front derailleur braze-on adapter question

Bill

Guest
I've got a SRAM Force braze-on front derailleur and I need to install it on
a Look KG461 that requires a 31.8 clamp. Will a Shimano braze-on adapter be
functionally and esthetically satisfactory? Any better options? Or should I
try to trade/swap for a 31.8 Force clamp on.
Bill

On Jan 27, 9:47 am, "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've got a SRAM Force braze-on front derailleur and I need to install it on
> a Look KG461 that requires a 31.8 clamp. Will a Shimano braze-on adapter be
> functionally and esthetically satisfactory? Any better options? Or should I
> try to trade/swap for a 31.8 Force clamp on.
> Bill

use the shimano one, it'll work great.

> On Jan 27, 9:47 am, "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I've got a SRAM Force braze-on front derailleur and I need to install it

on
> > a Look KG461 that requires a 31.8 clamp. Will a Shimano braze-on adapter

be
> > functionally and esthetically satisfactory? Any better options? Or

should I
> > try to trade/swap for a 31.8 Force clamp on.
> > Bill

> use the shimano one, it'll work great.

Done, thanks Peter. That's incredible service. When I checked for new
messages your reply appeared at the same time as my initial post!

On Jan 27, 9:54 am, "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]...
>
> > On Jan 27, 9:47 am, "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > I've got a SRAM Force braze-on front derailleur and I need to install it

> on
> > > a Look KG461 that requires a 31.8 clamp. Will a Shimano braze-on adapter

> be
> > > functionally and esthetically satisfactory? Any better options? Or

> should I
> > > try to trade/swap for a 31.8 Force clamp on.
> > > Bill

> > use the shimano one, it'll work great.Done, thanks Peter. That's incredible service. When I checked for new

> messages your reply appeared at the same time as my initial post!

No problem..leessseeee...93 inches of snow, 5th weekend with
snow....pretty slow at the bike shop with me and my mac.

On Jan 27, 6:47 pm, "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've got a SRAM Force braze-on front derailleur and I need to install it on
> a Look KG461 that requires a 31.8 clamp. Will a Shimano braze-on adapter be
> functionally and esthetically satisfactory? Any better options? Or should I
> try to trade/swap for a 31.8 Force clamp on.
> Bill

IMO, the Shimano clamp thingee looks kind of cheap-o. The polish isn't
very nice. I'd swap if I were you, but riding around with no front der
while I waited.

Joseph

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Jan 27, 9:54 am, "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> on

>> be

>> should I

>> > use the shimano one, it'll work great.Done, thanks Peter. That's incredible service. When I checked for new

>> messages your reply appeared at the same time as my initial post!

>No problem..leessseeee...93 inches of snow, 5th weekend with
>snow....pretty slow at the bike shop with me and my mac.

What, your cross-country skies are broken? ;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

On Jan 27, 11:47 am, "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've got a SRAM Force braze-on front derailleur and I need to install it on
> a Look KG461 that requires a 31.8 clamp. Will a Shimano braze-on adapter be
> functionally and esthetically satisfactory? Any better options? Or should I
> try to trade/swap for a 31.8 Force clamp on.
> Bill

Presuming the Look is black carbon, the clamp on adaptors from
Campagnolo come in a black color. Probably no difference in function
between any of the adaptors but looks are important too. Nashbar
sells front derailleur adaptors for about $3.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Jan 27, 11:47 am, "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I've got a SRAM Force braze-on front derailleur and I need to install it

on
> > a Look KG461 that requires a 31.8 clamp. Will a Shimano braze-on adapter

be
> > functionally and esthetically satisfactory? Any better options? Or

should I
> > try to trade/swap for a 31.8 Force clamp on.
> > Bill

> Presuming the Look is black carbon, the clamp on adaptors from
> Campagnolo come in a black color. Probably no difference in function
> between any of the adaptors but looks are important too. Nashbar
> sells front derailleur adaptors for about $3.

Thanks, the Nashbar one looks nicely finished. for $2.45 I'll give it a
look.
Bill

In article
<[email protected]>,
Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> on
> >> be
> >> should I

> >> messages your reply appeared at the same time as my initial post!

> >No problem..leessseeee...93 inches of snow, 5th weekend with
> >snow....pretty slow at the bike shop with me and my mac.

> What, your cross-country skies are broken? ;-)

See how difficult it is to type two `i's in a row?

--
Michael Press

Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:

>In article
><[email protected]>,
> Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

>> >No problem..leessseeee...93 inches of snow, 5th weekend with
>> >snow....pretty slow at the bike shop with me and my mac.

