Front derailleur cage width, 8 vs. 9 speed???

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mikeyankee, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. Mikeyankee

    Mikeyankee Guest

    Question for you Shimano gurus out there: Is the cage width the same for 8 and 9 speed [road] front
    derailleurs?

    Pretty soon I'll have to replace an Ultegra front derailleur that's showing play after 21,000 miles
    on an 8-speed bike. Can I just put on a new 9-speed unit, or do I need to scrounge an 8? (If the 9-
    speed cage is narrower I'm concerned it may be hard to set up without getting chain rub on my
    slightly wider 8-speed chain.)

    Thanx!

    Mike Yankee

    (Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)

    Tags:

  2. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    MikeYankee wrote:
    > Question for you Shimano gurus out there: Is the cage width the same for 8 and 9 speed [road]
    > front derailleurs?
    >
    > Pretty soon I'll have to replace an Ultegra front derailleur that's showing play after 21,000
    > miles on an 8-speed bike. Can I just put on a new 9-speed unit, or do I need to scrounge an 8? (If
    > the 9-speed cage is narrower I'm concerned it may be hard to set up without getting chain rub on
    > my slightly wider 8-speed chain.)
    >
    > Thanx!
    >

    > Mike Yankee
    >
    > (Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)

    I don't know the answer to your exact question but I would be very surprised if a 9 speed front mech
    failed to work. I have used 9 speed 105 triple front mech on a (3x)7 speed bike. I have used 7 speed
    front mechs on (2x)6 speed bikes. Neither of these bikes have indexed front changing though so there
    is lashings of trim available to me. You using double or triple ? My Ultegra double seems to have
    plenty of trim.

    --
    The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely. http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

  3. mike-<< Pretty soon I'll have to replace an Ultegra front derailleur that's showing play after
    21,000 miles on an 8-speed bike. Can I just put on a new 9-speed unit, or do I need to scrounge an
    8? >><BR><BR>

    a 9s front der will work fine..

    "qui si parla shimano, also'

  4. MSeries wrote:

    > I don't know the answer to your exact question but I would be very surprised if a 9 speed front
    > mech failed to work. I have used 9 speed 105 triple front mech on a (3x)7 speed bike.

    And I've used 7sp FDs on 9sp bikes!