Front der won't shift to small chainring

Trevor

Guest
Hi all, Got on the bike for the first time in ages on Sunday, but going up the hill form my house, I
tried to shift to the small chain ring, but the derailleur wouldn't go. I tried putting some slack
in on the shifter, but there was plenty.

I stopped and used a screwdriver to reset the stopper screw on the derailleur, but it was fine. I
even tried both!!

The derailleur just won't go far enough. I just cannot see what is wrong. The derailleur has not
moved, nor has it been dinged in storage.

Any ideas anyone?

TIA Trevor

Trevor wrote:
> Hi all, Got on the bike for the first time in ages on Sunday, but going up the hill form my house,
> I tried to shift to the small chain ring, but the derailleur wouldn't go. I tried putting some
> slack in on the shifter, but there was plenty.
>
> I stopped and used a screwdriver to reset the stopper screw on the derailleur, but it was fine. I
> even tried both!!
>
> The derailleur just won't go far enough. I just cannot see what is wrong. The derailleur has not
> moved, nor has it been dinged in storage.
>
> Any ideas anyone?

Pivots on the der have seized and need loosening / oiling. Right crank is coming loose. You need to
reset the cable at the der.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/repair/index.html

--

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 15:38:51 +0200, "Trevor" <[email protected]> wrote:

>The derailleur just won't go far enough. I just cannot see what is wrong. The derailleur has not
>moved, nor has it been dinged in storage.
>
>Any ideas anyone?

ROFLMAO... Any ideas? HA HA HA!

:-]