Front changer for triple chainset

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by David Jones, Mar 19, 2003.

  1. David Jones

    David Jones Guest

    On my road bike, I'm using a Campag veloce front changer with a Stronglight 46-36-26 chainset and
    having trouble changing to the small fron ring. It either throws the chain off or does not properly
    engage with the chainwheel teeth. The front changer is designed to work with a bigger set of rings.
    Does anyone have any experience of using a shimano MTB changer with such a set-up or have any other
    advice to give. ( I do find that the shimano top-swing changer on my 44-32-22 MTB works very
    reliably.) Thanks David Jones

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    David Jones wrote:
    > On my road bike, I'm using a Campag veloce front changer with a Stronglight 46-36-26 chainset and
    > having trouble changing to the small fron ring. It either throws the chain off or does not
    > properly engage with the chainwheel teeth. The front changer is designed to work with a bigger set
    > of rings. Does anyone have any experience of using a shimano MTB changer with such a set-up or
    > have any other advice to give. ( I do find that the shimano top-swing changer on my 44-32-22 MTB
    > works very reliably.)

    1. Campag shifters work with ALL front derailleurs so you can try anything. You might find an MTB
    one does the job better.

    2. Grind a bit off the Veloce's cage to allow it to go lower.

    3. Persevere with existing derailleur, setting it as low as possible, experimenting with angle and
    cable adjustment. If derailleur body hits seat tube with a different setup, file a bit off to
    allow it to move futher in. (Might seem like that's the last thing you'd want it to do with your
    current problem but things might be different with different cage angle).

    ~PB

  3. Ian Walker

    Ian Walker Guest

    On 19 Mar 2003 05:15:43 -0800, David Jones <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On my road bike, I'm using a Campag veloce front changer with a Stronglight 46-36-26 chainset and
    > having trouble changing to the small fron ring. It either throws the chain off or does not
    > properly engage with the chainwheel teeth. The front changer is designed to work with a bigger set
    > of rings. Does anyone have any experience of using a shimano MTB changer with such a set-up or
    > have any other advice to give. ( I do find that the shimano top-swing changer on my 44-32-22 MTB
    > works very reliably.) Thanks David Jones

    David,

    I used to have real trouble with my extra-small chainring and it was cured by the NGear Jumpstop. I
    had to order one from America (it was back when we were on speaking terms :eek:), and it means that
    your chain can't fall off the bottom end. Therefore, you can set your mech so that it throws the
    chain right over and be sure that it'll fall on the chainring's teeth OK.

    Ian

    --
    Ian Walker Remove the yummy paste in my address to reply. Homepage: http://www.drianwalker.com

  4. David Jones

    David Jones Guest

    Pete, Ian Thanks for your helpful comments; will show them to my bike this weekend unless it's fine
    in which case I'll be out riding it. David