Front brake options

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Mads Hilberg, Apr 17, 2003.

  1. Mads Hilberg

    Mads Hilberg Guest

    After a near miss yesterday* I feel once again I need to consider how to improve the braking power
    on my SWB. I currently have a caliper brake for which I have purchased very good brake blocks, but
    it's not really enough it seems. The problem is that my forks don't have mounts for V-brakes, disc
    brakes or drum brakes. The fork is for 451 wheels and is of a rather peculiar size in that there
    height from the bottom of the headset to the top of the wheel is very very short. I managed to find
    a caliper adaptor for magura hydraulic brakes, but the brake pads where below the rim due to this
    short distance. Also finding a new caliper brake that is better than the current one is going to be
    rather difficult due to the short distance from caliper mounting hole to the rim and the fact that
    the cable must attach from the bottom up to avoid getting in the way of my leg.

    The manufacturer of the bike does sell a fork with v-brake mounts, but there are various reasons why
    I would prefer not to purchase that particular fork.

    I believe one can get a simple adaptor to mount a hub brake on any fork - does something similar
    also exist for disc brakes? If so, where can I get one?

    Also, while a hub brake takes up a lot of space and would mean I'd have to get all new spokes, isn't
    the hub for a disk brake the same size as a normal hub?

    Any other ideas or recommendations?

    Mads

    *) Going 45km/h down a hill on the cycle path. A car pulls into a petrol station in front of me.
    When the driver spots me he chooses to stop right in front if me instead of just continuing into the
    petrol station and out of my way - deer in the headlights type thing. I jam on the brakes and stop
    less than a foot from the side of his car - it seemed to take forever to stop although of course it
    was pretty quick.

    Tags:

  2. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > After a near miss yesterday* I feel once again I need to consider how to improve the braking power
    > on my SWB. I currently have a caliper brake for which I have purchased very good brake blocks, but
    > it's not really enough it seems. The problem is that my forks don't have mounts for V-brakes, disc
    > brakes or drum brakes. The fork is for 451 wheels

    It is possible to add the V-brake bosses to the fork that you own and use V-Brakes. If you are not
    skilled at brazing, perhaps you can find someone that is. A local bike builder perhaps?

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  3. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    I don't believe that a disk brake should be adapted to just any fork willy-nilly. The braking moment
    is constant along the fork's length and the force becomes significant as the axle is approached (the
    length component of the moment becomes short).

    My front wheel is slightly dished to accommodate the disk.

    "Mads Hilberg" <[email protected]> wrote in part in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I believe one can get a simple adaptor to mount a hub brake on any fork - does something similar
    > also exist for disc brakes? If so, where can I get one?
    >
    > Also, while a hub brake takes up a lot of space and would mean I'd have to get all new spokes,
    > isn't the hub for a disk brake the same size as a
    normal
    > hub?
    >
    > Any other ideas or recommendations?
    >

    > Mads

  4. Mads Hilberg

    Mads Hilberg Guest

    > It is possible to add the V-brake bosses to the fork that you own and use
    V-Brakes. If you are
    > not skilled at brazing, perhaps you can find someone that is. A local bike
    builder perhaps?

    Sounds like a simple solution - I'll try the local LBS after Easter.

    Mads

  5. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

    Mads, I wouldn't recommend adding canti posts to your fork. Linear-pull brakes aren't any more
    powerful than dual-pivot calipers, and anyway it's easier to buy a new fork if you're going that
    route. How about the dual-pivot caliper brake that Bacchetta uses on their Corsa, Strada, and Aero?
    Contact them via http://www.x-eyed.com/ and maybe they can help out.

  6. Mads Hilberg

    Mads Hilberg Guest

    Hi

    > I wouldn't recommend adding canti posts to your fork. Linear-pull brakes aren't any more powerful
    > than dual-pivot calipers, and anyway it's easier to buy a new fork if you're going that route.

    How about hydraulic rim brakes? Surely they are better than dual-pivot calipers. I currently have a
    Magura HS33 on the rear wheel, which I'm very happy with.

    Mads

  7. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

    Mads Hilberg wrote:
    > Hi
    >

    >>I wouldn't recommend adding canti posts to your fork. Linear-pull brakes aren't any more powerful
    >>than dual-pivot calipers, and anyway it's easier to buy a new fork if you're going that route.
    >

    > How about hydraulic rim brakes? Surely they are better than dual-pivot calipers. I currently have
    > a Magura HS33 on the rear wheel, which I'm very happy with.

    Hydraulic brakes *may* be better, I don't know. Adding a Magura to the front would at least give you
    matching brakes front and rear. But if you do it, I'd still recommend getting a new fork. A new fork
    will have to be painted. An old fork will have to be welded *and* painted.

  8. "Mads Hilberg" skrev...
    > Hi
    >
    > > I wouldn't recommend adding canti posts to your fork. Linear-pull brakes aren't any more
    > > powerful than dual-pivot calipers, and anyway it's easier to buy a new fork if you're going that
    > > route.
    >
    > How about hydraulic rim brakes? Surely they are better than dual-pivot calipers. I currently have
    > a Magura HS33 on the rear wheel, which I'm very happy with.

    Drumbrake. :) Sure you might have to get new spokes but at 1-2 DKK each its hardly a fortune. The
    "adapter" is a bit of metal you can get in every DIY-shop. And it brakes more or less like a disc
    minus the squeal.

    M.

  9. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Mads Hilberg wrote:

    > After a near miss yesterday* I feel once again I need to consider how to improve the braking power
    > on my SWB. I currently have a caliper brake for which I have purchased very good brake blocks, but
    > it's not really enough it seems....

    Mads,

    Get a concrete masonry unit (CMU) [1] and tie it to your bike with a rope of about 2 meters in
    length. Carry the CMU on the bike until you wish to stop, then throw it overboard. ;)

    [1] Commonly referred to a "concrete block" or "cinder block".

  10. 98gtw

    98gtw Guest

    "Mads Hilberg" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I believe one can get a simple adaptor to mount a hub brake on any fork - does something similar
    > also exist for disc brakes? If so, where can I get one?

    I had a local framebuilder weld a simple tab (1" x 3" x 1/4" steel) onto the back of the left
    fork leg and drilled and shaped it by hand for an international standard disk mount. He did it
    for $25. Disk brake and hub came from e-bay for another $50. Spokes and rim from an online seller
    for $35 or so.

    *** DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME disclaimer*** Was exploring the limits of braking this weekend and
    found I could brake hard enough to lift the rear wheel. This on my SWB. Didn't care to try it at
    high speed. But I'm satisfied that I've got significantly more braking power than I had with the
    rim brakes.

    --
    Dave 98GTW [email protected] (remove nospam to reply directly) Presto, Presto II, Screamer