Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Front derailleur for close ratios

Started by Craig · · Last activity · 3 posts · 362 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
22 August 2004
Last activity
23 August 2004
Original author
Craig
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
362
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. My old bike had an Exage FD with triple chainrings 28, 34, 40 (it's
    very flat where I live). I recently got a new bike with Alivio FD and
    22, 32, 42 chainrings. Moving the old chainrings to the new bike, the
    Alivio derailleur won't shift cleanly because the geometry of the cage
    is different - it has to be set higher than optimum for the big
    chainring so that it clears the middle one. Clearly it's designed for
    the bigger difference in sizes. I can't fit the old Exage one because
    the seat post diameter is different.

    What current FD would work well with these ratios? Or, if the answer
    is None, what is the minimum acceptable difference in number of teeth?

    And, when buying a new FD, how is the clamp width specified - diameter
    or seat post, or circumference?

    Thanks

  2. My wife's bike with 24-34-40 chainrings is using a Record triple FD without
    problem. I suspect that any FD intended for double chainrings would work,
    it's just that I didn't have a double FD with a 34.9mm clamp. The Deore XT
    FD that was installed with the original 26-36-48 chainrings wouldn't work
    with the 24-34-40 chainrings as the inside of the cage fouled the middle
    chainring unless the FD was raised about 1/2" above where it should be.

    Nick

    "Craig" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    My old bike had an Exage FD with triple chainrings 28, 34, 40 (it's
    very flat where I live). I recently got a new bike with Alivio FD and
    22, 32, 42 chainrings. Moving the old chainrings to the new bike, the
    Alivio derailleur won't shift cleanly because the geometry of the cage
    is different - it has to be set higher than optimum for the big
    chainring so that it clears the middle one. Clearly it's designed for
    the bigger difference in sizes. I can't fit the old Exage one because
    the seat post diameter is different.

  3. I just set up my half step plus granny touring bike with a Shimano
    Sora double front derailleur. Chainrings of 45-42-20. Shifts OK.
    Cost was about $11.50 for the derailleur from Nashbar. Surprisingly
    the derailleur is able to handle the 25 tooth difference on the front
    without the chain dragging on the bottom of the cage when in the small
    cogs in back.

    [email hidden] (Craig) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    My old bike had an Exage FD with triple chainrings 28, 34, 40 (it's
    very flat where I live). I recently got a new bike with Alivio FD and
    22, 32, 42 chainrings. Moving the old chainrings to the new bike, the
    Alivio derailleur won't shift cleanly because the geometry of the cage
    is different - it has to be set higher than optimum for the big
    chainring so that it clears the middle one. Clearly it's designed for
    the bigger difference in sizes. I can't fit the old Exage one because
    the seat post diameter is different.

    What current FD would work well with these ratios? Or, if the answer
    is None, what is the minimum acceptable difference in number of teeth?

    And, when buying a new FD, how is the clamp width specified - diameter
    or seat post, or circumference?

    Thanks

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.