From the "why did they change it?" file

Sheryl Rosen

Guest
Egg noodles.

Simple, right? You'd think so!

Used to be, egg noodles were flat strips of pasta.

Now, they are flat, but also twisted. Not twisted, like
Rotini/Rotelli/fusilli/"bed springs" (which is what my mom
used to call what Ronzoni calls Rotini), but it's like they
take the flat strips and give them a twist, so that when
they cook, they cook up curly and twisted.

I HATE THAT!

If I want twisty pasta, I'll buy bed spring pasta.

When i want noodles, I want flat noodles. Especially if
I'm making a casserole or a kugel. But even if I'm
making the noodles as an accompaniment to goulash or
meatballs in gravy.

Pennsylvania Dutch egg noodles are all twisty. The store
brand egg noodles are all twisty. All the other brands I've
seen at my market are twisty.

Does anyone know why they now twist the noodles before
they dry so they cook up twisty? Why can't you buy flat
noodles anymore?

Why did they change it????

"Sheryl Rosen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BC7BC1E7.49055%[email protected]...
> Egg noodles.
>
> Simple, right? You'd think so!
>
> Used to be, egg noodles were flat strips of pasta.
>
> Now, they are flat, but also twisted. Not twisted, like
> Rotini/Rotelli/fusilli/"bed springs" (which is what my mom
> used to call
what
> Ronzoni calls Rotini), but it's like they take the flat
> strips and give
them
> a twist, so that when they cook, they cook up curly and
> twisted.
>
> I HATE THAT!
>
> If I want twisty pasta, I'll buy bed spring pasta.
>
> When i want noodles, I want flat noodles. Especially if
> I'm making a casserole or a kugel. But even if I'm making
> the noodles as an
accompaniment
> to goulash or meatballs in gravy.
>
> Pennsylvania Dutch egg noodles are all twisty. The store
> brand egg noodles are all twisty. All the other brands
> I've seen at my market are twisty.
>
> Does anyone know why they now twist the noodles before
> they dry so they
cook
> up twisty? Why can't you buy flat noodles anymore?
>
> Why did they change it????

I can't recall seeing flat egg noodles in the stupidmarket
in at least fifteen years. Although I have seen the flat
ones at some ethnic markets. I either live with the curly
ones or get out the atlas and crank away.

I wonder if the change allows sauces to stick to the noodles
better? Just a thought.

Jessica

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 01:26:19 GMT, Sheryl Rosen
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Egg noodles.
>
>Simple, right? You'd think so!
>
>Used to be, egg noodles were flat strips of pasta.
>
>Now, they are flat, but also twisted.

They always have at least one brand of flat egg noodles
at my grocers (I know because I but them). They're
usually in smaller packages. Standard size seems to be
about 1.5" X 3/8"

-sw

Sheryl Rosen wrote:

> Egg noodles.
>
> Simple, right? You'd think so!
>
> Used to be, egg noodles were flat strips of pasta.
>
> Now, they are flat, but also twisted. Not twisted, like
> Rotini/Rotelli/fusilli/"bed springs" (which is what my mom
> used to call what Ronzoni calls Rotini), but it's like
> they take the flat strips and give them a twist, so that
> when they cook, they cook up curly and twisted.
>
> I HATE THAT!
>
> If I want twisty pasta, I'll buy bed spring pasta.
>
> When i want noodles, I want flat noodles. Especially if
> I'm making a casserole or a kugel. But even if I'm making
> the noodles as an accompaniment to goulash or meatballs
> in gravy.
>
> Pennsylvania Dutch egg noodles are all twisty. The store
> brand egg noodles are all twisty. All the other brands
> I've seen at my market are twisty.
>
> Does anyone know why they now twist the noodles before
> they dry so they cook up twisty? Why can't you buy flat
> noodles anymore?
>
> Why did they change it????

What's so funny is I don't recall ever seeing them flat! I
think they are perfect with stuff like stroganoff, and you
can pick them up with a fork. Sorry for your loss, if I see
flat ones I'll send some along.

nancy

"Sheryl Rosen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BC7BC1E7.49055%[email protected]...
> Egg noodles.
>
> Simple, right? You'd think so!
>
> Used to be, egg noodles were flat strips of pasta.
>
> Now, they are flat, but also twisted. Not twisted, like
> Rotini/Rotelli/fusilli/"bed springs" (which is what my mom
> used to call
what
> Ronzoni calls Rotini), but it's like they take the flat
> strips and give
them
> a twist, so that when they cook, they cook up curly and
> twisted.
>
> I HATE THAT!
>
> If I want twisty pasta, I'll buy bed spring pasta.
>
> When i want noodles, I want flat noodles. Especially if
> I'm making a casserole or a kugel. But even if I'm making
> the noodles as an
accompaniment
> to goulash or meatballs in gravy.
>
> Pennsylvania Dutch egg noodles are all twisty. The store
> brand egg noodles are all twisty. All the other brands
> I've seen at my market are twisty.
>
> Does anyone know why they now twist the noodles before
> they dry so they
cook
> up twisty? Why can't you buy flat noodles anymore?
>
> Why did they change it????

