front deraileur adjustment problem clarified, thanks

Zonta

Guest
I have finally clarified the problem with my front deraileur, thanks to
all those who've helped.

I have disassembled everything and gave them a thorough cleaning,
replaced the housing and the wire with new ones, dried them completely,
lightly oiled, reassembled them ---- still sluggish on return! So the
spring is dead now and the whole thing needs replacement. Thanks to all
your replies.

What brand & size & power is your ultrasonic cleaner. Did you use it.
Did it help. The reason I ask is I'm considering getting one for my
self, John

Zonta <[email protected]> wrote in news:080120060529485501%
[email protected]:

> I have finally clarified the problem with my front deraileur, thanks to
> all those who've helped.
>
> I have disassembled everything and gave them a thorough cleaning,
> replaced the housing and the wire with new ones, dried them completely,
> lightly oiled, reassembled them ---- still sluggish on return! So the
> spring is dead now and the whole thing needs replacement. Thanks to all
> your replies.

Better the derailleur than the brifter...glad to hear it, I suppose. Coulda
been worse.

In article <[email protected]>,
john <[email protected]> wrote:

> What brand & size & power is your ultrasonic cleaner. Did you use it.
> Did it help. The reason I ask is I'm considering getting one for my
> self, John

Mine is a Branson 80watt, I used it with just soap water and it cleaned
the deraileur assembly really well, but I wouldn't recommend it because
mine is very small, only 5 inches, not too many applications for bike
parts. You may want to get one with a bigger size tank, their power
grows with the tank size and there's not much to worry about the power
as long as you get the right size for your job, because it is the
liquid that it is driving, not the parts you put into it, unless the
size of the part you are going to clean displaces the liquid to the
point that it is not possible to get the liquid to vibrate in
resonance.

Zonta, thanks for the reply.
I lost track of this thread. Sorry for the late response.
A couple more questions, if I may?
Wouldn't a 7" diagonal measurement be adequate for the largest thing I
would consider doing from a bicycle, a hub?
Besides Branson (I first used one of their flaw detectors almost 40yrs
ago)
What other brands are in that size range, w/ good bang for the buck?
Thank You, John