front Derailleur and levers questions

A.J.T.73

Oct 24, 2007
I have a sora front derailleur and i want to upgrade to a Tiagra one. My problem is here, i have 24 gears, 3 front, 8 rear and the only triple Tiagra says its for 9 rear, will this work with my 8 gears?
Also, do i have to have levers that say 8 gears or can i use ones that say 9 or 10?
thanks

A.J.T.73 said:
I have a sora front derailleur and i want to upgrade to a Tiagra one. My problem is here, i have 24 gears, 3 front, 8 rear and the only triple Tiagra says its for 9 rear, will this work with my 8 gears?
Also, do i have to have levers that say 8 gears or can i use ones that say 9 or 10?
thanks
The Tiagra front derailleur will work fine but, unless your present front derailleur is broken, I wouldn't expect much, if any, improvement.

Retro Grouch said:
The Tiagra front derailleur will work fine but, unless your present front derailleur is broken, I wouldn't expect much, if any, improvement.
+1. The FD has to be the least rewarding upgrade, apart from hub ball bearings.

I know it wont make all that much difference but its only £13 and it looks so much better, what about the levers?
thanks

Your Sora left shifter will work with the Tiagra FD. Obviously, you need a Tiagra triple FD.
To be honest, given that a 9spd chain FD has a narrower cage than a 6/7/8spd FD (which is what you have), you may find that your shifting becomes worse and you might need to pay more attention to FD trim. I wouldn't do it.