Front derailleur cage width, 8 vs. 9 speed???

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mikeyankee, Feb 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikeyankee

Mikeyankee Guest

Question for you Shimano gurus out there: Is the cage width the same for 8 and 9 speed [road] front
    derailleurs?

Pretty soon I'll have to replace an Ultegra front derailleur that's showing play after 21,000 miles
    on an 8-speed bike. Can I just put on a new 9-speed unit, or do I need to scrounge an 8? (If the 9-
    speed cage is narrower I'm concerned it may be hard to set up without getting chain rub on my
    slightly wider 8-speed chain.)

Thanx!

Mike Yankee

(Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)

Tags:

2. Mseries

Mseries Guest

MikeYankee wrote:
    > Question for you Shimano gurus out there: Is the cage width the same for 8 and 9 speed [road]
    > front derailleurs?
    >
    > Pretty soon I'll have to replace an Ultegra front derailleur that's showing play after 21,000
    > miles on an 8-speed bike. Can I just put on a new 9-speed unit, or do I need to scrounge an 8? (If
    > the 9-speed cage is narrower I'm concerned it may be hard to set up without getting chain rub on
    > my slightly wider 8-speed chain.)
    >
    > Thanx!
    >
    >
    > Mike Yankee
    >
    > (Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)

I don't know the answer to your exact question but I would be very surprised if a 9 speed front mech
    failed to work. I have used 9 speed 105 triple front mech on a (3x)7 speed bike. I have used 7 speed
    front mechs on (2x)6 speed bikes. Neither of these bikes have indexed front changing though so there
    is lashings of trim available to me. You using double or triple ? My Ultegra double seems to have
    plenty of trim.

--
    The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely. http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

3. mike-<< Pretty soon I'll have to replace an Ultegra front derailleur that's showing play after
    21,000 miles on an 8-speed bike. Can I just put on a new 9-speed unit, or do I need to scrounge an
    8? >><BR><BR>

a 9s front der will work fine..

"qui si parla shimano, also'

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

4. MSeries wrote:

> I don't know the answer to your exact question but I would be very surprised if a 9 speed front
    > mech failed to work. I have used 9 speed 105 triple front mech on a (3x)7 speed bike.

And I've used 7sp FDs on 9sp bikes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.