From Road to Offroad

Kenny Lee

Guest
I am a road rider who wants to get his offroad riding skills into focus. I've gone offroad riding
only once in 2 years. The last time I did offroad I had a great time but also crashed big time. Good
thing I was wearing a helmet. My bike at that time was an MTB wanting to be a road bike, no shock
absorbtion. I've come to realize that certain road conditions would be best traversed using a
properly configured bike. To make a long story short I plan on being in Utah to get in some serious
MTB fun. How long will I need to practice offroad riding in order to develope the skills necessary
to be at the skill level of a full-time offroad rider with intermediate level ability? All things
being equal.

Kenny Lee

>MTB fun. How long will I need to practice offroad riding in order to develope the skills necessary
>to be at the skill level of a full-time offroad rider with intermediate level ability? All things
>being equal.
>
>Kenny Lee

It is impossible to say. Offroad riding presents far more challenges to handling skills than road
riding. Different parts of the country have different conditions so riding in muddy forests might
not prepare one for the dry desert with dusty tractionless climbs or the rocky dry stream beds one
finds in the Southwest.

But the main thing is just to get out and ride and have fun, learn at your own pace and work on
developing your skills an not worry about being a rider with '"intermediate level ability" whatever
that means.

I have been riding motorcycles and bicycles off road for many years. To some I would be an expert,
to some I would be a novice but to me, I just like to ride.

Jon Isaacs

I'm going to agree with Jon on this one. There's really no miracle cure for not having bike handling
skills. The only thing you can do is ride, fall, figure out what to do right next time, try it
again, and again, and again...

For example: I still haven't figured out the dirt here in San Diego. I grew up riding in the
Mid-Atlantic where traction is good, rocks and logs are big, and leaves are slickery. Here in SD,
there's a layer of loose stuff over very hard packed dirt that still (after almost 6 years of
part-time dirt riding) has me puzzled.

news:[email protected]...

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 16:13:13 +0800 in rec.bicycles.misc, Kenny Lee <[email protected]> wrote:

> How long will I need to practice offroad riding in order to develope the skills necessary to be at
> the skill level of a full-time offroad rider with intermediate level ability?

that depends on how fast you learn physical stuff, including physical reactions that at first seem
counter-intuitive, and what kind of coaching you have.

if you learn quickly, you might get to that level in a training camp situation. there are a variety
of these, some for-profit, some conducted by various cycle clubs. they can last from a weekend to
several weeks.

or you can increase your learning by having a knowledgeable friend tutor/mentor you on some rides
that provide a variety of challenges and situations.

coaching really helps. a detached observer can watch your body and bike where you can't, and someone
experienced can tell you what you're doing wrong (or right).

"Kenny Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I am a road rider who wants to get his offroad riding skills into focus. I've gone offroad riding
> only once in 2 years. The last time I did offroad I had a great time but also crashed big time.
> Good thing I was wearing a helmet. My bike at that time was an MTB wanting to be a road bike, no
> shock absorbtion. I've come to realize that certain road conditions would be best traversed using
> a properly configured bike. To make a long story short I plan on being in Utah to get in some
> serious MTB fun. How long will I need to practice offroad riding in order to develope the skills
> necessary to be at the skill level of a full-time offroad rider with intermediate level ability?
> All things being equal.

Years, I think.

>How long will I need to practice offroad riding in order to
>> develope the skills necessary to be at the skill level of a full-time offroad rider with
>> intermediate level ability? All things being equal.
>
>Years, I think.

Peter, I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head.

jon isaacs

Baloney

I rode and raced on the road for twenty years. It took me about 20 rides to get pretty darned
skilled at off-road riding. You will progress faster if you can either ride with skilled riders or
actually get some technical coaching. OR, read a good off-road skills primer and learn the basics.
There are certain things that are key to improving, such as (1) momentum is your friend (2) the
front brake is your enemy , etc.

Of course, these are generalizations, but get on the bike & ride alot, practice the same section
repeatedly until you get it right.

Steve Scarich

>I rode and raced on the road for twenty years. It took me about 20 rides to get pretty darned
>skilled at off-road riding.

At least you think you are skilled.

I don't care how great you are, being a skilled off road rider means a lot more then just tearing
across the country side as fast as possible.

The most difficult part is probably judging obstacles and handling difficult terrain at night. The
light hides holes and can fool you quite easily. I personally have never been with anyone who has
only been on 20 rides who I would consider really competent.

jon isaacs

### On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 19:39:35 GMT, [email protected] (Jon Isaacs) [JI] casually decided to
### expound upon rec.bicycles.misc the following thoughts about Re: From Road to Offroad:

JI> >I rode and raced on the road for twenty years. It took me about 20 rides to get pretty darned
JI> >skilled at off-road riding.
JI>
JI> The most difficult part is probably judging obstacles and handling difficult
JI> terrain at night. The light hides holes and can fool you quite easily. I

My house backs right into a local heavily wooded singletrack trail system. I thought I knew my way
around back there pretty well. Then one evening, I decided to go for a night ride. I got lost for at
least an hour. I normally complete the main loop (2.5 miles) in about 20 minutes. Oh... and yes,
quite a few pair of glowing eyes got to witness me wipe out on stuff I could have cleared easily in
daylight. I'm getting better though. I still get lost but I'm starting to come back wearing less
foliage and ground fodder.

--
| Packet Plumber, Network Engineers /| / [~ [~ |) | | --------------- | for Effective Bandwidth
| Utilisation / |/ [_ [_ |) |_| N E T W O R K S |