Front Derailleur On Carbon Fiber Frame: Braze-On Or Clamp-On?



Climbing_Eben

New Member
Jan 23, 2008
23
0
0
Yojimbo_ said:
I have a LOOK 565 frame, and it's clamp on for the front derailleur.

Given a choice, I want the clamp on because if I ever install a compact crank, it will be a very simple matter to lower the clamp to compensate. Not sure how to do this with a braze on.

All Braze-on attachments allow a wide range of adjustable vertical possitions within the attachment. It is very easy to move them up and down.
 

dhk2

Well-Known Member
Aug 8, 2006
2,214
74
48
75
alienator said:
Yup. It's a matter of where you live and ride. I use 50/11 and 50/12 a lot, descending the mountains 'round here.
My big gear is 53/12, but who pedals downhill? Normally I get better results by tucking in tight and relying on my inherent mass properties to zoom past the skinny types who've just beaten me to the top:)

BTW, have you heard of the PACTOUR Desert Training Camps run out of Tucson by Lon Haldemann? A few of our local club riders go out there every spring to get in some big miles and big climbs around southern AZ.
 

alienator

Well-Known Member
Jun 10, 2004
12,596
310
0
Climbing_Eben said:
All Braze-on attachments allow a wide range of adjustable vertical possitions within the attachment. It is very easy to move them up and down.

Not necessarily so. There were some frames--big name frames, at that--whose braze on mounts didn't offer enough adjustability for compact cranks. Maybe that's changed, maybe it hasn't. I dunno.
 

alienator

Well-Known Member
Jun 10, 2004
12,596
310
0
dhk2 said:
My big gear is 53/12, but who pedals downhill? Normally I get better results by tucking in tight and relying on my inherent mass properties to zoom past the skinny types who've just beaten me to the top:)

Ah, but 25 miles of downhill get boring iffin' you don't pedal! I'll pedal 'til I spin out or my laziness starts to dominate.

dhk2 said:
BTW, have you heard of the PACTOUR Desert Training Camps run out of Tucson by Lon Haldemann? A few of our local club riders go out there every spring to get in some big miles and big climbs around southern AZ.

Yup. I ran into a friend of Haldemann's on a ride this summer, and he tried to convince me that what I really wanted to do was ride in one of several local 24 or 48 hour events. Uhm, no thank you.

There are, as you might expect, quite a few camps run, here. Gord Fraser is running one now, and he's a pretty good joe. Then there's always the option of skipping the camps and just riding with the Fairwheel Bike rides every day (except on Sunday, 'cuz they don't have 'em then.). The Saturday Shoot Out is legendary, and iffin' you're feelin' lucky, you can test your legs by tryin' to outsprint Gord Fraser, or in the winter time, Tom Danielson, as well as others from Team Healthnet, Jelly Belly, and etc.
 

sogood

New Member
Aug 24, 2006
2,148
0
36
dhk2 said:
My big gear is 53/12, but who pedals downhill? Normally I get better results by tucking in tight and relying on my inherent mass properties to zoom past the skinny types who've just beaten me to the top:)
If you are doing 2x20 or other forms of interval, you'll need to continue to put the power in and pedal. Another scenario where high gearing is required.
 

artemidorus

New Member
Mar 10, 2004
2,307
0
36
sogood said:
If you are doing 2x20 or other forms of interval, you'll need to continue to put the power in and pedal. Another scenario where high gearing is required.
..or else find a flattish spot for your intervals. I find it really hard to keep at level 5 going downhill or with a tailwind.
 

sogood

New Member
Aug 24, 2006
2,148
0
36
artemidorus said:
..or else find a flattish spot for your intervals. I find it really hard to keep at level 5 going downhill or with a tailwind.
I understand that some people aren't so fortunate. As said earlier, it is one scenario where 53/11 or 50/11 may be necessary.
 

epicxt

New Member
Feb 5, 2008
1
0
0
Add Trek Madones to the list of CF bikes w/ clamp-on ft. derailleurs. Parlee was mentioned earlier, and I just wanted to point out that they have a tasty-looking ft. derailleur clamp (if you're willing to spend the $!):eek: