From the "why did they change it?" file

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Sheryl Rosen, Mar 15, 2004.

  1. Jack

    Jack Guest

    In article <BC7BE437.4908B%[email protected]>, in
    rec.food.cooking, [email protected] says...

    > I checked my pantry and found a bag of "Mother's Egg
    > Noodles" Medium width (probably 3/8", I didn't measure it,
    > just eyeballed it...maybe a quarter inch), in a 10 ounce
    > bag. It has a sticker on it that says 99 cents. They are
    > FLAT. That's rather expensive, IMO, for what it is. I will
    > check the kosher food aisle, and see if they have flat
    > noodles there in different widths.
    >
    > Does Mueller's still make noodles? I remember they had
    > nice big wide noodles at one time....maybe an inch wide
    > (uncooked). I liked those with meatballs, stroganoff, etc.
    > The medium width are nice in casseroles and kugels, and
    > the fine noodles are good in chicken soup and to break up
    > and put into rice pilaf. They came in a box, too, which
    > was nice.
    >
    > I also recall Goodman's noodles from when I was little. We
    > always used either Goodman's or Mueller's when I was
    > growing up. In a box.

    Mother's, Mueller's and Goodman's are all available at the
    local Shop Rites here in NJ. Also sometimes available at
    Super Fresh stores; varies by location. As to the pricing on
    the Mother's Egg Noodles, it's been my observation that
    Kosher foods are more expensive than non-Kosher varieties.
    --
    de Jack N2MPU FN20 Modeling the NYC and NYNH&H in HO and CP
    Rail and D&H in N Proud NRA member addy:

  2. Nancy Dooley

    Nancy Dooley Guest

    Sheryl Rosen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BC7BC1E7.49055%[email protected]>...
    > Egg noodles.
    >
    > Simple, right? You'd think so!
    >
    > Used to be, egg noodles were flat strips of pasta.
    >
    > Now, they are flat, but also twisted. Not twisted, like
    > Rotini/Rotelli/fusilli/"bed springs" (which is what my mom
    > used to call what Ronzoni calls Rotini), but it's like
    > they take the flat strips and give them a twist, so that
    > when they cook, they cook up curly and twisted.
    >
    > I HATE THAT!

    Sheryl, I walked by some Passover brand egg noodles at the
    store yesterday - flat, flat, flat. But short. ;-)

    N.

  3. Sheryl Rosen

    Sheryl Rosen Guest

    in article [email protected], Nancy Dooley at
    [email protected] wrote on 3/17/04 10:32 AM:

    > Sheryl, I walked by some Passover brand egg noodles at the
    > store yesterday - flat, flat, flat. But short. ;-)

    HI NANCY!!! Long time no see!!!!

    Yes, the kosher noodles seem to be flat. I have to look
    harder for the kosher ones in my store. They usually are too
    expensive, except in the Fall, when they put them on sale
    for the holidays.

    Those passover noodles are awful (IMO) though. They are made
    from matzo meal and I just haven't acquired a taste for
    them. Not to mention, I have it so engrained in me NOT to
    eat noodles on Passover that even the "kosher for passover"
    ones seem just plain wrong!

    Thanks for the tip!

  4. Ev Dugan

    Ev Dugan Guest

    On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 03:58:45 GMT, Sheryl Rosen
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    :) )I have an Atlas pasta roller. )Perhaps I should just
    :make my own. )Anyone have a recipe for Egg Noodles? (such
    :as one would serve in soup or )with stroganoff or goulash,
    :not Italian pasta)

    My German-American mother's recipe-- taste better than any
    from a store -- she used to hang them over the backs of the
    old wooden kitchen chairs -- I imagine you could cut them,
    dry them some more, and freeze them -- we never did, because
    they taste so good there weren't any to save. Easy to cut
    with a sharp knife or a pizza roller/cutter -- must be cut
    before really dry, while they're still flexible, otherwise
    you have shattered bits.

    Noodles

    5 eggs
    1/2 tbs salt 2 1/2 cups flour

    Mix all together. Roll out on floured pastry cloth or board
    into very thin sheets. Hang or lay out on paper towels to
    dry. Before really dry, but when they will no longer stick
    together, cut into very thin strips. Use immediately by
    feeding a few at a time into simmering soup or salted water.