The twisty ones take up more space so it looks like you are
getting more. That's my guess. I got the pasta roller/cutter
attachment for my KitchenAid mixer for Christmas, so I don't
buy noodles anymore. Of course, the homemade ones are flat.
I suppose that's a $100 solution to a $1 problem but I enjoy
making them. I made chicken ravioli yesterday with basil
cream sauce.

"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 01:26:19 GMT, Sheryl Rosen
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Egg noodles.
> >
> >Simple, right? You'd think so!
> >
> >Used to be, egg noodles were flat strips of pasta.
> >
> >Now, they are flat, but also twisted.
>
> They always have at least one brand of flat egg noodles
> at my grocers (I know because I but them). They're
> usually in smaller packages. Standard size seems to be
> about 1.5" X 3/8"
>
> -sw

Good Lord, did you go to the store and whip out a tape
measure? Is there *any* thread that goes by in here without
your input?

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Does anyone know why they now twist the noodles before
>they dry so they cook up twisty? Why can't you buy flat
>noodles anymore?
>
>Why did they change it????

Maybe the twisty ones don't break as much?

> Sheryl Rosen writes:
>
>Egg noodles.
>
>Simple, right? You'd think so!
>
>Used to be, egg noodles were flat strips of pasta.
>
>Now, they are flat, but also twisted. Not twisted, like
>Rotini/Rotelli/fusilli/"bed springs" (which is what my mom
>used to call what Ronzoni calls Rotini), but it's like they
>take the flat strips and give them a twist, so that when
>they cook, they cook up curly and twisted.
>
>I HATE THAT!
>
>If I want twisty pasta, I'll buy bed spring pasta.
>
>When i want noodles, I want flat noodles. Especially if
>I'm making a casserole or a kugel. But even if I'm making
>the noodles as an accompaniment to goulash or meatballs
>in gravy.
>
>Pennsylvania Dutch egg noodles are all twisty. The store
>brand egg noodles are all twisty. All the other brands I've
>seen at my market are twisty.
>
>Does anyone know why they now twist the noodles before
>they dry so they cook up twisty? Why can't you buy flat
>noodles anymore?
>
>Why did they change it????

Curly/twisted noodles are a product of worn pasta dies.
Years ago rather than toss out the imperfect (not flat)
noodles they began to market them. Now it seems they simply
use the worn pasta dies rather than continusly replace them
with nice new smooth slippery ones (and worn dies can go a
very long time before they wear so much that they become
totally non-functional). New pasta dies are not cheap and
down time is expensive while they're changed (and there are
many hundreds of dies on one extruder. If you'll notice,
various shapes of pasta cost more (yet the ingredients,
packaging, and handling is exactly the same as any other),
that's because the dies used to produce those particular
more intricate shapes are more prone to wear and those
shapes produced with a distorted configuration simply will
not sell... the higher price compensates for the
changing/maintaining of the dies, and those dies are
expensive... the more simple shape pasta may be extruded
using teflon dies (plastic - relatively inexpensive as they
are mass produced using plastic injection molding) but the
more intricate shapes require bronze dies, and bronze dies
need to be cast and then hand finished and hand polished,
bronze die production and fitting requires many hours labor
by highly paid skilled craftsmen.

Of course my explanation is an over simplification of what
in actuality is a very complicated proceedure... perhaps
this will help clarify... pay particular attention to pg.
two, center:

http://www.maldari.com/design_and_performance_of_pasta_.htm

---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

in article [email protected], Steve Wertz at

> On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 01:26:19 GMT, Sheryl Rosen
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Egg noodles.
>>
>> Simple, right? You'd think so!
>>
>> Used to be, egg noodles were flat strips of pasta.
>>
>> Now, they are flat, but also twisted.
>
> They always have at least one brand of flat egg noodles
> at my grocers (I know because I but them). They're
> usually in smaller packages. Standard size seems to be
> about 1.5" X 3/8"
>
> -sw

I checked my pantry and found a bag of "Mother's Egg
Noodles" Medium width (probably 3/8", I didn't measure it,
just eyeballed it...maybe a quarter inch), in a 10 ounce
bag. It has a sticker on it that says 99 cents. They are
FLAT. That's rather expensive, IMO, for what it is. I will
check the kosher food aisle, and see if they have flat
noodles there in different widths.

