Front derailleur barrel adjustment

lol168

Feb 8, 2013
Hi all, Appreciate for any advise re front barrel adjustors: After watching some YouTube I finally went ahead lowered the front derailleur to: (a) Close the big gap between the cage/ chainring; (b) minimize the chain rubbing issue. During this process I found out that the front barrel adjustor won't work at all. It can't be turned at all. I tried totally loosen the cable, and re- tighten everything,... adjust the cable housing.... Nothing works ..... My shifting is fine right for now, so my question is : (1) Should I bother to go to my LBS to ask them to fix this issue? Unless this is something that is very critical down the road, I don't really want to bother to go back to my LBS. (2) I'm just very curious how would one fix it if it needs to be done in the end? Can the barrel be removed without damaging the frame??... I mean I don't see any mechanism there that would allow one to remove it and replace a new one... like...... the v-brake.... or other parts of the bike .... (if you understand what I'm talking about? ) Thanks a lot in advance! p's. My bike is 2013 Trek Lexa SLX C

A 2013 is still under warranty. The adjusting barrel should be functional and your dealer can replace it if you can not. Someone may have simply run it to full stop to tightly and/or the frame boss may be seized or cross-threaded or stripped. It should be inspected.

Originally Posted by lol168 .

During this process I found out that the front barrel adjustor won't work at all. It can't be turned at all. I tried totally loosen the cable, and re- tighten everything,... adjust the cable housing.... Nothing works .....

My shifting is fine right for now, so my question is :

(1) Should I bother to go to my LBS to ask them to fix this issue? Unless this is something that is very critical down the road, I don't really want to bother to go back to my LBS.
(2) I'm just very curious how would one fix it if it needs to be done in the end? Can the barrel be removed without damaging the frame??... I mean I don't see any mechanism there that would allow one to remove it and replace a new one... like...... the v-brake.... or other parts of the bike .... (if you understand what I'm talking about? )
Since the barrel adjuster is threaded, try putting a drop of 3-in-1 oil OR an equivalent oil OR a slightly lighter oil (e.g., sewing machine oil) on the threads ... seep the oil at the junction of the adjuster & the frame if the adjuster is threaded all the way in ...

• wipe off any excess oil ...

Wait 24 hours ...

Test. Repeat as necessary.

If the adjuster is still seized after 72 hours, then you can-or-should consider bringing it into your LBS.

Thanks guys! I just bought the 3-in-One oil from Home Depot and applied some... Will wait and see.

Thanks alfeng, after I use the 3-in-1 oil, I can turn the barre adjustor! You've saved me lots of time and driving!

Glad the oil worked. You might want to use it once or twice a season to ensure the threads don't seize again. As to whether the adjuster is important, I'd say no. My frame didn't come with them at all, and I've never missed them. There really is no reason to fiddle with the tension adjustments on the front, and the RD already has it's own barrel nut adjuster .