Front derailler semi-shift

Caden

Jun 30, 2006
I have a 105 front derailler and Ultegra everything else with a triple. I only *just* discovered what I assume is a "feature" - a semi-shift point that allows me to be in the middle chainring and be either left-biased or right-biased as far as which side of the chainring the cage sits. So, if I'm in a small cog in back, I wanna be toward the right on the chainring obviously.

The problem is that I haven't been able to make this work really reliably. It jumps down to the granny gear about as often as it lets me semi-click down. Does that make sense? Is there a skill involved that I just need to practice?

Sounds like it just needs to be dialed in a bit. I didn't know that 105 could do that. Ultegra and Dura-Ace can do it on double and triple chain rings.

ToffoIsMe said:
Sounds like it just needs to be dialed in a bit. I didn't know that 105 could do that. Ultegra and Dura-Ace can do it on double and triple chain rings.
His shifter is Ultegra.

artemidorus said:
His shifter is Ultegra.
That's correct. The front derailler itself is 105 but my shifters are Ultegra. The problem may just be in my technique and that's why I was asking - I figured if it was common to have issues nudging the semi-shift point just right, folks here would know (of course, I suppose most folks here don't ride with a triple - Hey, it's hilly here...)

Caden said:
That's correct. The front derailler itself is 105 but my shifters are Ultegra. The problem may just be in my technique and that's why I was asking - I figured if it was common to have issues nudging the semi-shift point just right, folks here would know (of course, I suppose most folks here don't ride with a triple - Hey, it's hilly here...)
I never got this working on Ultegra, ended too often with a full shift.
Campy was the solution for me.

I have Ultegra brifters and Tiagra front derailluer and double chainring.

I, too, have found a middle click that guides the chain between the two rings. But All I do is shift the entire double click to by-pass the phantom middle position.