Front Brake Pads not stopping on Rocket

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Sprawling, Oct 23, 2003.

  1. Sprawling

    Sprawling Guest

    I have the stock Alexrims/Daig rims on my 2002 Rans Rocket. I'm real tall at 5'4" so the seat is
    closer up. I changed the stock brakes (sram 7.0) with Avid Arch Rivals. I did a search on this
    group and all I came up with is how everyone has squealing problems. Mine does not squeal, just
    that the front brakes do not stop unless you use a lot of pressure on the lever. The back wheel
    requires little pressure and skids out. I have cleaned and degreased the rims. Immediately after
    they work great--then after several stops they return to not stopping. I have adjusted the pads in
    all different fashions, toe in, toe out, level, and even swapped with the old pads and still have
    the same results. The pads on the Avids say Kool Stop, the rear says Dina. I have swapped the front
    and the rear and nothing changes. Yes, I have lubed the cable, housing and all the usual stuff.
    What next?

    Sprawling--Utah

    Rans Rocket 2002 EZ-1

    Tags:

  2. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (Sprawling) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have the stock Alexrims/Daig rims on my 2002 Rans Rocket. I'm real tall at 5'4" so the seat is
    > closer up. I changed the stock brakes (sram 7.0) with Avid Arch Rivals.

    Did you swap just the brake *caliper* or the caliper and brake lever? The Avid levers have
    adjustable leverage (the little knob pointing away from the clamp). It might be turned all the way
    to the minimum leverage, maximum travel position (which is correct for the Arch Rivals). Try turning
    up the leverage.

    Also- what did you use to degrease the rims? I've had poor results after degreasing with Simple
    Green- I had to reclean with rubbing alcohol to get good grip.

    If all else fails, replace the pads with Kool-Stop "salmon" color pads... not black, not red,
    but the high-friction salmon color. They're my choice and the choice of bike messengers here in
    rainy Portland.

    Jeff

  3. Hello: get yourself some aztec ultra v-brake pads you will not regret it. they sell for about 13.00
    a pair. Thank you Earl GRR,RANS V2 Ti Rush,Ti Pursuit

  4. Ben Fox

    Ben Fox Guest

    It sounds like the seat is too far forward because you are a little too short for a Rocket. I say
    this because i tried one out a few years ago and thought I was too close to the steering mast for
    comfort,and I'm 5'7". Being too far forward puts most of your weight on the front wheel,this is why
    the rear wheel locks up so easily and the front won't. Not too many brakes will lock up a wheel that
    has enough weight on it,which is the way you want it ,skidding wheels are unsafe. If you are
    comparing the the brakes stopping power by the wheel locking up up not,it's not a brake problem! ben
    fox "Sprawling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have the stock Alexrims/Daig rims on my 2002 Rans Rocket. I'm real tall at 5'4" so the seat is
    > closer up. I changed the stock brakes (sram 7.0) with Avid Arch Rivals. I did a search on this
    > group and all I came up with is how everyone has squealing problems. Mine does not squeal, just
    > that the front brakes do not stop unless you use a lot of pressure on the lever. The back wheel
    > requires little pressure and skids out. I have cleaned and degreased the rims. Immediately after
    > they work great--then after several stops they return to not stopping. I have adjusted the pads in
    > all different fashions, toe in, toe out, level, and even swapped with the old pads and still have
    > the same results. The pads on the Avids say Kool Stop, the rear says Dina. I have swapped the
    > front and the rear and nothing changes. Yes, I have lubed the cable, housing and all the usual
    > stuff. What next?
    >
    > Sprawling--Utah
    >
    > Rans Rocket 2002 EZ-1

  5. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (Jeff Wills) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Sprawling) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I have the stock Alexrims/Daig rims on my 2002 Rans Rocket. I'm real tall at 5'4" so the seat is
    > > closer up. I changed the stock brakes (sram 7.0) with Avid Arch Rivals.

    Whoops- first thing to check. Make sure the two vertical arms aren't bottoming out against each
    other. This has frustrated me on some V-brake setups where the brake bosses were wide apart and/or
    the rim was narrow. The brake pads come with thick and thin washers to correct this- but I've had
    setups where they weren't enough.

    Jeff

  6. Sprawling

    Sprawling Guest

    Well I think I solved the problem. Sanding the rims with 50 grit aluminum oxide cloth did wonders.
    So far the bike appears to stop like a normal bike. Now if omly I was able to grow a little to have
    normal weight distribution so the rear wheel does not slide out. Thanks to all for the few
    suggestions.

    Sprawling

    Rans Rocket 2002 EZ-1