is a beautiful village and just south
    of it at West Itchenor you can cross the harbour on the Itchy Bosom Ferry,
    so called because it joins the two villages.

    When you have decided which part to do, I can help with information about
    places to stop, transport and things like that if you like. Let me know

  7. Yan Roosens

    Yan Roosens Guest

    Hello!

    Coastwalker wrote:

    > I have walked the coast from Portsmouth as far as Peacehaven in the last
    > couple of years. It is possible to walk along the coast even though there is
    > not a named path. I can' t think of any part that was particularly boring,
    > but found the stretch from Selsey and Wittering quite hard going. Going
    > through Worthing or Bognor Regis would give you a taste of a typical British
    > seaside resort if you fancy that or the nature reserve at Pagham is
    > interesting if you like birds. Bosham is a beautiful village and just south
    > of it at West Itchenor you can cross the harbour on the Itchy Bosom Ferry,
    > so called because it joins the two villages.
    >
    > When you have decided which part to do, I can help with information about
    > places to stop, transport and things like that if you like. Let me know

    Great, thank you so much!
    We have not yet really decided if we would walk when going to Spain or when
    coming back from Spain.
    But since we must book our cabin on the boat from Portsmouth to Bilbao, most
    likely we will walk when we will come back from Spain because we don't have to
    book a cabin on the boat between Dover and Dunkerque, so we won't be kept by a
    booking, and it won't matter how many days we will take to reach Dover. Walking
    is much more funny when you don't have a deadline.

    I will look on a map to locate the villages you are talking about.
    I will surely come back in this news group with a lot of questions...

    Yan

  8. Jon Combe

    Jon Combe Guest

    > Hi Yan
    >
    > I have walked the coast from Portsmouth as far as Peacehaven in the last
    > couple of years. It is possible to walk along the coast even though there is
    > not a named path. I can' t think of any part that was particularly boring,
    > but found the stretch from Selsey and Wittering quite hard going. Going
    > through Worthing or Bognor Regis would give you a taste of a typical British
    > seaside resort if you fancy that or the nature reserve at Pagham is
    > interesting if you like birds. Bosham is a beautiful village and just south
    > of it at West Itchenor you can cross the harbour on the Itchy Bosom Ferry,
    > so called because it joins the two villages.
    >
    > When you have decided which part to do, I can help with information about
    > places to stop, transport and things like that if you like. Let me know

    Yan,

    I have been gradually walking round the south coast too. So far I have
    covered from Torcross in Devon to Dymchurch in Kent. There are official
    footpaths for some of the way, for example the Solent Way from Portsmouth
    east to Emsworth. Also the South Downs Way between Exceat and Eastbourne
    and the North Downs Way between Folkestone and Dover. For the whole rest
    of the way there are either footpaths (generally always seems to be when
    there are cliffs) or you can walk along the beach. This can be hard going
    on the shingle beaches however (especially around Dungeness!).

    I personally found it fine around Wittering and Selsey, but I was lucky
    to be there around low tide, so for much of the walk I could walk on the
    hard sand at low tide. The other bit that is tough is from Camber Sands
    round to Lydd-on-Sea which is all shingle (and part of it also a firing
    range so you can only follow the coast when the range is closed). The
    only bit I remember having to leave the coast for much time was at
    Sovereign Harbour, to the east of Eastbourne and to head inland to Rye
    as there isn't any safe crossing of the River Rother.

    If you do it I really think you'll enjoy it, it's a beautiful and
    ever changing landscape. If you have the time, the circular path
    round the Isle of Wight is also well-worth the effort, particularly
    around the south of the island, which is stunning.

    If you want an idea of what it's like here are a few photos I've taken
    whilst walking the coast in the last few months:-

    http://joncombe.fotopic.net/c895485.html - Rye to Dungeness
    http://joncombe.fotopic.net/c858557.html - Hastings to Rye
    http://joncombe.fotopic.net/c835916.html - Cooden Beach to Hastings
    http://joncombe.fotopic.net/c791003.html - Eastbourne to Cooden Beach
    http://joncombe.fotopic.net/c504391.html - Exceat to Eastbourne
    http://joncombe.fotopic.net/c746754.html - Rottingdean to Exceat
    http://joncombe.fotopic.net/c732689.html - Shoreham to Rottingdean

    That covers all of East Sussex - I can send you more links if you
    havn't had enough by then!

