Front blinkies cost too much? Add too much weight?

dgk

Guest
It's still dark when I ride over the 59th Street bridge into
Manhattan, and I notice that some of the "serious" cyclists coming the
other way don't believe in front blinkies. I sort of see a blur coming
the other way and then it resolves into a bike as it enters my light
beam.

What the hell is wrong with these guys? It can't be the cost, the
bikes are obviously expensive and the clothes are also. I guess it
must be the few grams that it would add.

On Nov 1, 7:31 am, dgk <[email protected]> wrote:
> It's still dark when I ride over the 59th Street bridge into
> Manhattan, and I notice that some of the "serious" cyclists coming the
> other way don't believe in front blinkies. I sort of see a blur coming
> the other way and then it resolves into a bike as it enters my light
> beam.
>
> What the hell is wrong with these guys? It can't be the cost, the
> bikes are obviously expensive and the clothes are also. I guess it
> must be the few grams that it would add.

Poke an axe handle into their spokes as they pass by, while yelling,
"PROBING, PROBING!!".

On Nov 1, 1:31 pm, dgk <[email protected]> wrote:
> It's still dark when I ride over the 59th Street bridge into
> Manhattan, and I notice that some of the "serious" cyclists coming the
> other way don't believe in front blinkies. I sort of see a blur coming
> the other way and then it resolves into a bike as it enters my light
> beam.
>
> What the hell is wrong with these guys? It can't be the cost, the
> bikes are obviously expensive and the clothes are also. I guess it
> must be the few grams that it would add.

They are vain, and haven't found a suitable fashion-approved light.

Joseph

[email protected] wrote:
> On Nov 1, 1:31 pm, dgk <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>It's still dark when I ride over the 59th Street bridge into
>>Manhattan, and I notice that some of the "serious" cyclists coming the
>>other way don't believe in front blinkies. I sort of see a blur coming
>>the other way and then it resolves into a bike as it enters my light
>>beam.
>>
>>What the hell is wrong with these guys? It can't be the cost, the
>>bikes are obviously expensive and the clothes are also. I guess it
>>must be the few grams that it would add.

> They are vain, and haven't found a suitable fashion-approved light.
>
> Joseph

Or they believe that mandatory blinkie lighting laws lead to reduced
cycling.

"dgk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It's still dark when I ride over the 59th Street bridge into
> Manhattan, and I notice that some of the "serious" cyclists coming the
> other way don't believe in front blinkies. I sort of see a blur coming
> the other way and then it resolves into a bike as it enters my light
> beam.
>
> What the hell is wrong with these guys? It can't be the cost, the
> bikes are obviously expensive and the clothes are also. I guess it
> must be the few grams that it would add.

I think it's "cool factor". They don't think that lights are cool.

On Nov 1, 7:31 am, dgk <[email protected]> wrote:
> It's still dark when I ride over the 59th Street bridge into
> Manhattan, and I notice that some of the "serious" cyclists coming the
> other way don't believe in front blinkies.

It's the assumption that they can see hazards in front of them. One
car taking a left turn *over* them should be enough to change that
attitude.

I got my 3 LED headlight mounted under the front platform rack on the
utility bike, which gets raves from hipsters here in neighborhood--I
might become a trend setter! "Dude, you're soooo visible!"

catzz66 wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>> On Nov 1, 1:31 pm, dgk <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> It's still dark when I ride over the 59th Street bridge into
>>> Manhattan, and I notice that some of the "serious" cyclists coming
>>> the other way don't believe in front blinkies. I sort of see a blur
>>> coming the other way and then it resolves into a bike as it enters
>>> my light beam.
>>>
>>> What the hell is wrong with these guys? It can't be the cost, the
>>> bikes are obviously expensive and the clothes are also. I guess it
>>> must be the few grams that it would add.

>> They are vain, and haven't found a suitable fashion-approved light.
>>
>> Joseph
>>

> Or they believe that mandatory blinkie lighting laws lead to reduced
> cycling.

LOL

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 18:18:07 -0400, "Gooserider"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"dgk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> It's still dark when I ride over the 59th Street bridge into
>> Manhattan, and I notice that some of the "serious" cyclists coming the
>> other way don't believe in front blinkies. I sort of see a blur coming
>> the other way and then it resolves into a bike as it enters my light
>> beam.
>>
>> What the hell is wrong with these guys? It can't be the cost, the
>> bikes are obviously expensive and the clothes are also. I guess it
>> must be the few grams that it would add.

>I think it's "cool factor". They don't think that lights are cool.

Oh, that is SO wrong. I look forward to the dark so I can ride with my
lights blazing! I even head out earlier than I have to so I can ride
when it's really dark. The novelty will wear off in a few days though
so DLS will happily move the dark part of my commute to the trip home.