>> What, your cross-country skies are broken? ;-)

>See how difficult it is to type two `i's in a row?

D'Oh... II (sic) knew that...

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

On Jan 28, 7:33 am, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> on
> >> be
> >> should I

> >> messages your reply appeared at the same time as my initial post!

> >No problem..leessseeee...93 inches of snow, 5th weekend with
> >snow....pretty slow at the bike shop with me and my mac.What, your cross-country skies are broken? ;-)

> Mark Hickey
> Habanero Cycleshttp://www.habcycles.com
> Home of the $795 ti frame

When it's 85 degrees, I'll ski..hate the snow, the cold, not a fan of
CO at the moment...

On Jan 29, 6:33 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>When it's 85 degrees, I'll ski..hate the snow, the cold, not a fan of
> CO at the moment...

Dear Peter,

Myth and lore!

The weather was so nice yesterday that I went for a bicycle ride.

It was so much fun that I may do it again, if the temperature rises
above freezing today.

My guide, Mr. Williams, assures me that he knows the way and that even
if we do get lost, he'll find something to eat.

For some reason, my other guide, Mr. Carson refuses to walk in front
of Mr. Williams at supper time.

Cheers,

J.C. Fremont

> On Jan 29, 6:33 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> When it's 85 degrees, I'll ski..hate the snow, the cold, not a fan of
>> CO at the moment...

[email protected] wrote:> Myth and lore!
> The weather was so nice yesterday that I went for a bicycle ride.
> It was so much fun that I may do it again, if the temperature rises
> above freezing today.
> My guide, Mr. Williams, assures me that he knows the way and that even
> if we do get lost, he'll find something to eat.
> For some reason, my other guide, Mr. Carson refuses to walk in front
> of Mr. Williams at supper time.
> Cheers,
> J.C. Fremont

Does this have something to do with Alferd Packer? A CO in-joke?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 21:00:05 -0600, A Muzi <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> On Jan 29, 6:33 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>> When it's 85 degrees, I'll ski..hate the snow, the cold, not a fan of
>>> CO at the moment...

>[email protected] wrote:> Myth and lore!
>> The weather was so nice yesterday that I went for a bicycle ride.
>> It was so much fun that I may do it again, if the temperature rises
>> above freezing today.
>> My guide, Mr. Williams, assures me that he knows the way and that even
>> if we do get lost, he'll find something to eat.
>> For some reason, my other guide, Mr. Carson refuses to walk in front
>> of Mr. Williams at supper time.
>> Cheers,
>> J.C. Fremont

>Does this have something to do with Alferd Packer? A CO in-joke?

Dear Andrew,

Fremont County is west of Pueblo and hosts not only the state prison,
but Supermax, Colorado's answer to Alcatraz.

James C. Fremont followed the disaster of his court martial (who the
hell _was_ the military governor of California?) with an even more
disastrous fourth expedition, looking for a railroad route through
what is now southern Colorado.

Unlike Fremont's first three expeditions, this one lacked Kit Carson
as a guide. Instead, Bill Williams led 36 (or 33 men) and 120 mules
off through the gap in the Wet Mountains visible from my window, over
the Sangre de Cristos, across the San Luis Valley, and into the San
Juan mountains, where Williams went up the wrong pass.

Fremont wrote that Williams "proved never to have in the least known,
or entirely to have forgotten, the whole region of country through
which we were to pass."

But it probably didn't matter which way Fremont's expedition went,
since a hideous winter set in and there's no damned railroad route
through the San Juan mountains, a sprawling mess of extremely high,
rugged country that later led Alferd Packer to establish the legal
point that Colorado had no law against cannibalism.

(The unfortunate Packer was convicted not of bad table manners, but of
merely killing his dinner guests, having signed two confessions and
escaped from jail, details often overlooked by proud Coloradoans who
argue endlessly about who shot, axed, and ate whom.)

Anyway, most of the mules died one terrible night, and Fremont's party
struggled to stay alive in snow drifts forty feet deep. The kindly
Forest Service offers a hiking guide to the area, where ten-foot-high
stumps still show how deep the snow was where the expedition cut
firewood:

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/resource/us_national_forest/co/see_riog.htm

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1272/is_2700_132/ai_108791284/pg_8

Desperate, Fremont split the expedition into two groups and headed
south for help, leaving the weakest men behind.

By the time that Fremont returned to rescue them, ten (or eleven) of
the men left behind were dead, and cannibalism was not quite as
well-controlled as it is in the Royal Navy, with the guide Bill
Williams being voted most likely to have put aside gourmet prejudices
in favor of survival.

