From newbie to L'Etape 07?

graycat

Jun 19, 2006
Hey all,

Relatively new to the board and pretty new to cycling all round really. :)I've been persauded to get back into the pedaling saddle as opposed to my usual engined version by my younger bro and not only that, a challenge has been thrown down!! As you may have guessed from the title, the challenge in question is to take part in L'Etape next year. Now from what i've read, this is not a small challenge at all but as with everything - if it was easy, it wouldn't be worth doing! :) lol

To give you a bit of background on myself: I'm 28 & slightly on the wrong side of the fitness scale. Recently started commuting the 7 miles each way trip to work as well as pootling around post ride and at the weekends. I've invested my hard earned cash in a Dawes Giro 300, padded shorts etc etc so tink i've got everything i could need and just have to get the miles covered :)

Obviously I'm willing to commit a lot to the training etc and will be starting it off by every other trip taking an even longer route back from work - tonight it's going to be a 20 mile return trip and i'm planning to build from there. also, i'll be meeting with my brother on a monthly basis for much longer and general training tips as he's a pretty handy tri-athlete.

so, do you think it's possible in 12 months to go from an almost standing start to finishing L'Etape? I know it'll be hard but it'll be fun too!

Tim.