front derailleur ergo power compatability

E Goforth

Guest
Hello,

Will an old Super Record front derailleur work (well) with Ergopower
shifters? This would be in an 8-speed system.

-Eric

E Goforth wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Will an old Super Record front derailleur work (well) with Ergopower
> shifters? This would be in an 8-speed system.
>
> -Eric

Yes it will. The design of the ERGO left shifter, as a 'ratcheting
friction' means it will work with just about anything. I have used ERGO
with SR, NR, Mavic SSC, C-Recprd, Old shimano...all work fine. It
really is just a downtube shifter with 'notches' mounted on the hbars.
If a DT shifter works the FD, ERGO will.

Thanks, I'd wondered if the length of the arm on the front derailleur
that the cable attaches to might be wrong.

Thanks,
Eric

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> E Goforth wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Will an old Super Record front derailleur work (well) with Ergopower
>> shifters? This would be in an 8-speed system.
>>
>> -Eric

> Yes it will. The design of the ERGO left shifter, as a 'ratcheting
> friction' means it will work with just about anything. I have used ERGO
> with SR, NR, Mavic SSC, C-Recprd, Old shimano...all work fine. It
> really is just a downtube shifter with 'notches' mounted on the hbars.
> If a DT shifter works the FD, ERGO will.

good to know :)

thanks

Oh.. with shimano brake levers its the same???

noname wrote:
> good to know :)
>

> thanks
>

> Oh.. with shimano brake levers its the same???

Nope. STI lefts are fully indexed, sometimes with a trim stop. There's
setups where they can work with stuff that isn't designed for them, but
they're not "semi-indexed" like Ergo. And usually the cludged-together
setups with STI don't work nearly as well as a friction shifter would.