From Lance To Landis by David Walsh

greg52

Jul 26, 2007
Ok I know it came out near the end of June, but did anyone here read it?

I read the entire thing over the past 2 days and I thought it was a good book, except that Walsh spent too much time on Lance and skimmed quick over Landis's story.

Also, Walsh relies too much on these secondhand accounts to find legit information.

What did you guys think?

the only "dish" cycling book i've read is lance armstrong's war by coyle, which i'd highly recommend. this new walsh book sounds intriguing as well though.

SaintAndrew said:
the only "dish" cycling book i've read is lance armstrong's war by coyle, which i'd highly recommend. this new walsh book sounds intriguing as well though.
Coyle's book is far and away the best cycling book I've ever read. And the revelations about Ferrari vs Carmichael are actually pretty ground breaking -- if the book is right, then Carmichael's a fraud and Lance has participated in it to make money (since he's a part owner in Carmichael's TrainRight company).

I am reading it now. Don't tell me how it ends.

By the way, there is no freakin way Carichael is a fraud. The man is a genius. He invented PowerIntervals(tm), SprintIntervals(tm), ThresholdIntervals(tm), HighSpeedPedaling(tm),...

Frigo's Luggage said:
I am reading it now. Don't tell me how it ends.

By the way, there is no freakin way Carichael is a fraud. The man is a genius. He invented PowerIntervals(tm), SprintIntervals(tm), ThresholdIntervals(tm), HighSpeedPedaling(tm),...
everyone has been doing intervals in training since forever...

youhaditcoming said:
everyone has been doing intervals in training since forever...

No way man Carmichael created this stuff..... no one did it like he did... before him riders would just go out and ride then he came along and gave lance the secret weapon in training...... no wonder Lance won 7 tours.... the Europeans just didn't get it.....

the Walsh book is very good for about 3/4's of the book. i think his coverage of Armstrong is pretty deep. He builds an interesting case of the Motorola team and how a key race in the mid '90's might have been a turning point for doping to have begun at Motorola.

I the last part of the book a little less interesting.

i also went to thepaceline.com which is Team Discovery's official website and printed documents Armstrong posted that purport to repudiate Walsh's account of key events. some are sections of depositions, some witness statements, etc.. Armstrong is particularly interested in calling out Frankie Andreu and his wife who swear to have witnessed a conversation in which Armstrong admitted taking PED's to his doctors during a key meeting at a hospital.

I don't recall being particularly swayed by the Armstrong articles, but they did shed some light on his side of the story.

greg52 said:
Ok I know it came out near the end of June, but did anyone here read it?

I read the entire thing over the past 2 days and I thought it was a good book, except that Walsh spent too much time on Lance and skimmed quick over Landis's story.

Also, Walsh relies too much on these secondhand accounts to find legit information.

What did you guys think?
I read "LA Confidential" when it came out, and lately "LA Officiel" by Walsh. Both are only available in French (by the way I always wondered why no American publisher wanted to release them - too much pressure from LA lawyers ? ). The Landis affair was Walsh's opportunity to release a book in English to justify his thoughts about LA's doping swindle. That's why you'll find more stuff about Armstrong than Landis in this book.

well we were doing structured intervals in the 80's., i reckon cyclists did them even before, maybe not as structured, but intervals anyway.

youhaditcoming said:
well we were doing structured intervals in the 80's., i reckon cyclists did them even before, maybe not as structured, but intervals anyway.

are you sure ? You can't have been doing like Carmichiel does them with Lance......... no way....... maybe after reading his books you thought you were ?

I remember doing them in the seventies. But they were the hopeless, inefficient, non trademarked, pre-Carmichael variety, which explains a lot of things. Gee, I sure wish I'd have known about the real thing, back then.

whiteboytrash said:
are you sure ? You can't have been doing like Carmichiel does them with Lance......... no way....... maybe after reading his books you thought you were ?
Carmichaels intervals are ground breaking, a period of intense work followed by a period of rest, incredible!:D Do them and you too could be like Lance:p

NJK said:
Carmichaels intervals are ground breaking, a period of intense work followed by a period of rest, incredible!:D Do them and you too could be like Lance:p
They are groundbreaking especially when you add blood doping into the mix they become even more effective !

okay, i picked it up the other day and just finished it. i have to say, i enjoyed it alot. i'm suprised no one's mentioned the IM convo between andreu and vaughters where vaughters specfically talks about postal's blood doping program- info he says he got from landis.

he talks about blood being drawn shortly after the dauphine', and then driven up mid tour in motorcycles with refridgerated panniers. lol they were talking about hincapie pacing lance up the alps that one day. haha i completely remember that stage. i think it was the same tour when heras set a blistering pace up for a group of like 5, then sat up with a couple miles to go, then just continued to ride up at an easy pace like right after the lead group.