From SMH letters page today

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andy Simpson

Well, my letter didn't get published, ditched in favour of these (much better) responses to Tim
Dare's odd article (see other threads).

No, Tim. And we pedal pushers have heard it all before

I was disappointed to see the Herald publish the uninformed, inaccurate and inconsistent drivel put
forth by Tim Dare ("Putting a spoke in the pedal pumpers", Herald, April 16).

Mr Dare trots out the usual cliches about cyclists being unlicensed, unregistered and not
contributing to the costs of road infrastructure. He ignores the fact that cyclists do not control a
huge piece of steel weighing more than a tonne, propelled by a powerful and polluting internal
combustion engine, for which licensing and registration are an obvious necessity. I won't even start
on the lack of skills and etiquette displayed by most Sydney drivers.

Andrew Fatseas, Dulwich Hill, April 16.

A now-penitent commuting cyclist for 10 years, I have had my eyes opened by Tim Dare's wit and
rigorous argument. An activity I foolishly regarded as stimulating, healthy and sane I now see for
the delusional, selfish anti-democratic sham it is.

Tim has missed a greater danger, however: pedestrians. Slow, erratic, unlicensed, a threat to
themselves and society, they presume to take up swathes of paved surface which should rightfully be
shared with cars and buses. These fedayeen of the footpath don't even have wheels, let alone motors.
This just can't be right and we shouldn't put up with it. Tim, with your leadership we can make this
the decade when we stamp the menace out once and for all.

Ian Vaile, Balmain, April 16.

Most of Tim Dare's criticisms have been answered by cycling advocates 20 years ago. We have moved
on. Every Sydney council has a bike plan, even the city is soon to release one. If there is to be
some discussion on cycling and cyclists, at least get in some experts and do a proper job.

There is a lot to be discussed: how cycling to the train station could increase public transport
use, not decrease it; how new urban design can make cycling more attractive (it is a selling point
in most housing estates); how children and adults can get substantial health benefits from regular
cycling; how motorists, pedestrians and cyclists need to understand each other better to improve
road safety; how we can get councils to increase their expertise in bicycle planning.

Bob Moore, Lilyfield, April 16.

Tim Dare raises yet again the tired old furphy that cyclists are a lesser species of commuter as
"there are no tests, licences, registration fees". Tim, I pay registration on my vehicle and my
choice not to drive it has a positive effect on air quality. I also paid GST on my $3000 bike
(unlike new cars which are in fact cheaper under this regime) and I can't claim my ride-to-work bike
as a fringe benefit.

My third-party insurance policy with Bicycle NSW costs me $69 a year and provides $20 million in
coverage for anyone I may collide with.

Simon Tredinnick, Stanmore, April 16.

Status
Not open for further replies.