Front Deraileur Type

Justin Collins

Guest
Hi, Im about to buy a new xc hard tail. I was wondering what type of front changer to get, top
swing, bottom swing or e type ive kinda ruled out e type.

what ever I pick will be xtr

Justin

Justin Collins [email protected]

In article <MN%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> Hi, Im about to buy a new xc hard tail. I was wondering what type of front changer to get, top
> swing, bottom swing or e type ive kinda ruled out e type.
>
> what ever I pick will be xtr
>
> Justin

> Justin Collins [email protected]

Perhaps i'm just ignorant to all the types, but bottom swing? and just what is e type?

or are you speaking of the shifter levers? i still don't know what e type is, but i use a rapid-fire
type that has one on the top and bottom (one up-shifts, the other down-shifts).

~Travis
--
travis57 at megalink dot net

travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronic, Owner/Founder/Developer

"Justin Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:MN%[email protected]...
| Hi, Im about to buy a new xc hard tail. I was wondering what type of front changer to get, top
| swing, bottom swing or e type ive kinda ruled out e type.
|
| what ever I pick will be xtr

If you are running smaller chainrings (46 and lower - generally 44) then the top swing will work
fine. The XTR version has a differential plate that makes upshifting easier. If you run 46 and up on
the outer ring, I think the more traditional bottom swing is great.

I'd only use an e-type on a frame that requires it.

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 4/24/2003

e type attaches at the bottom bracket

Justin Collins [email protected]

> In article <MN%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> > Hi, Im about to buy a new xc hard tail. I was wondering what type of front changer to get, top
> > swing, bottom swing or e type ive kinda ruled out e type.
> >
> > what ever I pick will be xtr
> >
> > Justin
> >
> > --
> >
> > --
> > Justin Collins [email protected]
> >

> Perhaps i'm just ignorant to all the types, but bottom swing? and just what is e type?
>
> or are you speaking of the shifter levers? i still don't know what e type is, but i use a
> rapid-fire type that has one on the top and bottom (one up-shifts, the other down-shifts).
>
> ~Travis
> --
> travis57 at megalink dot net
>
> travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronic, Owner/Founder/Developer
> (current project: Automotive exhaust flame-thrower)

"Justin Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:MN%[email protected]...
> Hi, Im about to buy a new xc hard tail. I was wondering what type of front changer to get, top
> swing, bottom swing or e type ive kinda ruled out e type.
>
> what ever I pick will be xtr
>
> Justin

Do you have an XTR or non-compact drive crankset picked out? The XTR only works well with these. If
you are getting compact drive get an XT.

Mike

"Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Justin Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:MN%[email protected]...
> | Hi, Im about to buy a new xc hard tail. I was wondering what type of front changer to get, top
> | swing, bottom swing or e type ive kinda ruled out e type.
> |
> | what ever I pick will be xtr
>
> If you are running smaller chainrings (46 and lower - generally 44) then the top swing will work
> fine. The XTR version has a differential plate that makes upshifting easier. If you run 46 and up
> on the outer ring, I think the more traditional bottom swing is great.
>
> I'd only use an e-type on a frame that requires it.
>

> ---
> __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
> http://intergalax.com

> - Release Date: 4/24/2003

Shimano top swing mechs are a really flimsy, rattly design. If you can use the conventional design
on your bike then I would say that is the obvious choice rather than the botched compromise designed
for the limited space on full sus bikes. Pat.

"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote

| Shimano top swing mechs are a really flimsy, rattly design. If you can use
the
| conventional design on your bike then I would say that is the obvious
choice
| rather than the botched compromise designed for the limited space on full
sus
| bikes.

That is true of most of the line, with the exception of the XTR, which he mentioned he was planning
to use. The multiple geometry plate design of the XTR unit makes it a superior derailleur.

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 4/24/2003

"Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> | Shimano top swing mechs are a really flimsy, rattly design. If you can use
> the
> | conventional design on your bike then I would say that is the obvious
> choice
> | rather than the botched compromise designed for the limited space on full
> sus
> | bikes.
>
> That is true of most of the line, with the exception of the XTR, which he mentioned he was
> planning to use. The multiple geometry plate design of the XTR unit makes it a superior
> derailleur.
>

> ---
> __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
> http://intergalax.com

> - Release Date: 4/24/2003

Nelson. I was interested by your reply as I am forced to use the top swing variety. I looked a bit
further and seem to get these results: The "new M960" XTR top swing has stronger "pivots" (I presume
these are the pivots which keep breaking on my XT mechs) but has no longer got the "old"
differential plate XTR design. The "old" XTR top swing design has the differential plates but there
is no mention of stronger pivots. Have I got this right? The conventional M961 would, I am
guessing!, be strongest of all but does it have the differential plates? The plot is thicker than I
realised! Pat.