Front Deraileur Type

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Justin Collins, Apr 27, 2003.

  1. Hi, Im about to buy a new xc hard tail. I was wondering what type of front changer to get, top
    swing, bottom swing or e type ive kinda ruled out e type.

    what ever I pick will be xtr

    Justin

    Justin Collins [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Technician

    Technician Guest

    In article <MN%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Hi, Im about to buy a new xc hard tail. I was wondering what type of front changer to get, top
    > swing, bottom swing or e type ive kinda ruled out e type.
    >
    > what ever I pick will be xtr
    >
    > Justin

    > Justin Collins [email protected]

    Perhaps i'm just ignorant to all the types, but bottom swing? and just what is e type?

    or are you speaking of the shifter levers? i still don't know what e type is, but i use a rapid-fire
    type that has one on the top and bottom (one up-shifts, the other down-shifts).

    ~Travis
    --
    travis57 at megalink dot net

    travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronic, Owner/Founder/Developer

  3. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "Justin Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:MN%[email protected]...
    | Hi, Im about to buy a new xc hard tail. I was wondering what type of front changer to get, top
    | swing, bottom swing or e type ive kinda ruled out e type.
    |
    | what ever I pick will be xtr

    If you are running smaller chainrings (46 and lower - generally 44) then the top swing will work
    fine. The XTR version has a differential plate that makes upshifting easier. If you run 46 and up on
    the outer ring, I think the more traditional bottom swing is great.

    I'd only use an e-type on a frame that requires it.

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 4/24/2003

  4. e type attaches at the bottom bracket

    Justin Collins [email protected]

    > In article <MN%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > > Hi, Im about to buy a new xc hard tail. I was wondering what type of front changer to get, top
    > > swing, bottom swing or e type ive kinda ruled out e type.
    > >
    > > what ever I pick will be xtr
    > >
    > > Justin
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > --
    > > Justin Collins [email protected]
    > >

    > Perhaps i'm just ignorant to all the types, but bottom swing? and just what is e type?
    >
    > or are you speaking of the shifter levers? i still don't know what e type is, but i use a
    > rapid-fire type that has one on the top and bottom (one up-shifts, the other down-shifts).
    >
    > ~Travis
    > --
    > travis57 at megalink dot net
    >
    > travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronic, Owner/Founder/Developer
    > (current project: Automotive exhaust flame-thrower)

  5. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Justin Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:MN%[email protected]...
    > Hi, Im about to buy a new xc hard tail. I was wondering what type of front changer to get, top
    > swing, bottom swing or e type ive kinda ruled out e type.
    >
    > what ever I pick will be xtr
    >
    > Justin

    Do you have an XTR or non-compact drive crankset picked out? The XTR only works well with these. If
    you are getting compact drive get an XT.

    Mike

  6. Pat

    Pat Guest

    "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Justin Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:MN%[email protected]...
    > | Hi, Im about to buy a new xc hard tail. I was wondering what type of front changer to get, top
    > | swing, bottom swing or e type ive kinda ruled out e type.
    > |
    > | what ever I pick will be xtr
    >
    > If you are running smaller chainrings (46 and lower - generally 44) then the top swing will work
    > fine. The XTR version has a differential plate that makes upshifting easier. If you run 46 and up
    > on the outer ring, I think the more traditional bottom swing is great.
    >
    > I'd only use an e-type on a frame that requires it.
    >

    > ---
    > __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
    > http://intergalax.com

    > - Release Date: 4/24/2003

    Shimano top swing mechs are a really flimsy, rattly design. If you can use the conventional design
    on your bike then I would say that is the obvious choice rather than the botched compromise designed
    for the limited space on full sus bikes. Pat.

  7. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote

    | Shimano top swing mechs are a really flimsy, rattly design. If you can use
    the
    | conventional design on your bike then I would say that is the obvious
    choice
    | rather than the botched compromise designed for the limited space on full
    sus
    | bikes.

    That is true of most of the line, with the exception of the XTR, which he mentioned he was planning
    to use. The multiple geometry plate design of the XTR unit makes it a superior derailleur.

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 4/24/2003

  8. Pat

    Pat Guest

    "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    > | Shimano top swing mechs are a really flimsy, rattly design. If you can use
    > the
    > | conventional design on your bike then I would say that is the obvious
    > choice
    > | rather than the botched compromise designed for the limited space on full
    > sus
    > | bikes.
    >
    > That is true of most of the line, with the exception of the XTR, which he mentioned he was
    > planning to use. The multiple geometry plate design of the XTR unit makes it a superior
    > derailleur.
    >

    > ---
    > __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
    > http://intergalax.com

    > - Release Date: 4/24/2003

    Nelson. I was interested by your reply as I am forced to use the top swing variety. I looked a bit
    further and seem to get these results: The "new M960" XTR top swing has stronger "pivots" (I presume
    these are the pivots which keep breaking on my XT mechs) but has no longer got the "old"
    differential plate XTR design. The "old" XTR top swing design has the differential plates but there
    is no mention of stronger pivots. Have I got this right? The conventional M961 would, I am
    guessing!, be strongest of all but does it have the differential plates? The plot is thicker than I
    realised! Pat.