Front Derailleur adjustment screws...

Aussie Steve

Nov 8, 2005
Shimano 105 front derailleur, the two small grub screws that you use for adjustment...mine are totally seized.
Cannot budge them. Bike shop tried, could not move them.
I even tried leaving a drop of lube on top of each screw overnight, but think about it...how can any liquid seep down past the head? A normal drink bottle laying in the fridge on its side, doesn't leak....

Can anybody offer any suggestions...don't want to pay for new Derailleur ($75 australian)

Take the FD off the bike and try some CRC from the other side. If that fails, drill the screws out and re-tap new threads. I have a 5mm tap.

hey gclark- thanks for the tip! yesterday I took the FD off the bike...because it's the kind that's mounted on a brazed-on fitting on the seat tube, was real real easy for a numb-skull like me...one minute with a 5 mm allen key and she's off...
you know how aluminium and steel, "weld" together (or at least steel expands differently to Aluminium) I am pretty sure the FD body is Al, and the grub screws are stainless? could this be the reason they're stuck?
What drill bit should I use to drill out the grub screws...

I would not say without seeing it. Depends on which side is best to drill from, this is delicate work. I have the Stainless Steel bolt shop just a short walk over the line from me. :)

Now that youve taken it off, why dont you try soaking it kero overnight or something. Fill up a container with kero and dunk in there.

Does anyone think that would help?

I will buy a new FD in case I bugger up the job. I reckon I could mount the FD in a vice (with 2 pieces of wood to avoid scratching the assembly) and the drilling shouldn't be too hard, it is a phillips head, so the drill bit will sit right in the centre and shouldn't travel :eek: ...
I will be very careful !!!!

Mineral hydraulic oil is good it has flat molecules. Have soaked out aircraft wing attachment bolts with this, they've been in longer with more vibration and stress.
Aussie Steve said:
I will buy a new FD in case I bugger up the job. I reckon I could mount the FD in a vice (with 2 pieces of wood to avoid scratching the assembly) and the drilling shouldn't be too hard, it is a phillips head, so the drill bit will sit right in the centre and shouldn't travel :eek: ...
I will be very careful !!!!

wooliferkins said:
Mineral hydraulic oil is good it has flat molecules. Have soaked out aircraft wing attachment bolts with this, they've been in longer with more vibration and stress.
I would agree, find a Citroen owner and beg a few ml of LHM. :D

Aussie Steve said:
Shimano 105 front derailleur, the two small grub screws that you use for adjustment...mine are totally seized.
Cannot budge them. Bike shop tried, could not move them.
I even tried leaving a drop of lube on top of each screw overnight, but think about it...how can any liquid seep down past the head? A normal drink bottle laying in the fridge on its side, doesn't leak....

Can anybody offer any suggestions...don't want to pay for new Derailleur ($75 australian)
I had a couple of front derailleurs which were neglected and whose adjusting screws were ALSO unmovable ...

Penetrating oil and/or WD-40 (a penetrating oil, of sorts) AND a lot of patience (waiting ... just waiting & re-trying), and you may be able to salvage the front derailleur (or, other components in the future).