From Fatty To Beanpole

I totally agree.To loose too much weight is not good.On the other hand I have a couple of kilos to go stil.I need to lose 5 more to be on my goal of 80.You can see where I started.I am muscular so I dont think I can loose more than that.Keep the good work up.:D

Sillyoldtwit said:
Well not quite beanpole.:) Has anyone lost a lot of weight since taking up cycling, and if so is it just the cycling or has a change in diet played a part?
In 1999 at age 48 I was
240 lbs. Today at 55 I
am 150 lbs, trim, fit and
healthy.

I attribute it to both biking
and diet. I live on whey
protein powder and the
occasionally meal at a
decent restuarant.

See http://www.wheyoflife.org
for details on the many
health benefits of this
great amino acid/NO FAT
pure protein food source.

When I started riding
again in '99 I could only
ride about a mile without
feeling like death was
imminent. Today, I can
ride all day and recover
well by the next day.:)

Ned Goudy said:
In 1999 at age 48 I was
240 lbs. Today at 55 I
am 150 lbs, trim, fit and
healthy.

I attribute it to both biking
and diet. I live on whey
protein powder and the
occasionally meal at a
decent restuarant.

See http://www.wheyoflife.org
for details on the many
health benefits of this
great amino acid/NO FAT
pure protein food source.

When I started riding
again in '99 I could only
ride about a mile without
feeling like death was
imminent. Today, I can
ride all day and recover
well by the next day.:)
I knew when I started this thread that others would massacre my figures.
A cool 90 pounds - that's a lot less to be heaving up a climb Ned. Well done,
I think you're our champ; unless someone out there knows better.;)

Am not sure about the whey protein diet though, but hell if it works for you........ Tyson

Sillyoldtwit said:
LOL Yeah it was back on the 15th Jan 5 short months ago you offered me your first advice and forewarned me that RapDaddyo would probably chip in with some advice. Little did I know what I was letting myself in for.:D

On a serious note though, I'm still grateful to you, RD and others in this great forum who set me off on a path I never imagined posssible. Keeping on topic, I'm now finding it harder to shed what I consider those last 1 or 2 kilos. I've managed to get my body fat down to 18% from 23% plus, but this is also proving difficult to lower now. But as I think you said, you can increase your power to compensate for the being a little heavy, and hopefully I'm not even close to plateauing out yet. Only time will tell.;) TYSON
haha.
a 34 inch waist..you fatsooo hahah jk jk
im seventeen years old. about six foot and bought my bike last year, since last august ive lost 46 lbs, gone from a size 36 to size 34. im 198 lbs and have dropped my BF% by over fifty percent. but even still im at around 13 percent :-/ ive been lazy lately though. but losing weight and going fast feel good...because you are carrying less weight, and you know that hard work is what got you there. keep up the great work everybody.
-rOOster-

I'm in the process of dropping my remaining weight. I already dropped about 50lbs (23kg). I have about 40lbs more to drop (18kg).

Most of that was lost through diet and running. I realized I hate running and have since switched to biking.

My question for those with dramatic weight loss, did you have a problem with excess skin when the weight came off? Did you lose it slow enough that it wasn't a factor?

Congratulations to all of you guys.

I find that it's hard to separate cycling, from the other benefits it brings to one's lifestyle in general. And that includes diet of course.

If I don't do sports, then I proabably smoke, eat bad, sleep late and have sex just about everywhere in the appartment.

Now, I don't smoke, eat well and sleep early. :D

Mansmind said:
I don't know, that's an estimate.. but it was close to that time frame. Felt like it just melted off... of course family and friends decided I was too "skinny"..lol.

Your topic made me reflect back to when I first started riding (July 04). Before then, I hadn't ridden a bike anything close to seriously since high school. I actually bought a decent mountain bike about 12 years ago, but it was stolen within a month ( I have bad luck with that).

Anyway, I started considering getting back into it about a month before and did a little research about what I wanted. Finally went to a local bike shop and made the purchase (04 Allez Comp Double). I'd never ridden clipless before but decided to give it a try. Of course I had to take it for a ride that day....I think I got a total of 6 miles before I felt dead. :D I think my speed average on that ride was a whopping 11-12 mph.

That night I remember thinking.. "Why oh why didn't I get a triple??????" It's pretty hilly where I live; the flattest route I take is a loop that has approximately 50ft. of climbing per mile. I remember getting on this forum the first time (wanting to learn everything I could) and being amazed that people talked about riding base miles at 60% MHR. I thought.. HOW???????. At the time, I couldn't climb out of my parking lot at that heart rate..lol.