"dgk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It's still dark when I ride over the 59th Street bridge into
> Manhattan, and I notice that some of the "serious" cyclists coming the
> other way don't believe in front blinkies. I sort of see a blur coming
> the other way and then it resolves into a bike as it enters my light
> beam.
>
> What the hell is wrong with these guys? It can't be the cost, the
> bikes are obviously expensive and the clothes are also. I guess it
> must be the few grams that it would add.

I don't ride with a front blinkie. Then again, I don't ride an expensive
bike on a commute and I don't have any expensive clothes.

"dgk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It's still dark when I ride over the 59th Street bridge into
> Manhattan, and I notice that some of the "serious" cyclists coming the
> other way don't believe in front blinkies. I sort of see a blur coming
> the other way and then it resolves into a bike as it enters my light
> beam.
>
> What the hell is wrong with these guys? It can't be the cost, the
> bikes are obviously expensive and the clothes are also. I guess it
> must be the few grams that it would add.

Some people need to wreck in the dark before they appreciate how important
head/tail lights are.

It is also a function of age. Older riders tend to avoid risk, especially
when it is cheap and easy to do so. Younger riders think wrecks happen only
to other people.

It also has to do with the cost of really good headlights, which are not
cheap. We all know that cheap headlights only help cars see the rider. They
do not light up the road for the rider.

Young inexperienced riders don't fully appreciate how invisible they are to
others, in the dark.

J.

"Jay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "dgk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> It's still dark when I ride over the 59th Street bridge into
>> Manhattan, and I notice that some of the "serious" cyclists coming the
>> other way don't believe in front blinkies. I sort of see a blur coming
>> the other way and then it resolves into a bike as it enters my light
>> beam.
>>
>> What the hell is wrong with these guys? It can't be the cost, the
>> bikes are obviously expensive and the clothes are also. I guess it
>> must be the few grams that it would add.

> Some people need to wreck in the dark before they appreciate how important
> head/tail lights are.
>
> It is also a function of age. Older riders tend to avoid risk, especially
> when it is cheap and easy to do so. Younger riders think wrecks happen
> only to other people.
>
> It also has to do with the cost of really good headlights, which are not
> cheap. We all know that cheap headlights only help cars see the rider.
> They do not light up the road for the rider.
>
> Young inexperienced riders don't fully appreciate how invisible they are
> to others, in the dark.
>
> J.

But I've seen yuppies on Madones in full team kit riding with no lights. Not
young kids, but middle-aged professionals. I know if they can spend bucks on
OCLV they can buy a lights. They all get the same catalogs I do---and
Performance/Nashbar are constantly pimping lights. No, I think the reason
they don't run lights is because they think lights are cool or necessary. I
agree with dgk----I look forward to riding at night with my lighting. The
reaction I get from the DiNotte 600L/200L/taillight combo is amazing.

On 2007-11-02, Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ® <[email protected]> wrote:

> I don't ride with a front blinkie. Then again, I don't ride an expensive
> bike on a commute and I don't have any expensive clothes.

I don't either. I use a Soubitez generator and halogen headlight,
mounted on a 40 year old Italian club racer. :)

--

John ([email protected])

In article <[email protected]>,
dgk <[email protected]> writes:
> It's still dark when I ride over the 59th Street bridge into
> Manhattan, and I notice that some of the "serious" cyclists coming the
> other way don't believe in front blinkies. I sort of see a blur coming
> the other way and then it resolves into a bike as it enters my light
> beam.
>
> What the hell is wrong with these guys?

I think many riders alternate between a cyclist mindset
and a pedestrian mindset, depending on which is the
easiest and most convenient. Pedestrians don't need
to wear active lighting at night. Pedestrians are
permitted to use crosswalks. Pedestrians don't have
to stop at stop signs. I guess there's a lot of
cylidestrians out there.

To a certain degree I'm guilty of that mindset swing,
myself. But like yourself and everybody else here
on r.b.m I distinguish riding from walking or driving,
and tend to ride responsibly, if not always lawfully.
Responsibly enough to not unduly endanger myself or
infringe on others, anyway.

I think by "serious" cyclists, I know to whom you
refer -- those grim-faced folks in the black-&-yellow
killer bee getups, who simply must be the fastest thing
on the street/road/trail/MUP/parking lot/garden path.
For "serious", those guyz know ****-all about riding.
Personally, I don't have enough time or officiousness
to attempt to [attempt to] edify 'em, or give 'em free
blinkie handouts. AFAIC they're on their own.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if many of 'em weren't
so much serious cyclists, but rather serious fitness phreeks
to whom a bicycle is merely exercise equipment that isn't
bolted down to a gym floor. So, there's a third mindset
at play: "I'm not a part of the general traffic flow either
as a vehicle operator or a pedestrian; I'm just having a
workout on my mobile exercise equipment." Couple that with
a diminuitive attitude about bicycles as vehicles to be
operated responsibly, and there ya go.

