Front der won't shift to small chainring

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Trevor, Apr 22, 2003.

  1. Trevor

    Trevor Guest

    Hi all, Got on the bike for the first time in ages on Sunday, but going up the hill form my house, I
    tried to shift to the small chain ring, but the derailleur wouldn't go. I tried putting some slack
    in on the shifter, but there was plenty.

    I stopped and used a screwdriver to reset the stopper screw on the derailleur, but it was fine. I
    even tried both!!

    The derailleur just won't go far enough. I just cannot see what is wrong. The derailleur has not
    moved, nor has it been dinged in storage.

    Any ideas anyone?

    TIA Trevor

    Tags:

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Trevor wrote:
    > Hi all, Got on the bike for the first time in ages on Sunday, but going up the hill form my house,
    > I tried to shift to the small chain ring, but the derailleur wouldn't go. I tried putting some
    > slack in on the shifter, but there was plenty.
    >
    > I stopped and used a screwdriver to reset the stopper screw on the derailleur, but it was fine. I
    > even tried both!!
    >
    > The derailleur just won't go far enough. I just cannot see what is wrong. The derailleur has not
    > moved, nor has it been dinged in storage.
    >
    > Any ideas anyone?

    Pivots on the der have seized and need loosening / oiling. Right crank is coming loose. You need to
    reset the cable at the der.

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/repair/index.html

    --

  4. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 15:38:51 +0200, "Trevor" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The derailleur just won't go far enough. I just cannot see what is wrong. The derailleur has not
    >moved, nor has it been dinged in storage.
    >
    >Any ideas anyone?

    ROFLMAO... Any ideas? HA HA HA!

    :-]