Does Mueller's still make noodles? I remember they had
nice big wide noodles at one time....maybe an inch wide
(uncooked). I liked those with meatballs, stroganoff,
etc. The medium width are nice in casseroles and kugels,
and the fine noodles are good in chicken soup and to
break up and put into rice pilaf. They came in a box,
too, which was nice.

I also recall Goodman's noodles from when I was little. We
always used either Goodman's or Mueller's when I was growing
up. In a box.

in article [email protected], Nancy Young at

> What's so funny is I don't recall ever seeing them flat! I
> think they are perfect with stuff like stroganoff, and you
> can pick them up with a fork. Sorry for your loss, if I
> see flat ones I'll send some along.
>
> nancy

I made beef goulash last night (not the hamburger/macaroni
mixture that some people call goulash, that's what I call
American Chop Suey or Beefy-Mac)...I basically used the
goulash recipe in Joy of Cooking, leaving out the bell
peppers and the sour cream because my friend does not care
for peppers and sour cream is very mean to me. It was tasty
and I served it over egg noodles. As I glanced across the
table at my friend's plate, I noticed how funny the noodles
looked on her plate, all curly and twisty, with gravy on
them. I thought they looked funny. What can I say?

I have an Atlas pasta roller. Perhaps I should just make my
own. Anyone have a recipe for Egg Noodles? (such as one
would serve in soup or with stroganoff or goulash, not
Italian pasta)

"Sheryl Rosen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BC7BC1E7.49055%[email protected]...

> Does anyone know why they now twist the noodles before
> they dry so they
cook
> up twisty? Why can't you buy flat noodles anymore?

> Why did they change it????

I also remember many of the old noodles having cooking
instructions that said to put them in the boiling water then
put a lid on and *turn the heat off*, letting them cook in
the still hot water.

My guess is this technique, a little less user-friendly than
just boiling at a constant rate until done, with pot open to
facilitate sampling for al denteness as the time approached,
was needed to keep the noodles from sticking together in big
lumps. The twisty noodles present smaller amounts of
parallel surface to one another and don't stick together so
tenaciously.

Sheryl Rosen wrote:

> Egg noodles.
>
> Simple, right? You'd think so!
>
> Used to be, egg noodles were flat strips of pasta.
>
> Now, they are flat, but also twisted. Not twisted, like
> Rotini/Rotelli/fusilli/"bed springs" (which is what my mom
> used to call what Ronzoni calls Rotini), but it's like
> they take the flat strips and give them a twist, so that
> when they cook, they cook up curly and twisted.
>
> I HATE THAT!
>
> If I want twisty pasta, I'll buy bed spring pasta.
>
> When i want noodles, I want flat noodles. Especially if
> I'm making a casserole or a kugel. But even if I'm making
> the noodles as an accompaniment to goulash or meatballs
> in gravy.
>
> Pennsylvania Dutch egg noodles are all twisty. The store
> brand egg noodles are all twisty. All the other brands
> I've seen at my market are twisty.
>
> Does anyone know why they now twist the noodles before
> they dry so they cook up twisty? Why can't you buy flat
> noodles anymore?
>
> Why did they change it????

Doesn't bother me in the least. I don't really see what
difference it makes. I've used PA Dutch egg noodles for as
long as I can remember, which is a damn long time, and I
don't recall them being flat at any point. If they were I
guess I just never noticed the change. Kate

--
Kate Connally “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead
already.” Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that smiles back,

Sheryl Rosen <[email protected]> wrote:
> Egg noodles.

> Simple, right? You'd think so!

> Used to be, egg noodles were flat strips of pasta.

> Now, they are flat, but also twisted. Not twisted, like
> Rotini/Rotelli/fusilli/"bed springs" (which is what my mom
> used to call what Ronzoni calls Rotini), but it's like
> they take the flat strips and give them a twist, so that
> when they cook, they cook up curly and twisted.

> I HATE THAT!

> If I want twisty pasta, I'll buy bed spring pasta.

Where do you live? Here in the Philly area, both twisted and
flat egg noodles have been available in the Kosher section
of most grocery stores for many years. Take your pick.

Sheryl Rosen <[email protected]> wrote:
> Egg noodles.

> Simple, right? You'd think so!

