Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Front Derailleur noise when cross-chained - Normal?

Started by Flybane · · Last activity · 2 posts · 485 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
19 August 2006
Last activity
19 August 2006
Original author
Flybane
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
485
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello,

    I'm new and would appreciate your patience - I have checked the
    archives, but I apologize if this has already been covered.

    Is it normal for the front derailleur to rub the chain in cross-chained
    gears?

    (Just to be clear, I do NOT cross-chain as a matter of course. This is
    all "theoretical" since I my understanding is that it is not good for
    the drivetrain to ride this way.)

    However, I've been checking and tuning my bike wanting to learn to take
    better care of it, and for perfection's sake, was
    trying to optimize the derailleur. I found that it was impossible to
    eliminate noise in the two cross-chain gears - if I cleared one, the
    other would grind. I realize that in real life I wouldn't ride those
    gears anyway, but as a bit of perfectionist, it bothers me anyway.

    If any of this data helps, my bike is a 14 inch Giant Yukon, 22-32-42
    chainrings with Shimano Altus derailleur, eight cogs with Shimano Acera
    derailleur.

    Again, thanks for your patience!

    "Julian"

  2. Flybane said:

    Hello,

    I'm new and would appreciate your patience - I have checked the
    archives, but I apologize if this has already been covered.

    Is it normal for the front derailleur to rub the chain in
    cross-chained gears?

    (Just to be clear, I do NOT cross-chain as a matter of course. This
    is all "theoretical" since I my understanding is that it is not good
    for the drivetrain to ride this way.)

    However, I've been checking and tuning my bike wanting to learn to
    take better care of it, and for perfection's sake, was
    trying to optimize the derailleur. I found that it was impossible to
    eliminate noise in the two cross-chain gears - if I cleared one, the
    other would grind. I realize that in real life I wouldn't ride those
    gears anyway, but as a bit of perfectionist, it bothers me anyway.

    If any of this data helps, my bike is a 14 inch Giant Yukon, 22-32-42
    chainrings with Shimano Altus derailleur, eight cogs with Shimano
    Acera derailleur.

    Again, thanks for your patience!

    "Julian"

    MTB cross-chaining in most cases doesn't cause chain rub because the
    chainrings are smaller than on road bikes, but if it does, it's not a big
    deal. You should be able to at least adjust the middle ring to get all 8
    cogs in the rear with no rub.
    --
    Phil Lee, Squid

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.