Front Derailleur On Carbon Fiber Frame: Braze-On Or Clamp-On?

SUPER RIDER

Nov 29, 2004
Hello All,

I am about to buy a CF frame in a group buy and the sellers are asking what option I want on the bike.

Specifically, they are asking what type of front derailleur mount I want. The options are:

1) Braze-On;

2) Clamp-On 31.8mm; and

3) Clamp-On 34.9mm

I do not know much about carbon fiber frames, and thus would appreciate if you people can give advice as to which of the options is appropriate.

They also want to know if I'll prefer the (39x53) or the (34x50) crankset. I am leaning towards the 39x53 coupled with an (11-26)cassette.

The components are SRAM RED.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for all responses.

Super Rider

There should be a mounting bracket supplied by the bike maker to take a BRAZE ON Front Derailleur.

When in doubt, order a BRAZE ON front derailleur ... I only recall one CF frame which used/(uses?) a clamp on front derailleur ... and, you can always buy an adapter clamp if you end up with that one particular CF frame brand.

Crank type (compact vs. standard) & gearing depends on YOU & your fitness level ... how low a gear ratio do you need/want?

BTW. Why pay the exorbitant premium for the SRAM RED unless it's a me-too situation with the rest of your "group" (is it a "team" acquisition?) when Campagnolo will give you more bang-for-your-buck OR are you saying that the frames, alone, are part of the group buy?

I have a LOOK 565 frame, and it's clamp on for the front derailleur.

Given a choice, I want the clamp on because if I ever install a compact crank, it will be a very simple matter to lower the clamp to compensate. Not sure how to do this with a braze on.

alfeng said:
When in doubt, order a BRAZE ON front derailleur ... I only recall one CF frame which used/(uses?) a clamp on front derailleur ... and, you can always buy an adapter clamp if you end up with that one particular CF frame brand.

Crank type (compact vs. standard) & gearing depends on YOU & your fitness level ... how low a gear ratio do you need/want?

BTW. Why pay the exorbitant premium for the SRAM RED unless it's a me-too situation with the rest of your "group" (is it a "team" acquisition?) when Campagnolo will give you more bang-for-your-buck OR are you saying that the frames, alone, are part of the group buy?
The SRAM RED is part of a group buy, as well as the frame. I am a Shimano kind of guy, and I think I'll pass on the RED. I can then wait until I have some money to put all Dura-Ace on the frame.

If I'll eventually put Dura-Ace on the frame, what kind of derailleur mount should I ask for from the manufacturers?

Super Rider

What If I do decide to eventually hang a Shimano Dura-Ace group on the frame?

What kind of front derailleur mount should I ask the manufacturer for?

Super Rider

If you're positive that you want to use a conventional 53/39 crankset, get the braze-on (bond-on?) because it's cleaner looking.

If you have any doubt about maybe wanting to try a compact at some point in the future, I'd go with a clamp-on for better adjustability.

SUPER RIDER said:
Hello All,

I am about to buy a CF frame in a group buy and the sellers are asking what option I want on the bike.

Specifically, they are asking what type of front derailleur mount I want. The options are:

1) Braze-On;

2) Clamp-On 31.8mm; and

3) Clamp-On 34.9mm

I do not know much about carbon fiber frames, and thus would appreciate if you people can give advice as to which of the options is appropriate.

They also want to know if I'll prefer the (39x53) or the (34x50) crankset. I am leaning towards the 39x53 coupled with an (11-26)cassette.

The components are SRAM RED.

What do you guys think?

Super Rider

If the frame is designed to use a clampon FD, get a clampon. Much more versatile in terms of adjustment. 53/11 is a BIG gear. When you get an 11t, you lose an interior cog. Ask yourself which you would use more.

alfeng said:

Calfee and Parlee both use clampon as does Look, as well as others..for info. Not that unusual.

Peter@vecchios said:
Calfee and Parlee both use clampon as does Look, as well as others..for info. Not that unusual.
HMmmm. I wasn't even thinking of those Marques (obviously!) ... and now, I'm not even sure whether the frame I was thinking of uses a braze-on or a clamp-on front derailleur; but, at the time, I could only remember seeing one CF frame with a clamp-on front derailleur (and, it wasn't the one I have).

SUPER RIDER said:
Hello All,

Specifically, they are asking what type of front dérailleur mount I want. The options are:

1) Braze-On;

2) Clamp-On 31.8mm; and

3) Clamp-On 34.9mm

They also want to know if I'll prefer the (39x53) or the (34x50) crank set. I am leaning towards the 39x53 coupled with an (11-26)cassette.

Super Rider

What kind of frame?

Peter@vecchios said:
If the frame is designed to use a clampon FD, get a clampon. Much more versatile in terms of adjustment. 53/11 is a BIG gear. When you get an 11t, you lose an interior cog. Ask yourself which you would use more.
I currently ride a CAAD 8 52x39x30 triple. The only SRAM cassettes offered as part of the group buy are 11x23 and 11x26. I have decided that the 11x26 is more in tune with the Shimano Ultegra cassettes I currently like, which are 12-25 and 12-27.

My current agonisation is about which of the cranksets to choose. The 53x39 currently comes closer to my current triple set-up on my Cannondale, but maybe the 50x34 would be okay too. We'll see. In fact, when I calculate the gears, the 50x34 can work within reasonable limits.

Super

"braze-on" front deraileur hangers are adjustable... don't know why people are saying they are not. i have a Giant TCR with "braze-on" FT deraileur hanger and i use 53x39 and 50x34 with no problems.. takes 1min to adjust up or down.. tops.. just loosen the bolt and move it down or up. can't use a clamp because the tubes are not round at that point.

most manufactures will not actually "bond" the hanger, they will actually use rivet nuts, so if the hanger ever brakes you can just unscrew it and put another hanger on.

there is really no difference, but i'm very surprised they are actually giving you a choice... are you sure they are giving you a choice? usually the manufacture will do one or the other...think you should check and see which frame you are getting and if it has a "braze-on" FT hanger or not.. check if you really have a choice or are they just depending on you to know which frame you are getting and if it has a braze-on or clamp on it.

the other thing is that you can get a clamp that will accept the braze-on derailleur... so if you get the braze-on and get a clamp that will accept it you can use it later on a frame that has a braze-on hanger

the only differences i can see are:
- the clamp-on may damage the frame finish if you move it up and down for reg and compact crank sets often
- the braze-on is likely a little bit clearer looking

but again usually you don't have a choice it just comes down to how they manufacture the frame... you should check this

is it the frame below?

• Semi-compact sloping top tube geometry
  • Size: XS, S, M, L, XL (detailed geometry will be released later)
  • Color: Black, Red-black w/ 3k carbon weave
  • Weight: 960 g (M)
  • High modulus carbon monocoque
  • Head tube for 1-1/8” Cane Creek IS compatible integrated headset
  • Seat post diameter 31.6 mm
  • Replaceable dropouts
  • Clamped-on front derailleur 34.9 mm
  • Outer cable routing
  • English threaded 68mm bottom bracket
  • Warranty: 5 years
...then it's kinda what i thought.. you need to get a 34.9 clamp-on front derailleur

OR

a braze-on derailleur with a 34.9 clamp addapter
Campagnolo%20Frt%20Der%20Clamp%20Adapter.jpg

RS2-frameset-red.jpg

Yep, that is the frame. It would be nice to switch between the 53x39 crankset that I am ordering with the frame, and a compact crankset.

By the way, the component group is SRAM Red.

Super

doctorSpoc said:
is it the frame below?
  • Semi-compact sloping top tube geometry
  • Size: XS, S, M, L, XL (detailed geometry will be released later)
  • Color: Black, Red-black w/ 3k carbon weave
  • Weight: 960 g (M)
  • High modulus carbon monocoque
  • Head tube for 1-1/8” Cane Creek IS compatible integrated headset
  • Seat post diameter 31.6 mm
  • Replaceable dropouts
  • Clamped-on front derailleur 34.9 mm
  • Outer cable routing
  • English threaded 68mm bottom bracket
  • Warranty: 5 years
...then it's kinda what i thought.. you need to get a 34.9 clamp-on front derailleur

OR

a braze-on derailleur with a 34.9 clamp addapter
Campagnolo%20Frt%20Der%20Clamp%20Adapter.jpg

RS2-frameset-red.jpg

SUPER RIDER said:
Yep, that is the frame. It would be nice to switch between the 53x39 crankset that I am ordering with the frame, and a compact crankset.

By the way, the component group is SRAM Red.

Super
well given your frame you have no choice, there is no hanger attached directly to the frame (with rivet nuts or other wise) so you will need a clamp... i would likely just go with the a 34.9 clamp-on front derailleur as they recommend. even though you could get a clamp addapter and a braze-on type derailleur i usually find that the less moving part the better... the less things that can break, come loose etc and the less flex... i would just go with the 34.9 clamp-on front derailleur

I have made a decision to only buy braze-on FDs. With a braze-on, you can alway match it to a clamp ring as required, making transfers from bike to bike easy. With a fixed clamp-on FD, it's often stuck to that one bike given the variation in seat tubes these days.

Peter@vecchios said:
+1. I use my 53/12 combination once or twice a month.

artemidorus said:
+1. I use my 53/12 combination once or twice a month.

Yup. It's a matter of where you live and ride. I use 50/11 and 50/12 a lot, descending the mountains 'round here.