Front derailer/chainring question...

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Matt O'Toole, Mar 27, 2003.

  1. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    I'm having trouble with my front derailer, an XT unit that's been steadily wearing out. It's gotten
    to the point where it takes too much fiddling, and hesitates pulling the chain off the big
    chainring. I need to replace it, but...

    -I'd like to find a better unit, if possible. This will be my third XT. POS, IMO.

    -I'd like to be able to use a 44T or even 46T big chainring, in concert with my current 22-32 setup.
    Currently I have trouble getting anything but the original stock Shimano LX 42T ring to work at all.
    This seems to be a lateral spacing issue with my LX crank.

    Any ideas?

    Matt O.

    Tags:

  2. Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> wrote:
    > -I'd like to be able to use a 44T or even 46T big chainring, in concert with my current 22-32
    > setup. Currently I have trouble getting anything but the original stock Shimano LX 42T ring to
    > work at all. This seems to be a lateral spacing issue with my LX crank.

    Bottom swing, i.e. high clamp, i.e. traditional, current LX and XT derailleurs are rated to work
    with bigger chainrings than 42, while the top swing models aren't. The cage shapes are different.
    Look at shimano-europe.com for details. I think the topswing LX is an FD-M570 and bottom swing an
    FD-M571. Not sure about the 46-32 shift - I use a 46-36-26, some random derailleur, and thumbies.

  3. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Benjamin Weiner" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > -I'd like to be able to use a 44T or even 46T big
    chainring,
    > > in concert with my current 22-32 setup. Currently I
    have
    > > trouble getting anything but the original stock Shimano
    LX
    > > 42T ring to work at all. This seems to be a lateral
    spacing
    > > issue with my LX crank.
    >
    > Bottom swing, i.e. high clamp, i.e. traditional, current
    LX and XT
    > derailleurs are rated to work with bigger chainrings than
    42,
    > while the top swing models aren't. The cage shapes are
    different.
    > Look at shimano-europe.com for details. I think the
    topswing LX
    > is an FD-M570 and bottom swing an FD-M571. Not sure about
    the
    > 46-32 shift - I use a 46-36-26, some random derailleur,
    and thumbies.

    I'll check it out. Thanks!

    Matt O.