Front brake wires block light

erod707

Nov 7, 2013
Can I adjust the front brake wires. When I'm riding at night and have my light on it blocks some of the light. Thanks

I had the same problem but I could still get enough light to ride.

I had a crash the day before and my light mounts got broken... No lights - No problem!
big-smile.png

(Maybe you can mount the light underneath the handlebar if the optics of your unit dont have the correct focus only when over the handlebar, or maybe you can mount it on the headtube or on the stem)

You can move the Garmin and its mount to the bars and then mount the light to the stem. Another option would be to buy a mount like this one at Excel Sports. A number of companies make similar mounts. A third option (my favorite) would be to mount your light on your helmet.

Reactions: erod707
Thank you! I will experiment with the different options you guys suggested. I'll let you know in the morning when I come up with the best configuration.

First. The cables which are interferring with your light are your derailleur cables ... You CAN move them out of the way ...
  • I don't know how much it will affect your bike's shifting without actually having your bike in front of me ...
Regardless, it might be better to replace the existing housing with longer pieces which will allow the housing to loop out of the way OR you may be able to simply replace the existing housing with BRAKE CABLE HOUSING of the same length which should droop & may end up being below the light's beam. If you opt for longer "derailleur" cable housing, then you may only need to buy ONE replacement derailleur cable ...
  • you can probably just replace the rear derailleur's cable with a new cable and use your existing rear derailleur's cable for the front put the old front derailleur cable in your tool box.
Check YouTube or www.parktool.com to see how to replace your derailleur cables. OR, take the bike to your LBS & explain what you would like them to do (i.e., move the derailleur cables out of the path of your light's beam). Of course, an extravagant alternative is to buy a newer pair of Shimano shifters whose brake & derailleur cables are "hidden" beneath the handlebar tape.

Originally Posted by erod707

Didn't work. :/
"With the lights out is less dangerous"
big-smile.png
(Btw the light is still "over" the handlebar and not "under" it. Nor it is on the stem or headtube... Or on the fork?)

0.jpg