From Wales: Why drivers really hate cyclists

cfsmtb

New Member
Apr 11, 2003
4,963
Um .... er .... so they're caring, sensitive types afterall? Our P.O.V tends more towards that of Louise the Port Talbot cyclist.

*******************

Why drivers really hate cyclists
http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100...y-drivers-really-hate-cyclists-name_page.html
MOTORISTS hate cyclists because they're secretly scared of hurting them on the roads, according to new research.

Cardiff University academic Ben Fincham has formulated the theory to explain why people on bikes frequently attract rage from other road users.

Mr Fincham, from the university's school of social sciences, reached his finding after studying attitudes towards bike messengers. He says anger towards cyclists derives from a "hierarchy of vulnerability", meaning that while a bike user might make a mistake, it will be a driver that injures them.

He said, "There's definitely an idea that people should all be behaving in the same way because they're all road users, but there's a hierarchy of vulnerability and impact. If a pedestrian walks across the road, it won't be them that causes the damage, but the car that is swerving to avoid them.

"The difference with cyclists is that they operate in the same areas as cars, but they're as vulnerable as pedestrians."

And Mr Fincham, whose interest in the subject was aroused when during a spell as a bike messenger in Cardiff prior to his academic career, said that driving could have a powerful effect on attitudes towards cyclists.

"Cycling is seen as something that's done by people who are slightly unhinged, or willfully negligent anyway. The idea that they probably break the rules of the road is going to upset people and if that is at the forefront of your mind, it will influence your experience of them."

There tend to be clear lines of demarcation between where car users and non-car users are able to go, but cyclists operate between those lines.

"Some cyclists inevitably do things that are not anticipated, like running red lights, and that often upsets motorists. I've heard of people being abused, both physically and verbally, by car users. That level of malice and ire is cranked by the fact that you are doing something that you might be allowed to, but people feel like you shouldn't be doing.

"What confuses a lot of bikers is that if you cut someone up, you will probably have abuse and threats hurled at you, but if a driver actually injured you, they'd be distraught."

But keen cyclist Louise Jones, from Port Talbot, said she found Mr Fincham's theory "a very strange sort of argument". Asked if she had experienced hostility from motorists, she said, "It tends to be just from youths in souped-up cars who think it's only them who are allowed on the roads. You always get the odd idiot who wants to do something silly, but in the main, motorists tolerate the cyclists, and vice versa, as long as they abide by the rules of the road."

cfsmtb wrote:

> Um .... er .... so they're caring, sensitive types afterall? Our P.O.V
> tends more towards that of Louise the Port Talbot cyclist.
>
> *******************
>
> Why drivers really hate cyclists
> http://tinyurl.com/s5myq
> MOTORISTS hate cyclists because they're secretly scared of hurting them
> on the roads, according to new research.
>
> Cardiff University academic Ben Fincham has formulated the theory to
> explain why people on bikes frequently attract rage from other road
> users.

<snip>

I like my theory better: motorists are jealous.

Everything about the behaviour of the angry ones suggests jealousy. Just
walk into your average high school and do a comparison. Name calling,
aggression... Blaming all the world's troubles on you... calling you a
"*** cyclist" because they were checking out your body in lycra...

In another thread we were discussing misconceptions about the difficulty
of cycling and cycle commuting. I think a lot of people have these
misconceptions. They are stuck in traffic, they look out and see you fly
past, and it annoys them. They don't think, "Hey, I could be doing
that!" They don't even consider it a possibility. Instead they think,
"Smug *******, thinks he/she's so cool, fscking grrr..." and get angry
at the cyclist. They don't realise that they should be (or maybe already
are) angry at themselves.

I reckon that's how it happens because I know that, when I've fscked up
my planning and therefore driven to uni (as it will be the quickest
option later in the day, etc), I see the cyclists fly by and it pisses
me off. But I am a cyclist, so I easily identify that I'm angry at
myself for driving my fscking car when I could've been better organised
and having a great time on my bike like those other cyclists. But if I
wasn't a cyclist, it would just be anger at seeing cyclists - and
therefore anger directed at them.

Then you arrive in a different area... like Canungra on Good Friday...
all the car drivers and motorbikers looked at Steven and I with open
admiration. They were impressed that we'd clearly ridden a long way and
up some bloody big hills. They didn't feel aggressive towards us at
all... maybe because they had chosen their way to go, and were enjoying
themselves doing it, and therefore were not jealous.

Tam

Tamyka Bell wrote:

> In another thread we were discussing misconceptions about the difficulty
> of cycling and cycle commuting. I think a lot of people have these
> misconceptions. They are stuck in traffic, they look out and see you fly
> past, and it annoys them. They don't think, "Hey, I could be doing
> that!" They don't even consider it a possibility. Instead they think,
> "Smug *******, thinks he/she's so cool, fscking grrr..."

