Front derailleur equivalents

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Goat, Jun 16, 2004.

  1. Goat

    Goat Guest

    My front derailleur is very wobbly and worn out.
    It is a shimano FD-M330 , top pull, for a 31.8mm bracket diameter.
    The gear train is a 24 speed, shimano (avivo) rear derailleur and
    8-speed rear cassette.

    My local bike shops (which I always try and support) have promised to
    order me an equivalent model, but after weeks of waiting, they don't
    seem terribly interested in my money!

    Having looked on the web, I can find various references to it, but
    nowhere can I find anywhere I can buy it online, or any mention of what
    newer version might be equivalent.

    There are many other models which look as if they might do, but I don't
    want to buy on line only to have the fiddle of sending it back if its
    not equivalent. Same problem with ebay

    Any suggestions about:
    1) where I can get an FD-M330 online (UK preferably)
    2) what other available model might be equivalent and at least as good!

    Thanks in advance.
     
    Tags:


  2. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Goat wrote:

    > Thanks in advance.


    Sounds like a pretty standard setup. 31.8mm top pulls are available at any
    branch of H*lfords (Shimano Deore). It doesn't have to be the exact same
    model as the one you already have. Surprised your LBS couldn't get hold of
    anything. Were they actually trying?
     
  3. Goat

    Goat Guest

    In article <[email protected].aaisp.net.uk>, Simonb
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Goat wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks in advance.

    >
    >Sounds like a pretty standard setup. 31.8mm top pulls are available at any
    >branch of H*lfords (Shimano Deore). It doesn't have to be the exact same
    >model as the one you already have. Surprised your LBS couldn't get hold of
    >anything. Were they actually trying?
    >
    >

    I think they're only interested in making money out of fitting the
    thing, and I made it clear that I was going to fit it myself.

    Thanks v much for advice.

    --
    Goat
     
  4. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Goat wrote:
    > My front derailleur is very wobbly and worn out.
    > It is a shimano FD-M330 , top pull, for a 31.8mm bracket diameter.
    > The gear train is a 24 speed, shimano (avivo) rear derailleur and
    > 8-speed rear cassette.
    >
    > My local bike shops (which I always try and support) have promised to
    > order me an equivalent model, but after weeks of waiting, they don't
    > seem terribly interested in my money!
    >
    > Having looked on the web, I can find various references to it, but
    > nowhere can I find anywhere I can buy it online, or any mention of what
    > newer version might be equivalent.
    >
    > There are many other models which look as if they might do, but I don't
    > want to buy on line only to have the fiddle of sending it back if its
    > not equivalent. Same problem with ebay
    >
    > Any suggestions about:
    > 1) where I can get an FD-M330 online (UK preferably)
    > 2) what other available model might be equivalent and at least as good!
    >
    > Thanks in advance.


    Road or MTB. Once you've determined that pretty much any 31.8mm top pull
    Shimano triple derailleur will do the job. You can order on line from someone
    like Chain Reaction (MTB) Wiggle (MTB or Road) or Parkers (Road) or go down
    any bike shop and ask for a 31.8mm shimano triple top pull derailleur and take
    whatever they have in stock (probably not Dura Ace or XTR though on price
    grounds)

    Tony
     
  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Goat wrote:

    > 1) where I can get an FD-M330 online (UK preferably)


    According to Shimano Europe, that's a current Acera front derailleur.

    www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5300004804 have "Acera X". I dunno
    what that is.

    > 2) what other available model might be equivalent and at least as
    > good!


    I would have thought any of the current Shimano MTB models of suitable
    type would be compatible but I'm not an MTB expert.
    Alivio/Deore/LX/XT/XTR are higher up in the range.

    www.chainreactioncycles.com have Deore, LX, XT, XTR

    ~PB
     
  6. Goat

    Goat Guest

    Thanks to all of you for advice.

    Displaying my ignorance, what is "MTB": Mountain Bike?
    Mine a Giant Hybrid X-something or other (a lot more road than
    mountain!)


    --
    Goat
     
  7. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Goat wrote:

    > what is "MTB": Mountain Bike?


    Yup.

    > Mine a Giant Hybrid X-something or other (a lot more road than
    > mountain!)


    Does the cable to the front derailleur pull from above or below? If it's
    from above then it's MTB stylee.
     
  8. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Simonb
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Goat wrote:
    >
    >> what is "MTB": Mountain Bike?

    >
    > Yup.
    >
    >> Mine a Giant Hybrid X-something or other (a lot more road than
    >> mountain!)

    >
    > Does the cable to the front derailleur pull from above or below? If
    > it's from above then it's MTB stylee.


    That's a horrid over-generalisation. In this house we have five mountain
    bikes; three (Scott, Cannondale, Klein) pull from the bottom, two
    (Santa Cruz, Grisley) from the top.

    In any case the OP said his was a top pull, in his original post.

    --
    [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; All in all you're just another nick in the ball
    -- Think Droid
     
  9. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:

    > That's a horrid over-generalisation. In this house we have five
    > mountain bikes; three (Scott, Cannondale, Klein) pull from the
    > bottom, two (Santa Cruz, Grisley) from the top.


    And your point is?
     
