front derailer upgrade benefits?

Fanglangzhe

New Member
Oct 3, 2004
Hi, I use a Deore front derailer and am not that satisfied as it has a tendency to either refuse to drop down to the smallest wheel (especially when already climbing) or when adjusted, it will drop off completely. I have read elsewhere that this is a common complaint for Deore FD. Will upgrading to XT or XTR make a big difference?

Fanglangzhe wrote:
> Hi, I use a Deore front derailer and am not that satisfied as it has a
> tendency to either refuse to drop down to the smallest wheel
> (especially when already climbing) or when adjusted, it will drop off
> completely. I have read elsewhere that this is a common complaint for
> Deore FD. Will upgrading to XT or XTR make a big difference?

One alternative is a Jump Stop so you don't have to worry about the
chain coming off. See http://www.gvtc.com/~ngear/index.html I just
bought one and it works beautifully.

Pam

Fanglangzhe <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi, I use a Deore front derailer and am not that satisfied as it has a
> tendency to either refuse to drop down to the smallest wheel
> (especially when already climbing)

This is usually a bad idea anyway. Shifting under load is hard on
components. Frankly the Deore might actually be able to withstand it more
than some lightweight XTR bit. Sounds like a combination of poor technique
and poor adjustment might be at play here.

> or when adjusted, it will drop off
> completely. I have read elsewhere that this is a common complaint for
> Deore FD.

If the chain "drops off completely" then the derailleur isn't adjsted.
Common or not, it sounds like whoever did your adjusting didn't to a very
good job of it. FDs are finicky little bastards. It often takes a bit of
tweaking to make them behave.

>Will upgrading to XT or XTR make a big difference?

Probably not.

Tom

Before you blame the derailleur, you should check to make sure that your
rear triangle is square, and then that the dropouts are parallel, and
then that the derailleur hanger is parallel to the main line of the frame.

--
Bob Wheeler --- http://www.bobwheeler.com/
ECHIP, Inc. ---

I am not sure about whether upgrading will fix this, but I have found
that adjusting the inner screw setting to position the derailleur a
bit further out -- away from the seatpost -- helps reduce chain drop
to the inside in the lowest chainring. The derailleur may rub against
the chain in the low-low combination a little bit.
If you are running non-standard rings, verify that the tooth
differential between the high and the low chainrings is within the
capability of the derailleur.

r.b.