But I gotta ask: have you ever collided with, or had a
near miss with an unlit rider at night? I know I haven't
so far (knock on wood.)

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from
I'm really at:

On Nov 3, 3:47 am, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> dgk <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > It's still dark when I ride over the 59th Street bridge into
> > Manhattan, and I notice that some of the "serious" cyclists coming the
> > other way don't believe in front blinkies. I sort of see a blur coming
> > the other way and then it resolves into a bike as it enters my light
> > beam.

> > What the hell is wrong with these guys?

> I think many riders alternate between a cyclist mindset
> and a pedestrian mindset, depending on which is the
> easiest and most convenient.

********! I like to pretend I'm a badger when the sun sets!

On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 00:47:50 -0800, [email protected] (Tom Keats)
wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> dgk <[email protected]> writes:
>> It's still dark when I ride over the 59th Street bridge into
>> Manhattan, and I notice that some of the "serious" cyclists coming the
>> other way don't believe in front blinkies. I sort of see a blur coming
>> the other way and then it resolves into a bike as it enters my light
>> beam.
>>
>> What the hell is wrong with these guys?

>I think many riders alternate between a cyclist mindset
>and a pedestrian mindset, depending on which is the
>easiest and most convenient. Pedestrians don't need
>to wear active lighting at night. Pedestrians are
>permitted to use crosswalks. Pedestrians don't have
>to stop at stop signs. I guess there's a lot of
>cylidestrians out there.
>
>To a certain degree I'm guilty of that mindset swing,
>myself. But like yourself and everybody else here
>on r.b.m I distinguish riding from walking or driving,
>and tend to ride responsibly, if not always lawfully.
>Responsibly enough to not unduly endanger myself or
>infringe on others, anyway.
>
>I think by "serious" cyclists, I know to whom you
>refer -- those grim-faced folks in the black-&-yellow
>killer bee getups, who simply must be the fastest thing
>on the street/road/trail/MUP/parking lot/garden path.
>For "serious", those guyz know ****-all about riding.
>Personally, I don't have enough time or officiousness
>to attempt to [attempt to] edify 'em, or give 'em free
>blinkie handouts. AFAIC they're on their own.
>
>Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if many of 'em weren't
>so much serious cyclists, but rather serious fitness phreeks
>to whom a bicycle is merely exercise equipment that isn't
>bolted down to a gym floor. So, there's a third mindset
>at play: "I'm not a part of the general traffic flow either
>as a vehicle operator or a pedestrian; I'm just having a
>workout on my mobile exercise equipment." Couple that with
>a diminuitive attitude about bicycles as vehicles to be
>operated responsibly, and there ya go.
>
>But I gotta ask: have you ever collided with, or had a
>near miss with an unlit rider at night? I know I haven't
>so far (knock on wood.)
>

>cheers,
> Tom

I love it, I'm a cylidestrian! I knew I was something but just didn't
know what it was.

Nope, I haven't collided with one yet. Probably because I have a
pretty strong front beam and they can at least see me. We'll need to
get two folks without lights going opposite ways on the bridge.

dgk said:
It's still dark when I ride over the 59th Street bridge into
Manhattan, and I notice that some of the "serious" cyclists coming the
other way don't believe in front blinkies. I sort of see a blur coming
the other way and then it resolves into a bike as it enters my light
beam.

What the hell is wrong with these guys? It can't be the cost, the
bikes are obviously expensive and the clothes are also. I guess it
must be the few grams that it would add.

There might be a streak of independence and egoism mixed in there. They have visibility enough to handle THEIR situation, and they simply fail to realize that their presence actually can have an impact on others.

I see the same thing happening with bells. On my favourite inline route I regularly get overtaken by roadies, and they all act as if they're utterly convinced that the best way to effect a passage is to keep me completely unaware of their approach.
Given my average speed at about 10 MPH their approach rate is quite high. Even if I try to be alert they have every chance of not being noticed until they're pretty much alongsides.
When I'm skating I need quite a bit of sideways clearance, which either isn't apparent to the roadies, or is something they feel it is within their right to deny me. The result is that one of them actually clipped my skate with his bike as he passed by and numerous close calls - which is risky, scary and entirely unneccessary.
I'd be happy to pull my legs in and coast for the brief moment needed for them to pass, giving us all a safer journey. But unless I know they're there there's nothing I can do.
I take some comfort though in the thought that in the event of a mutual crash they are likely to be the ones with the most extensive damage, both to themselves and to their gear.