  10. In news:[email protected],
    Simonb <[email protected]> typed:
    > Simon Brooke wrote:
    >
    >> That's a horrid over-generalisation. In this house we have five
    >> mountain bikes; three (Scott, Cannondale, Klein) pull from the
    >> bottom, two (Santa Cruz, Grisley) from the top.

    >
    > And your point is?


    To show off how many (posh) bikes he's got, obviously.
     
  11. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
    > In news:[email protected],
    > Simonb <[email protected]> typed:
    >> Simon Brooke wrote:
    >>
    >>> That's a horrid over-generalisation. In this house we have five
    >>> mountain bikes; three (Scott, Cannondale, Klein) pull from the
    >>> bottom, two (Santa Cruz, Grisley) from the top.

    >>
    >> And your point is?

    >
    > To show off how many (posh) bikes he's got, obviously.


    Ah.
     
  12. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Simonb wrote:
    > Simon Brooke wrote:
    >
    >> That's a horrid over-generalisation. In this house we have five
    >> mountain bikes; three (Scott, Cannondale, Klein) pull from the
    >> bottom, two (Santa Cruz, Grisley) from the top.

    >
    > And your point is?


    That MTB front mechs can be bottom or top pull.

    The more relevant points are that the MTB ones are designed for small
    chainrings and the travel per mm of cable pulled is different to Shimano
    road front mechs (relevant to indexed shifters).

    ~PB
     
  13. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Goat wrote:
    > Mine a Giant Hybrid X-something or other (a lot more road than
    > mountain!)


    Doesn't matter about the name or the marketing. You'll probably be better
    off sticking to this "MTB" sector for front derailleurs if the chainrings
    and gear levers are also "MTB" style.

    ~PB
     
  14. Steve Peake

    Steve Peake Guest

    On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 19:23:30 +0100, Goat wrote:

    > My front derailleur is very wobbly and worn out.
    > It is a shimano FD-M330 , top pull, for a 31.8mm bracket diameter.
    > The gear train is a 24 speed, shimano (avivo) rear derailleur and
    > 8-speed rear cassette.


    Watch out, rather too many generalised posts in this thread.

    The FD-M330 shows on the shimano web site as a ***TOP SWING*** derailleur,
    so you need to buy a top pull-top swing model, a normal model may not fit.
    Check on the component web site, top swing and normal look completely
    different.

    I assume its top swing as you have something with a rear swing arm?

    Steve
     
  15. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:
    > Simonb wrote:
    >> Simon Brooke wrote:
    >>
    >>> That's a horrid over-generalisation. In this house we have five
    >>> mountain bikes; three (Scott, Cannondale, Klein) pull from the
    >>> bottom, two (Santa Cruz, Grisley) from the top.

    >>
    >> And your point is?

    >
    > That MTB front mechs can be bottom or top pull.


    Did I say that MTB mechs could only be top-pull?
     
  16. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Simonb
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Simon Brooke wrote:
    >
    >> That's a horrid over-generalisation. In this house we have five
    >> mountain bikes; three (Scott, Cannondale, Klein) pull from the
    >> bottom, two (Santa Cruz, Grisley) from the top.

    >
    > And your point is?


    Over snipping, dear boy. In the post I was responding to you said:

    >>> Does the cable to the front derailleur pull from above or below? If
    >>> it's from above then it's MTB stylee.'


    There are MTB deraileurs that pull from above and from below, and there
    are non MTB deraileurs that pull from above and from below. So pulling
    from above is not at all diagnostic of an 'MTB stylee' mech.

    --
    [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    ;; This email may contain confidential or otherwise privileged
    ;; information, though, quite frankly, if you're not the intended
    ;; recipient and you've got nothing better to do than read other
    ;; folks' emails then I'm glad to have brightened up your sad little
    ;; life a tiny bit.
     
  17. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:

    > There are MTB deraileurs that pull from above and from below, and
    > there are non MTB deraileurs that pull from above and from below. So
    > pulling from above is not at all diagnostic of an 'MTB stylee' mech.


    Oooh. Horrid, horrid generalisation.
     
  18. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Simonb
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Simon Brooke wrote:
    >
    >> There are MTB deraileurs that pull from above and from below, and
    >> there are non MTB deraileurs that pull from above and from below. So
    >> pulling from above is not at all diagnostic of an 'MTB stylee' mech.

    >
    > Oooh. Horrid, horrid generalisation.


    No generalisation there at all, on the contrary. Learn to read, and then
    learn to write English.

    --
    [email protected]asmine.org.uk (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    Wise man with foot in mouth use opportunity to clean toes.
    ;; the Worlock
     
  19. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:

    > No generalisation there at all, on the contrary. Learn to read, and
    > then learn to write English.


    OK Simon. Will do.
     
  20. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Simonb wrote:
    > Pete Biggs wrote:
    >> Simonb wrote:
    >>> Simon Brooke wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> That's a horrid over-generalisation. In this house we have five
    >>>> mountain bikes; three (Scott, Cannondale, Klein) pull from the
    >>>> bottom, two (Santa Cruz, Grisley) from the top.
    >>>
    >>> And your point is?

    >>
    >> That MTB front mechs can be bottom or top pull.

    >
    > Did I say that MTB mechs could only be top-pull?


    No indeed, but you didn't make that clear. I was just adding info; Simon
    was the one that misunderstood you.

    ~PB
     
Loading...
Loading...