front deraileur adjustment problem clarified, thanks

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Zonta, Jan 8, 2006.

  1. Zonta

    Zonta Guest

    I have finally clarified the problem with my front deraileur, thanks to
    all those who've helped.

    I have disassembled everything and gave them a thorough cleaning,
    replaced the housing and the wire with new ones, dried them completely,
    lightly oiled, reassembled them ---- still sluggish on return! So the
    spring is dead now and the whole thing needs replacement. Thanks to all
    your replies.

    Tags:

  2. john

    john Guest

    What brand & size & power is your ultrasonic cleaner. Did you use it.
    Did it help. The reason I ask is I'm considering getting one for my
    self, John

  3. Hank Wirtz

    Hank Wirtz Guest

    Zonta <[email protected]> wrote in news:080120060529485501%
    [email protected]:

    > I have finally clarified the problem with my front deraileur, thanks to
    > all those who've helped.
    >
    > I have disassembled everything and gave them a thorough cleaning,
    > replaced the housing and the wire with new ones, dried them completely,
    > lightly oiled, reassembled them ---- still sluggish on return! So the
    > spring is dead now and the whole thing needs replacement. Thanks to all
    > your replies.

    Better the derailleur than the brifter...glad to hear it, I suppose. Coulda
    been worse.

  4. Zonta

    Zonta Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    john <[email protected]> wrote:

    > What brand & size & power is your ultrasonic cleaner. Did you use it.
    > Did it help. The reason I ask is I'm considering getting one for my
    > self, John

    Mine is a Branson 80watt, I used it with just soap water and it cleaned
    the deraileur assembly really well, but I wouldn't recommend it because
    mine is very small, only 5 inches, not too many applications for bike
    parts. You may want to get one with a bigger size tank, their power
    grows with the tank size and there's not much to worry about the power
    as long as you get the right size for your job, because it is the
    liquid that it is driving, not the parts you put into it, unless the
    size of the part you are going to clean displaces the liquid to the
    point that it is not possible to get the liquid to vibrate in
    resonance.

  5. john

    john Guest

    Zonta, thanks for the reply.
    I lost track of this thread. Sorry for the late response.
    A couple more questions, if I may?
    Wouldn't a 7" diagonal measurement be adequate for the largest thing I
    would consider doing from a bicycle, a hub?
    Besides Branson (I first used one of their flaw detectors almost 40yrs
    ago)
    What other brands are in that size range, w/ good bang for the buck?
    Thank You, John