Oops. I just realized who I responded to.

You guys in Connecticut must be egg noodle deprived.

Perhaps you can find what you want, in a flat egg noodle at
Zabar's the next time we get together in NYC.

"Sheryl Rosen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BC7BC1E7.49055%[email protected]...
> Egg noodles.
>
> Simple, right? You'd think so!
>
> Used to be, egg noodles were flat strips of pasta.
>
> Now, they are flat, but also twisted. Not twisted, like
> Rotini/Rotelli/fusilli/"bed springs" (which is what my mom
> used to call
what
> Ronzoni calls Rotini), but it's like they take the flat
> strips and give
them
> a twist, so that when they cook, they cook up curly and
> twisted.
>
> I HATE THAT!
>
> If I want twisty pasta, I'll buy bed spring pasta.
>
> When i want noodles, I want flat noodles. Especially if
> I'm making a casserole or a kugel. But even if I'm making
> the noodles as an
accompaniment
> to goulash or meatballs in gravy.
>
> Pennsylvania Dutch egg noodles are all twisty. The store
> brand egg noodles are all twisty. All the other brands
> I've seen at my market are twisty.
>
> Does anyone know why they now twist the noodles before
> they dry so they
cook
> up twisty? Why can't you buy flat noodles anymore?
>
> Why did they change it????

What about Goodman's or Mueller's? I don't think they twist
their noodles. Well, not in the box, anyway. Well, not in
the noodle box, anyway. Sheesh, I'm digging myself a hole
here, aren't I?

Jack Goodmanoodletwisterama

Here's another thing. Remember when you could buy American
Beauty "long" spaghetti in most grocery stores? It was about
two feet long, probably twice as long as normal.

I don't know why, but I prefer it that way. And I haven't
seen it in years.

I know shelf space is a premium commodity, but it would be
so cool to be able to get that again....

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage -->
http://www.panix.com/~mshaw

"[The Blues] is the kind of music that doesn't mince words
-- it gets right to it." -Bonnie Raitt

"Dan Levy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> My guess is this technique, a little less user-friendly
> than just boiling
at
> a constant rate until done, with pot open to facilitate
> sampling for al denteness as the time approached, was
> needed to keep the noodles from sticking together in
> big lumps.

Also, from sticking to the bottom of the pan

Jessica Vincent wrote:

> > If I want twisty pasta, I'll buy bed spring pasta.
> >
> > When i want noodles, I want flat noodles. Especially if
> > I'm making a casserole or a kugel. But even if I'm
> > making the noodles as an
> accompaniment
> > to goulash or meatballs in gravy.
> >
> > Pennsylvania Dutch egg noodles are all twisty. The store
> > brand egg noodles are all twisty. All the other brands
> > I've seen at my market are twisty.
> >
> > Does anyone know why they now twist the noodles before
> > they dry so they
> cook
> > up twisty? Why can't you buy flat noodles anymore?
> >
> > Why did they change it????
> >
> I can't recall seeing flat egg noodles in the stupidmarket
> in at least fifteen years. Although I have seen the flat
> ones at some ethnic markets. I either live with the curly
> ones or get out the atlas and crank away.
>
> I wonder if the change allows sauces to stick to the
> noodles better? Just a thought.

I thought that maybe it was because they take up more space
in the bag and make it look like you are getting more.

in article [email protected], [email protected] at

> Sheryl Rosen <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Egg noodles.
>
>> Simple, right? You'd think so!
>
>> Used to be, egg noodles were flat strips of pasta.
>
>> Now, they are flat, but also twisted. Not twisted, like
>> Rotini/Rotelli/fusilli/"bed springs" (which is what my
>> mom used to call what Ronzoni calls Rotini), but it's
>> like they take the flat strips and give them a twist, so
>> that when they cook, they cook up curly and twisted.
>
>> I HATE THAT!
>
>> If I want twisty pasta, I'll buy bed spring pasta.
>
> Where do you live? Here in the Philly area, both
> twisted and flat egg noodles have been available in the
> Kosher section of most grocery stores for many years.
> Take your pick.

Stan???? You know where I live!!!! You've been here!!!! LOL

in article [email protected], [email protected] at

> Sheryl Rosen <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Egg noodles.
>
>> Simple, right? You'd think so!
>
> Oops. I just realized who I responded to.

See my response to other post!!!!

> You guys in Connecticut must be egg noodle deprived.

We must be.

> Perhaps you can find what you want, in a flat egg noodle
> at Zabar's the next time we get together in NYC.

I'll look. But you might have to remind me because I doubt
I'll remember.