Accounts are muddled, since Fremont's memoirs were most likely written
not by him, but by his wife. The unkind comment that "no man who knew
him ever walked in front of Bill Williams in starving time" is
attributed to Carson, the guide on the first three successful Fremont
expeditions.

Some argue that Fremont headed into awful country in hopes of
salvaging his reputation after the court martial, paid no attention to
anyone's advice, and simply made a scapegoat of Williams.

But Fremont went on to California, leaving the survivors behind in
Taos, and lived to write the history (or to have his wife write it).

Williams had no chance to defend himself--indeed, he never had a
chance to read Fremont's memoirs. Early that spring, Williams headed
back to the scene of the disaster with a partner, possibly to salvage
equipment, and was killed by Utes.

(Nowadays, the advantages of wandering around Colorado in large,
well-armed groups with plenty of mules are forgotten. On an earlier
expedition, Fremont was censured for taking a howitzer along.)

Debate continues about whether Fremont or Williams was responsible for
the disaster and the details of what happened, but it's a cheery story
to keep in mind whenever I pedal out the highway toward Hardscrabble
Creek in late autumn along Fremont's route.

Today, it was almost too cold to ride. Snow and high temperatures
below freezing are predicted for the next week.

Bon appetit!

Carl Fogel

>> [email protected] wrote:> Myth and lore!
>>> The weather was so nice yesterday that I went for a bicycle ride.
>>> It was so much fun that I may do it again, if the temperature rises
>>> above freezing today.
>>> My guide, Mr. Williams, assures me that he knows the way and that even
>>> if we do get lost, he'll find something to eat.
>>> For some reason, my other guide, Mr. Carson refuses to walk in front
>>> of Mr. Williams at supper time.
>>> Cheers,
>>> J.C. Fremont

[email protected] wrote:
> Dear Andrew,
> Fremont County is west of Pueblo and hosts not only the state prison,
> but Supermax, Colorado's answer to Alcatraz.
> James C. Fremont followed the disaster of his court martial (who the
> hell _was_ the military governor of California?) with an even more
> disastrous fourth expedition, looking for a railroad route through
> what is now southern Colorado.
> Unlike Fremont's first three expeditions, this one lacked Kit Carson
> as a guide. Instead, Bill Williams led 36 (or 33 men) and 120 mules
> off through the gap in the Wet Mountains visible from my window, over
> the Sangre de Cristos, across the San Luis Valley, and into the San
> Juan mountains, where Williams went up the wrong pass.

-snip much -
> Debate continues about whether Fremont or Williams was responsible for
> the disaster and the details of what happened, but it's a cheery story
> to keep in mind whenever I pedal out the highway toward Hardscrabble
> Creek in late autumn along Fremont's route.
> Today, it was almost too cold to ride. Snow and high temperatures
> below freezing are predicted for the next week.
> Bon appetit!

Fascinating. WI only has Ed Gein and Jeffrey Dahmer.

It's dishearteningly cold here as well - riding's tough this week,
looking at -5F to about 22F next ten days. . .
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

In article <[email protected]>,

> >> [email protected] wrote:> Myth and lore!

> > A Muzi <[email protected]> should have known better but wrote:
> >> Does this have something to do with Alferd Packer? A CO in-joke?

> [email protected] wrote:
> > Dear Andrew,
> > Fremont County is west of Pueblo and hosts not only the state prison,
> > but Supermax, Colorado's answer to Alcatraz.
> > James C. Fremont followed the disaster of his court martial (who the
> > hell _was_ the military governor of California?) with an even more
> > disastrous fourth expedition, looking for a railroad route through
> > what is now southern Colorado.
> > Unlike Fremont's first three expeditions, this one lacked Kit Carson
> > as a guide. Instead, Bill Williams led 36 (or 33 men) and 120 mules
> > off through the gap in the Wet Mountains visible from my window, over
> > the Sangre de Cristos, across the San Luis Valley, and into the San
> > Juan mountains, where Williams went up the wrong pass.

> -snip much -
> > Debate continues about whether Fremont or Williams was responsible for
> > the disaster and the details of what happened, but it's a cheery story
> > to keep in mind whenever I pedal out the highway toward Hardscrabble
> > Creek in late autumn along Fremont's route.
> > Today, it was almost too cold to ride. Snow and high temperatures
> > below freezing are predicted for the next week.
> > Bon appetit!

> Fascinating. WI only has Ed Gein and Jeffrey Dahmer.

That we know of.
<http://www.wisconsindeathtrip.com/about.html>
<http://www.amazon.com/Wisconsin-Death-Trip-Michael-Lesy/dp/0826321933>