Front deraileur question

Leo Lichtman

Guest
I have just added another chainring to my Dahon folding bike, so I have 12
speeds. In order to shift, I stop, reach down, and do it by hand, which is
not too bad, since I don't have to do it very often. But I would eventually
like to add a deraileur. Is there one available that is operated by a lever
on the der itself, so I could just reach down with my right hand and do the
shift?

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 02:04:21 GMT, "Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I have just added another chainring to my Dahon folding bike, so I have 12
>speeds. In order to shift, I stop, reach down, and do it by hand, which is
>not too bad, since I don't have to do it very often. But I would eventually
>like to add a deraileur. Is there one available that is operated by a lever
>on the der itself, so I could just reach down with my right hand and do the
>shift?

Learn to downshift with your heel and upshift by hand while rolling?

Sorry, don't have a real answer for you.

Ron

Leo Lichtman wrote:
> I have just added another chainring to my Dahon folding bike, so I have 12
> speeds. In order to shift, I stop, reach down, and do it by hand, which is
> not too bad, since I don't have to do it very often. But I would eventually
> like to add a deraileur. Is there one available that is operated by a lever
> on the der itself, so I could just reach down with my right hand and do the
> shift?

This is how some of the first front derailleurs were operated, as seen
on this Hercules:
http://rydjor.com/bikecollection/1954her.htm

You may be able to salvage one off an ancient Schwinn Varsity (they
were built this way in the early '60's), but cognoscenti will vilify
you for destroying such a rare and valuable bike.

I say go for it.

Jeff

"JeffWills" wrote: (clip) You may be able to salvage one off an ancient
Schwinn Varsity (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I would have to find one first, which seems like a long shot. I don't think
I could bring myself to strip one off a usable bike. But, after seeing the
excellent closeup in your link, I think I could make one. Thanks.

"RonSonic" wrote: Learn to downshift with your heel
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I've been told that is possible, but I can't figure out how I'm going to
pedal with my left foot with platform pedals. (The Dahon uses folding
pedals that I don't want to change.)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
and upshift by hand while rolling?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I know I'm not coordinated enough to do that.

Leo Lichtman wrote:
> I have just added another chainring to my Dahon folding bike, so I
> have 12 speeds. In order to shift, I stop, reach down, and do it by
> hand, which is not too bad, since I don't have to do it very often. But I
> would eventually like to add a deraileur. Is there one
> available that is operated by a lever on the der itself, so I could
> just reach down with my right hand and do the shift?

Popsicle stick?

Leo Lichtman wrote:

> I have just added another chainring to my Dahon folding bike, so I have 12
> speeds. In order to shift, I stop, reach down, and do it by hand, which is
> not too bad, since I don't have to do it very often. But I would eventually
> like to add a deraileur. Is there one available that is operated by a lever
> on the der itself, so I could just reach down with my right hand and do the
> shift?

These used to exist, but have been extinct since the late 1950s. Even
if you found one, it is likely that it wouldn't fit the seat tube of
your Dahon.

However, you could get a "top pull" front derailer and mount a shift
lever on your seat tube. Depending on the diameter of your seat tube
you might need to do a bit of fiddling to mount the shift lever, but
that would be the hardest part of the conversion.

Sheldon "Schlumpf?" Brown
| I give myself sometimes admirable advice, |
| but I am incapable of taking it. |
| --Lady Mary Wortley Montagu |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Sheldon Brown wrote:
> However, you could get a "top pull" front derailer and mount a shift
> lever on your seat tube. Depending on the diameter of your seat tube
> you might need to do a bit of fiddling to mount the shift lever, but
> that would be the hardest part of the conversion.

http://www.bikespecialties.com/marip_petite.html Put your mouse
pointer over the seat cluster on this picture and it will show a small
picture of a downtube shift lever which engages a bottom bracket
generator. This may be similar to what Mr. Brown is referring to.

Leo Lichtman wrote:
> I have just added another chainring to my Dahon folding bike, so I have 12
> speeds. In order to shift, I stop, reach down, and do it by hand, which is
> not too bad, since I don't have to do it very often. But I would eventually
> like to add a deraileur. Is there one available that is operated by a lever
> on the der itself, so I could just reach down with my right hand and do the
> shift?

They were once common but now not 'production'. See a copy
of the Japanese 'New Cycling' magazine for both vintage and
modern lever-action front changers. Can't be all that
difficult to fabricate, given the number which appear in
that magazine.

Or find 'The Data Book' for good ideas to copy.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Salad tongs. I use them myself.

Hang from bar end if you're going to be shifting a lot, or
weave through a brake cable if not.

--
Ron Hardin
[email protected]