I rode every day for the first couple of weeks, and got relatively comfortable with 10-15 miles. The "2 week" anniversary of getting the bike fell on a Saturday, and I decided I was going to go on a long ride. I'm thinking.. "I'll just take it slow so I don't get tired". I had a pair of bike shorts already, but I was still wearing a cut up cotton t-shirt. The temperature was around 95 F that day. I didn't take anything at all to eat, but I did carry two bottles of water. At about the 23 mile mark, I started realizing the folly of my decision to ride that far!

I was hungry, getting sun burned, couldn't find a place to buy more water, etc. etc. etc. I finally did find a place to buy water, bought a power bar, and took about a 30 minute break before heading back the other direction.

When I finally got back home, I'd ridden 47 miles at an average of 12.5 mph. That particular route as I later discovered, has right at 5700 ft. of climbing in that 47 miles. I'd been gone a total of 4 hrs. 30 minutes and was almost sick I was so tired..lol. I remember sitting on my couch staring at the tv (not moving) and thinking if that isn't a right of passage, I don't know what is.

Looking back now, it was pretty stupid to take on that ride that early, but it's also a fond memory. As hard as it was then, it felt like a pretty big accomplishment to cover that much ground on two wheels. I doesn't seem like such a big deal now.. but at the time it was.

Too much information I know, but it's fun to look back at the beginning sometimes, especially remembering that I was carrying around an extra 30lbs. then. I remember reading a quote somewhere.. might have been here. One of the more famous racers said it.. maybe Indurain? "Training never gets easier, you just get faster." At the time I thought... "I hope so!!". Thankfully it's proven to be a very true statement.

John

Actually, that's really cool and I think that most people that cycle seriously feel the same away about a previous ride when they were "getting into the sport". It's that cool sense of accomplishment that feels so rewarding.

I still get a kick out of driving with the family and pointing out that I was "there" earlier in the day on my bike - usually it's about 25 minutes of freeway drive time away from the house.
My favorite though, is hearing my wife after I ride a century, "I don;t even like to drive 100 miles in a car".

Guess that's why we're passionate about it. It's a healthy addiction (which is often how i justify spending what I do on gear).

25 years ago, I weighed 130 lbs. I had been smoking just less than a pack a day for twenty years, and had never run or biked in my life. I had also suffered a collapsed lung back in my early 20's. My then bro-in-law was one of the founders of triathloning in San Diego. I got some advice from him and bought some running shoes and shorts and started running. It was tough! I felt like Gabby Hayes and ran slower.

After training up and finishing a 10K, I quit smoking, started swimming at the Y. A few months later, I bought a bike, a Bianchi Shimano 600 equipped road bike and started in. After several years of ever increasing workouts, I was up to 18000 yards per week swimming, over 100 miles a week riding and 25-30 miles per week running. I had hit 40 years old, and while I didn't ever win my age group, I was starting to give the guy who did a scare. Every workout was harder, faster, further or both! I thought that if I just worked harder, faster, stronger, I could get my picture on the cover of Sports Illustrated!

Well, about 20 years ago, getting ready to go to Ironman New Zealand, I started having funny pains in my left foot, what proved to be plantar fasciitis. After struggling for a few years, all kinds of medical and quasi-medical attention, I had to quit running pretty much, biked seldom and swam a lot less, and eventually, due frankly to morale problems, gave up all together. It seemed stupid to run when I could barely walk. I have not ridden a bike since 1994. As my conditioning decreased, my weight increased, of course. The only exercise I got was forklifts!

All this time, for 20 years, I have been plaqued with PF, but about a year ago, I stopped wearing the straight lasted running shoes I had been advised to wear. Gradually, gradually, the symptoms abated and now I am essentially symptom free for the first time in 20 years! I began swimming again about a year ago, and started walking earlier this year. Now I can break into a kind of double time shuffle slow jog for up to 30 minutes at a time. I am refurbishing my Eddy to get it back into riding shape.

Trouble is, I had gained over 120 lbs in the interim, not to mention unavoidably 20 years older! I have lost some of the weight, so I am at the moment only up 100 lbs.

You younger guys are well-advised to do all this conditioning when you are young. Every year, it gets more difficult to get it done, especially to start.

I don't know if I will ever be able to complete a triathlon again like the good old days, or get the weight off, or even live long enough to get back into that kind of shape. Who knows??!!

mattjf said:
I'm in the process of dropping my remaining weight. I already dropped about 50lbs (23kg). I have about 40lbs more to drop (18kg).

Most of that was lost through diet and running. I realized I hate running and have since switched to biking.

My question for those with dramatic weight loss, did you have a problem with excess skin when the weight came off? Did you lose it slow enough that it wasn't a factor?
I have a bit of a double chin after losing 90 lbs, but
other than that I have no complaints.

Beginning Weight: 240
Current Weight: 150
Maintaining since 2001

I ride my bike at least 100 miles
a week if not more.

Physical recovery from obesity is possible!