From road bike to commuter

thombo

Nov 26, 2005
Hey, I'm sure this has been answered before, but I didnt find a thread right off. Anyway, I currently ride a Trek 1000 mainly for excersize and getting to and from class (which is a really light ride), but I'm likely going to move to a city after graduation and would strongly consider commuting/biking to do errands. Anyway, what are basic alterations people can make to their road bikes in order to make them more urban-suitable? More durable tires/wheels? Fenders? How do you keep grease of the pant legs? etc etc. Any information at all would be helpful. Also, when people ride to work, do y'all generally dress in bike wear and then change to work clothes upon arrival?

I know, lots of general questions that have probably been answered. If i could at least get a link to a similar thread I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Bruce

I've been commuting for years. Depending how far you live from work and what the dress code is depend on what your wear. My work usually has been 5 to 7 miles away and now it is 15 1/2. I always wear my bike clothes and change at work. I find for the 5 to 7 miles commute - shower in the morning, then cool down at work then change usually is fine (i.e., I don't stink by the end of the day :eek: ). For my longer commute now, I shower in the morning, then wash my face and pits after getting to work. I'm starting to look into other cleaning methods - wipes, etc. Some people have said they like Rocket shower (www.10nine8.net), I have not tried it.

I have a rear rack where I hang my 2 panniers. Don't like wearing a backpack. I have a tool kit for basic repairs, bike pump, patches, and 1 to 2 spare tubes. I usually bring a water bottle, sometimes with gatorade. I have 2 bikes, one with fenders and one without.

Here is a website on bike commuting - www.bike-to-work.com.

I really enjoy it. After a bad day at work :mad: , it helps to relieve the stress:).

-- John

I have been commuting for years, switched from 10 speeds to 3 speeds 6 years ago, find the latter more satisfactory for in-town stop and start cycling.
I use generator lights plus flashers at the rear of the racks. Regarding keeping
grease of your pants, try dipping your chain in paraffin or chain wax rather than
using sprays, etc. Regarding wheels, I don't know what comes with your Trek
1000, I use 36 spoke wheels, I am 200 lbs and often have 40 lbs on the bike.

fenders - definately.. tires - depends on the roads you ride, and what your bike can accomidate, but I use 28s and they work well for me. As for pant legs, I just roll mine up, but I'm not too concerned about a slightly wrinkled pant leg, so that depends on the person. If you need to be punctual for work, make sure you're good at basic maintenance, and/or have a back-up plan (I can lock my bike and hop on the bus if ever necessary. Hasn't been yet in four years.)

I wear my work clothes, but my commute is only four miles and it's flat. If it was 10+ on more challenging terrain, I'd have to figure something else out. I used to commute sixteen miles in both directions but I had access to a shower at work, which I don't anymore.

thombo said:
Hey, I'm sure this has been answered before, but I didnt find a thread right off. Anyway, I currently ride a Trek 1000 mainly for excersize and getting to and from class (which is a really light ride), but I'm likely going to move to a city after graduation and would strongly consider commuting/biking to do errands. Anyway, what are basic alterations people can make to their road bikes in order to make them more urban-suitable? More durable tires/wheels? Fenders? How do you keep grease of the pant legs? etc etc. Any information at all would be helpful. Also, when people ride to work, do y'all generally dress in bike wear and then change to work clothes upon arrival?

I know, lots of general questions that have probably been answered. If i could at least get a link to a similar thread I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Bruce

I started commuting this summer--a little over 6 miles one way with hills. I found that biking clothes make the ride faster, more comfortable, and I get more respect from the drivers.

I shower just before leaving, then cool off and towel down at work while I stretch and change into my office casual clothes. I keep a suit and tie at the office for when I have a client meeting. This works for me, with no smell.

I wear a backpack, but am considering a rack. My back gets all soggy in all weather. I've ridden in 95 degree weather and in 20 degree weather. All it took was to select the right riding gear.

I've got a front and back flashing light that are on for every ride. I've got a mountain hybrid (GT Timberline) that I intend to add clipless pedals to. Will be expanding my riding to include recreational this spring.

thombo said:

Thanks,
Bruce
The best situation is to change clothes at work, and wear bike clothes on the bike. I keep a spare outfit at work, sometimes i ride in jeans 9.8 miles and don't change. i ride better in bike clothes.

you may want a little fatter tire just to absorb the bumps. I ride through the Bronx, i need a front shock. I upraded to some specialized armardillo's 32's from 28's. no more flats and a little softer ride.

this is my list of necessities

1. Tool kit/spare inner-tube/pump
2. Lights as many as possible-2 in back, 2 in front
3. Fenders
4. Rack(should never carrying anything on your back if you can help it.)
5. Panniers-or strap a backpack to your rack using 4 bungie cords
6. Emergency rain suit

I run full-coverage fenders, because I like to keep mud off me, my frame and drivetrain, _and_ the cyclists and pedestrians that I pass. (I hate getting mud in the mouth when I pull up behind bikes with wimpy fenders.) I really like Planet Bike's Freddy Fenders, not only for their sturdy attachment system but also 'cause they donate part of their profits to bike advocacy causes.

I hate the idea of changing a tube in the rain, so I've been trying to find a good compromise among ride, protection, and weight. See another thread for more discussion on commuting tires, but my current favorite is Panaracer's Pasela Tour Guard.

I definitely hate backpacks (sweaty back) and much prefer the stability of panniers on a rear rack. Be careful when you buy your rack and panniers, because certain combinations will give you heel strike problems, depending on your shoe size, chainstay length, and foot (or pedal cleat) position.

As for greasy pant legs, I either cinch my right pant leg tight with a reflective, velcro band or roll 'em up.

For street riding on dark and rainy days, don't forget lights, at the very least lights that are bright enough to be seen. Make sure to get at least two rear blinkers (in case one poops out while you're riding), and consider putting another one on a pannier pointing sideways. I really like the Lightman strobes, since they're so darn bright and have a very wide angle of visibility, but they eat batteries faster than LED-based options. Rechargeable NiMH batteries are cost-effective, last long, run in the cold better than alkalines, and are better for the earth.

Forum and web searches will turn up tons of opinions on these topics.

Good luck, and don't forget to enjoy the ride!

thombo said:

Thanks,
Bruce