Front derailer/chainring question...

Matt O'Toole

Guest
I'm having trouble with my front derailer, an XT unit that's been steadily wearing out. It's gotten
to the point where it takes too much fiddling, and hesitates pulling the chain off the big
chainring. I need to replace it, but...

-I'd like to find a better unit, if possible. This will be my third XT. POS, IMO.

-I'd like to be able to use a 44T or even 46T big chainring, in concert with my current 22-32 setup.
Currently I have trouble getting anything but the original stock Shimano LX 42T ring to work at all.
This seems to be a lateral spacing issue with my LX crank.

Any ideas?

Matt O.

Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> wrote:
> -I'd like to be able to use a 44T or even 46T big chainring, in concert with my current 22-32
> setup. Currently I have trouble getting anything but the original stock Shimano LX 42T ring to
> work at all. This seems to be a lateral spacing issue with my LX crank.

Bottom swing, i.e. high clamp, i.e. traditional, current LX and XT derailleurs are rated to work
with bigger chainrings than 42, while the top swing models aren't. The cage shapes are different.
Look at shimano-europe.com for details. I think the topswing LX is an FD-M570 and bottom swing an
FD-M571. Not sure about the 46-32 shift - I use a 46-36-26, some random derailleur, and thumbies.

"Benjamin Weiner" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> wrote:

> > -I'd like to be able to use a 44T or even 46T big
chainring,
> > in concert with my current 22-32 setup. Currently I
have
> > trouble getting anything but the original stock Shimano
LX
> > 42T ring to work at all. This seems to be a lateral
spacing
> > issue with my LX crank.
>
> Bottom swing, i.e. high clamp, i.e. traditional, current
LX and XT
> derailleurs are rated to work with bigger chainrings than
42,
> while the top swing models aren't. The cage shapes are
different.
> Look at shimano-europe.com for details. I think the
topswing LX
> is an FD-M570 and bottom swing an FD-M571. Not sure about
the
> 46-32 shift - I use a 46-36-26, some random derailleur,
and thumbies.

I'll check it out. Thanks!

Matt O.