Front changer for triple chainset

David Jones

Guest
On my road bike, I'm using a Campag veloce front changer with a Stronglight 46-36-26 chainset and
having trouble changing to the small fron ring. It either throws the chain off or does not properly
engage with the chainwheel teeth. The front changer is designed to work with a bigger set of rings.
Does anyone have any experience of using a shimano MTB changer with such a set-up or have any other
advice to give. ( I do find that the shimano top-swing changer on my 44-32-22 MTB works very
reliably.) Thanks David Jones

David Jones wrote:
> On my road bike, I'm using a Campag veloce front changer with a Stronglight 46-36-26 chainset and
> having trouble changing to the small fron ring. It either throws the chain off or does not
> properly engage with the chainwheel teeth. The front changer is designed to work with a bigger set
> of rings. Does anyone have any experience of using a shimano MTB changer with such a set-up or
> have any other advice to give. ( I do find that the shimano top-swing changer on my 44-32-22 MTB
> works very reliably.)

1. Campag shifters work with ALL front derailleurs so you can try anything. You might find an MTB
one does the job better.

2. Grind a bit off the Veloce's cage to allow it to go lower.

3. Persevere with existing derailleur, setting it as low as possible, experimenting with angle and
cable adjustment. If derailleur body hits seat tube with a different setup, file a bit off to
allow it to move futher in. (Might seem like that's the last thing you'd want it to do with your
current problem but things might be different with different cage angle).

~PB

On 19 Mar 2003 05:15:43 -0800, David Jones <[email protected]> wrote:

> On my road bike, I'm using a Campag veloce front changer with a Stronglight 46-36-26 chainset and
> having trouble changing to the small fron ring. It either throws the chain off or does not
> properly engage with the chainwheel teeth. The front changer is designed to work with a bigger set
> of rings. Does anyone have any experience of using a shimano MTB changer with such a set-up or
> have any other advice to give. ( I do find that the shimano top-swing changer on my 44-32-22 MTB
> works very reliably.) Thanks David Jones

David,

I used to have real trouble with my extra-small chainring and it was cured by the NGear Jumpstop. I
had to order one from America (it was back when we were on speaking terms :eek:), and it means that
your chain can't fall off the bottom end. Therefore, you can set your mech so that it throws the
chain right over and be sure that it'll fall on the chainring's teeth OK.

Ian

--
Ian Walker Remove the yummy paste in my address to reply. Homepage: http://www.drianwalker.com

Pete, Ian Thanks for your helpful comments; will show them to my bike this weekend unless it's fine
in which case I'll be out riding it. David