It's true though. I *am* a smug *******, and I think I'm pretty cool!
*especially* when riding past a bunch of lamers stuck in cars in a
traffic jam!

Who else is with me on that? :)

> and get angry
> at the cyclist. They don't realise that they should be (or maybe already
> are) angry at themselves.
>
> I reckon that's how it happens because I know that, when I've fscked up
> my planning and therefore driven to uni (as it will be the quickest
> option later in the day, etc), I see the cyclists fly by and it pisses
> me off. But I am a cyclist, so I easily identify that I'm angry at
> myself for driving my fscking car when I could've been better organised
> and having a great time on my bike like those other cyclists. But if I
> wasn't a cyclist, it would just be anger at seeing cyclists - and
> therefore anger directed at them.

Same thing for me today, I had to do a server reboot this morning, got
stuck on soem details, have to be home by 6 to drive friends to Bonnie
Doon for the night (Extreme Boys Night!) and ended up on the motorbike.
That *sucks* (my bad planning ...). Wasting petrol, cursing ...

I think its down to the subvertying of the power of the phallic symbol
that they have spent stacks of money on!!

They realise that having it between your legs is more powerful than
sitting in it..

PiledHigher said:
They realise that having it between your legs is more powerful than
sitting in it..

Ooooo, there's a quote in the making. ;)

Tamyka Bell said:
I like my theory better: motorists are jealous.

so do I :D

my addendum would be...

We live in a 'ME' society.
Get out of my way.
I AM important.
Look at my Plasma TV. It's BIG!
Look at My mock-Neo-Georgian house. It's BIG.
I am important. Get out of my way.
5 seconds WILL make all the difference.
Speed counts. The ads say so. They validate me and my attitide.
I equate the success of a 'night out' with how much i drink/consume.

The freedom, low cost, healthiness, and effectiveness of cycling goes against all these mantra's 'modern' (wo/)man has been trained to cling to.

Tamyka Bell said:
Then you arrive in a different area... like Canungra on Good Friday... all the car drivers and motorbikers looked at Steven and I with open admiration. They were impressed that we'd clearly ridden a long way and
up some bloody big hills. They didn't feel aggressive towards us at all... maybe because they had chosen their way to go, and were enjoying themselves doing it, and therefore were not jealous.
I hate to break it to you but they were probably just too stoned to care. I went to school with a lot of Canungra freaks.

Personally, I put it down to traffic - the more traffic - or traffic lights, the more motorists get p!ssed off with cyclists.

Lotte

Bleve wrote:

> Tamyka Bell wrote:
>
> > In another thread we were discussing misconceptions about the difficulty
> > of cycling and cycle commuting. I think a lot of people have these
> > misconceptions. They are stuck in traffic, they look out and see you fly
> > past, and it annoys them. They don't think, "Hey, I could be doing
> > that!" They don't even consider it a possibility. Instead they think,
> > "Smug *******, thinks he/she's so cool, fscking grrr..."

> It's true though. I *am* a smug *******, and I think I'm pretty cool!
> *especially* when riding past a bunch of lamers stuck in cars in a
> traffic jam!
>
> Who else is with me on that? :)

*puts hand up*

Tam

PiledHigher wrote:

> I think its down to the subvertying of the power of the phallic symbol
> that they have spent stacks of money on!!
>
> They realise that having it between your legs is more powerful than
> sitting in it..

Amen to that ;-)

Tam

LotteBum wrote:

> Tamyka Bell Wrote:
> > Then you arrive in a different area... like Canungra on Good Friday...
> > all the car drivers and motorbikers looked at Steven and I with open
> > admiration. They were impressed that we'd clearly ridden a long way and
> > up some bloody big hills. They didn't feel aggressive towards us at
> > all... maybe because they had chosen their way to go, and were enjoying
> > themselves doing it, and therefore were not jealous.

> I hate to break it to you but they were probably just too stoned to
> care. I went to school with a lot of Canungra freaks.

<snip>
I don't think they were Canungra freaks. They were all tourists.
Tam

Tamyka Bell said:
I don't think they were Canungra freaks. They were all tourists.
Perhaps a lot of them were. Canungra locals still weird me out.

I still maintain that it has more to do with less traffic lights. I used to ride out that way every day and I didn't have the issues with drivers we tend to get in the city. People on their way to work or church are far worse - notice how bad Sundays can be for riding in Brisbane?

Lotte

LotteBum wrote:

> Tamyka Bell Wrote:
> > I don't think they were Canungra freaks. They were all tourists.

> Perhaps a lot of them were. Canungra locals still weird me out.
>
> I still maintain that it has more to do with less traffic lights. I
> used to ride out that way every day and I didn't have the issues with
> drivers we tend to get in the city. People on their way to work or
> church are far worse - notice how bad Sundays can be for riding in
> Brisbane?

I can't remember the last time I rode on a Sunday! Sunday is Run Day ;-)
But I'll find out this weekend I suppose, when I ride to the race.