    A web site I'd recommend is
    http://www.britishwalks.org/walks/Named/Coastwalk/index.html

    This site covers a walk by David Cotton (who I think sometimes posts
    in this group) around the whole of the UK Coastline (not just Dover
    to Portsmouth). He has some information on directions and paths to
    follow.

    Jon.

  9. Yan Roosens

    Yan Roosens Guest

    Hello Jon,

    Jon Combe wrote:

    > A web site I'd recommend is
    > http://www.britishwalks.org/walks/Named/Coastwalk/index.html
    >
    > This site covers a walk by David Cotton (who I think sometimes posts
    > in this group) around the whole of the UK Coastline (not just Dover
    > to Portsmouth). He has some information on directions and paths to
    > follow.
    >
    > Jon.

    Thank you for the link, the site is simply astonishing
    It will be of great help to select the areas where we will walk.

    Good news for us: it is possible to purchase the OS maps in Belgium.

    Thanks to you all, the atmosphere of the group is very pleasant.

    Yan

  10. Coastwalker

    Coastwalker Guest

    Jon

    I should have thought of Dave's website, especially as we are on it! I
    reckon that will give Yan most of the information he needs.

    I find it interesting though that different walkers approach their walking
    from different perspectives. Dave and other seem to very much see the large
    picture and walk as far as possible each day in order to "tick off the
    miles". We stop often to see the sights and if there is an interesting
    castle or somesuch, sometimes only walk five or six miles in a day. It's a
    very personal thing.

    It proves that walking has many aspects doesn't it?

    "Yan Roosens" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hello Jon,
    >
    > Jon Combe wrote:
    >
    >> A web site I'd recommend is
    >> http://www.britishwalks.org/walks/Named/Coastwalk/index.html
    >>
    >> This site covers a walk by David Cotton (who I think sometimes posts
    >> in this group) around the whole of the UK Coastline (not just Dover
    >> to Portsmouth). He has some information on directions and paths to
    >> follow.
    >>
    >> Jon.

    > Thank you for the link, the site is simply astonishing
    > It will be of great help to select the areas where we will walk.
    >
    > Good news for us: it is possible to purchase the OS maps in Belgium.
    >
    > Thanks to you all, the atmosphere of the group is very pleasant.
    >
    > Yan

  11. Roger

    Roger Guest

    "Yan Roosens" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hello from Belgium!
    >

    > This summer, we (my wife, our 7 years old son and me) have to go from
    > Dover to Portsmouth.
    > We have time, so why not walk a couple of days? We will have all our
    > equipment since we are on the road to Spain where we will walk for 3
    > weeks (we will take the boat from Portsmouth to Bilbao)
    > We would like to know if there is a footpath long the shore, like the GR
    > 34 in Bretagne?
    > And, if you had to walk for a couple of days in this area, which part of
    > the journey from Dover to Portsmouth would you choose?

    I've done the whole stretch along the coast and it's pretty boring for the
    most part because there are large chunks of town walking-

    leaving Portsmouth [although walking the Town Walls from the ferry terminal
    to South Parade pier area is worth the effort]

    Bognor to Littlehampton

    through Brighton and its extensive suburbs;

    Eastbourne to Hastings ;

    Folkstone to Dover.

    Then there is the mess of the Eastern suburbs of Portsmouth; Hayling Island
    and Chichester Harbour. There is a ferry from Portsmouth to Hayling Island
    [a low mound of shingle with a town on it], but the bus to Havant is the
    only other way off.

    For all that the bit between Seaford and Eastbourne over the Seven Sisters
    and Beachy Head should not be missed.

    Looking at the OS maps I would think that the South Downs Way will be more
    interesting, and it includes the Seven Sisters - Beachy Head section.

    Of the towns on the coast the ones that stand out are the old town in
    Hastings & Rye.

    Between Camber and Dungeness there is a large military establishment which
    means a detour inland. The Dungeness area has a bleakness tht is almost
    attractive, but we found it tedious to walk through; and going across the
    shingle to Rye was very hard work.

    When you reach Hythe it is pretty well built up all the way to Dover.

    Roger C

  12. Yan Roosens

    Yan Roosens Guest

    Hello,

    Roger wrote:

    > I've done the whole stretch along the coast and it's pretty boring for the
    > most part because there are large chunks of town walking-

    By looking at this site
    http://www.britishwalks.org/walks/Named/Coastwalk/index.html (thanks to Jon!),
    we also found that the most interesting part was the Beachy Head - Seven
    Sisters section.
    We also saw some nice pictures of the South Downs Way, so most likely, we will
    walk the South Downs Way.

    Yan