Front brake installation problem

NativeTexan

Jun 25, 2006
I am in the process of putting the components on my bike.. I have Super Record brakes. When I put the front brake on the fork, and tighten it up, the headset doesn't turn freely or all the way from side to side?

What the hey is this all about?

NativeTexan said:
I am in the process of putting the components on my bike.. I have Super Record brakes. When I put the front brake on the fork, and tighten it up, the headset doesn't turn freely or all the way from side to side?

I can't imagine what would cause that, unless the bolt has distorted the fork's steerer tube, at the bottom head set. If your fork turns freely, without the front brake, that would be the only explanation I can think of. If that is the case, I wouldn't ride that fork, no matter who said yhey could fix it.

NativeTexan said:

Did you fix this problem?

The solution is a small spacer washer between the brake and the fork crown. I figured it out when riding my old steel Trek that has a old style sidepull brake on it. There is a thin spacer that keeps the brake from interfering with the lower headset race. Use a toothed washer as well, if needed to keep the brake from pivoting on the center bolt.